The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 17, 2021, 11:51 AM   #1
Mike38

Magazine protection, pocket carry.

What do you guys / gals use to protect the finish of a magazine that is being pocket carried? I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32 in my right front pocket. A spare magazine in my left front pocket. Problem is I also carry coins in my left front pocket and may accelerate wear on the mag body or mag lips. The thought of a thin and light weight sleeve over the mag popped into my cranium, but then a side thought of forgetting the mag is covered during the heat of the moment in a self defense situation could be a problem. I don't want to use a belt clip mag holder, a visible mag is a sign I'm carrying. Any thoughts? Am I over thinking?
Old April 17, 2021, 01:17 PM   #2
PolarFBear

Put it in an eye glass case.
Old April 17, 2021, 01:24 PM   #3
sikiguya

Either stop carrying coins or get a coin purse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old April 17, 2021, 02:18 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
What do you guys / gals use to protect the finish of a magazine that is being pocket carried? I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32 in my right front pocket. A spare magazine in my left front pocket. Problem is I also carry coins in my left front pocket and may accelerate wear on the mag body or mag lips. The thought of a thin and light weight sleeve over the mag popped into my cranium, but then a side thought of forgetting the mag is covered during the heat of the moment in a self defense situation could be a problem. I don't want to use a belt clip mag holder, a visible mag is a sign I'm carrying. Any thoughts? Am I over thinking?
magazines that get used are going to get scuffed up. Accept it.

Try the DeSantis pocket magzine carrier. ("Magpacker"?)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 17, 2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

I carry a spare mag in the front left pocket. It is in with a phone, keys, and sometimes change. It needs cleaning and and a wipe down with a lightly oiled paper towel about once a month to get rid of pocket lint and prevent surface rust, Been carrying that way for years. never had an issue.
Old April 17, 2021, 05:52 PM   #6
Mike38

lee n. field, thanks for the tip. Looks to be just what I need.

https://www.desantisholster.com/mag-packer/
Old April 17, 2021, 05:56 PM   #7
Mike38

Quote:
Put it in an eye glass case.
Now that's a thought! Those soft sided eye glass cases that you get with readers. Length can be cut down to the size of the mag. Thanks.
Old April 17, 2021, 06:11 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

If you're going to put a magazine in your pocket, it needs to be the ONLY thing in the pocket.

No coins, keys, knives. You don't want to grab for your mag and get something else instead. Or get something else in addition to the magazine and have to fumble around to drop what you don't want while keeping what you do want. You don't want anything damaging the magazine or the ammunition.

No lint or other pocket dirt. Clean the lint out of your pocket before you put a magazine in there. You don't want a chunk of pocket lint getting into the magazine and potentially causing function issues.

I suppose that putting the magazine in its own container inside the pocket solves some of those problems but also incurs a significant penalty in terms of ease access.

It's not that likely that you'll need a spare magazine, but if you do, you will want it to work and you will want to be able to access it easily and rapidly.

The key here is to think about WHY you are carrying the magazine. If it's just to have a nice warm fuzzy, then it really doesn't matter. If it's to provide a means of dealing with a magazine related stoppage, or to provide the opportunity to reload in the middle of a self-defense encounter, then rapidity of access is critical and putting it in a pocket in a separate container probably doesn't make sense. If it's to provide the opportunity to reload with a full mag after a self-defense shooting, then ease of access isn't a big deal but you do still want the mag to be functional so maybe a separate container makes sense.
Old April 17, 2021, 06:45 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38
I don't want to use a belt clip mag holder, a visible mag is a sign I'm carrying.
Do you mention this because you're normally tucking in your shirt? The clips by themselves can be pretty discrete if against a belt of the same color, and if you wear a shirt that goes passed your waist no one will see it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 17, 2021, 07:12 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

If you want to belt carry without it sticking out like a sore thumb, get a old nylon leatherman or gerber knife pouch.
Old April 17, 2021, 08:01 PM   #11
gonzogeezer

Magazine protection, pocket carry.

Ammo Armor.
Old April 17, 2021, 09:36 PM   #12
Mike38

gonzogeezer, that's exactly what I envisioned in my mind. I had no idea such a thing existed.
Old April 18, 2021, 03:59 AM   #13
gonzogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
gonzogeezer, that's exactly what I envisioned in my mind. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Sizes to fit most brands. I also have single stack .45 and double stack 9mm evamples. Small company, nice people.
Old April 18, 2021, 08:35 AM   #14
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogeezer View Post
Ammo Armor.
So, does that stick to the pocket or did you just make it so your spare mag requires two hands to access?

I'm with JohnKSa if I've got a mag in the pocket, it's the only thing and usually has a Neomag holding it place to keep it easily available, everything else goes in my other pockets. Can't say I've carried coins in my pocket in many years, other than to accept change until I hand it to one of my kids for their piggy banks (after chores).
Old April 18, 2021, 08:49 AM   #15
Forte S+W

Most of my carry guns have stainless steel magazines, so I don't worry much about finish wear. For the others, I just put them in pockets without anything abrasive in them so that the finish doesn't get worn.
Old April 18, 2021, 06:59 PM   #16
raimius

Something like a Neomag, Desantis Mag-packer, or an IWB tuckable mag holster would work.

I also DO NOT recommend having life-saving items floating around with random other daily items in your pockets. I've done one or two pocket dumps looking for a mag at the range. I wouldn't want that if my opponent wasn't a piece of paper at 7yds!
Old April 19, 2021, 03:41 PM   #17
Cosmodragoon

Use a pocket organizer. Not only will the right pocket organizer protect a magazine and fix its orientation in the pocket, it can also let stow a pen, flashlight, or other item alongside it.
Old April 26, 2021, 09:53 AM   #18
veprdude

My dad used to pocket carry with coins. Until a coin lodged itself in the magazine. However it's carried, I think it's paramount that the magazine stay clean and the top round doesn't partially work its way out.
Old April 26, 2021, 11:16 AM   #19
pwc

Stand it on end on your back pocket next to your wallet
Old April 26, 2021, 03:30 PM   #20
Reloadron

I seldom carry a spare mag but when I do they go like this:

Ron
Old April 26, 2021, 08:15 PM   #21
Carl the Floor Walker

Remora mag pouch. These have Kahr CM9 mags with extended grips, but do even better for 380.

Old April 27, 2021, 08:17 AM   #22
sarge83

My rule of thumb is if I am pocket carrying nothing goes in that pocket except the firearm and the holster.
Old April 27, 2021, 09:28 AM   #23
Carl the Floor Walker

You can easily put the Remora in the rear pocket.
Old April 28, 2021, 09:33 AM   #24
jr24

I like that.
Old April 28, 2021, 02:13 PM   #25
Webleymkv

When I carry my S&W Shield, I use the Cargo Nemesis Pouch from Desantis to carry two spare mags in my left cargo pocked (I've pretty much switched over to wearing cargo pants/shorts for the last couple of years).

https://www.desantisholster.com/cargo-nemesis-pouch/

If you wanted to carry in a regular pants pocket, they also offer the Mag-Packer, but this wouldn't work for me personally as I wouldn't have any pockets to put my keys, pocket knife, flashlight, etc. in.

https://www.desantisholster.com/mag-packer/