The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 12, 2021, 05:31 PM   #26
Shadow9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,370
Update, Got things sorted out, bad gauge I think.

The Factory Winchester and Hornady Cartridges, both needed a light push to fully seat in the Hornady Gauge. Both were at max headspace or just below. My small base resized brass dropped in and out freely (a good sign in my opinion) but were right at max headspace as well.

I received my L.E. Wilson headspace gauge today. Granted this is intended to measure headspace and neck length but not body diameter.

With the L.W. Wilson gauge, ALL cartridges dropped in and out freely (as expected). ALL factory ammo, and my resized brass were at or just a hare above the MIN line, and well below max.

I am going to chalk this up to a gauge issue. the Hornady gauge was supposed to be cut at max SAAMI specs. I find that hard to believe. the Hornady Gauge is getting returned.

Lesson learned, don't settle for less than L.E. Wilson headspace gauges...
__________________
I don't believe in "range fodder" that is why I reload.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; April 12, 2021 at 05:49 PM.
Shadow9mm is offline  
Old April 12, 2021, 07:09 PM   #27
stagpanther
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 2, 2014
Posts: 8,425
I'd still keep an eye on your fired brass to get an idea of how hard your brass might be being worked--using the comparator is still a good idea.
__________________
If you’re ever hiking in the woods and you get lost, just look up and find the brightest star in the sky and you’ll know which way space is.
I am NOT an expert--I do not have any formal experience or certification in firearms use or testing; use any information I post at your own risk!
stagpanther is offline  
Old April 12, 2021, 07:30 PM   #28
hammered54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 28, 2010
Location: Pinckney,Michigan
Posts: 140
glad you have this figured out.
I have and still use the wilsons I bought in the past....but Im now a true believer in the Sheridan cut away case gagues !....you see EVERYTHING.

Matt.
hammered54 is offline  
Old April 12, 2021, 07:51 PM   #29
Shadow9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammered54 View Post
glad you have this figured out.
I have and still use the wilsons I bought in the past....but Im now a true believer in the Sheridan cut away case gagues !....you see EVERYTHING.

Matt.
Dang it all! Those are some SEXY gauges.... gonna have to get some in the near future to compliment my Wilson headspace gauges....
__________________
I don't believe in "range fodder" that is why I reload.
Shadow9mm is offline  
Old April 12, 2021, 08:42 PM   #30
Shadow9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I'd still keep an eye on your fired brass to get an idea of how hard your brass might be being worked--using the comparator is still a good idea.
Don't have a comparitor. but I will be checking fired brass in the headspace gauge to see how much it is moving.

I am currently in a pickle with my calipers and have to decide what to do. I was trying to measure some stuff the other day and not getting consistent results. I started looking into having my calipers calibrated and realized they are only accurate to +/- 0.001... meaning if I measure say a 308 casings at 2.010, it could be between 2.009 to 2.011. I am looking for a better set of calipers, but precise options are limited and expensive. like I said, in a pickle.
__________________
I don't believe in "range fodder" that is why I reload.
Shadow9mm is offline  
Old April 14, 2021, 03:47 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff
 
Join Date: March 4, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,628
All that salt and vinegar can make your eyes sting.

A lot of digital calipers have half-thousandth resolution now, but accuracy is trickier than resolution and you have to learn how to close the jaws without flexing anything. I pinch them closed between my thumb and index finger for better precision. The best thing is to have one of the micrometer calibration standards to compare to. If you but a 1-2" micrometer, it will come with a 1" standard to zero it against, or a 2-3" micrometer comes with a 2" zero standard, etc. You can practice on those standards with the calipers. Also, a dial micrometer, if it is smooth enough, will let you read between the graduations to resolve tenths of a thousandth, but it needs to be checked against a standard or an accurate pin gauge to confirm your measuring skills with it.

A set of micrometers is not an impossible expense. Amazon has several 0-4" range sets for under $100 and cdcotools.com has a 0-3" set for $58 plus shipping.
__________________
Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Unclenick is offline  
Old April 14, 2021, 05:53 PM   #32
Shadow9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 21, 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
All that salt and vinegar can make your eyes sting.

A lot of digital calipers have half-thousandth resolution now, but accuracy is trickier than resolution and you have to learn how to close the jaws without flexing anything. I pinch them closed between my thumb and index finger for better precision. The best thing is to have one of the micrometer calibration standards to compare to. If you but a 1-2" micrometer, it will come with a 1" standard to zero it against, or a 2-3" micrometer comes with a 2" zero standard, etc. You can practice on those standards with the calipers. Also, a dial micrometer, if it is smooth enough, will let you read between the graduations to resolve tenths of a thousandth, but it needs to be checked against a standard or an accurate pin gauge to confirm your measuring skills with it.

A set of micrometers is not an impossible expense. Amazon has several 0-4" range sets for under $100 and cdcotools.com has a 0-3" set for $58 plus shipping.
I have been considering a set of micrometers for just the reason you stated. However I have never needed a set in all the years I have been reloading and am having a hard time justifying them. I live in a big city and am looking into taking them to a place that toes calibration. I am hoping they will be able to tell me if they are off and calibrate them fore a reasonable price. Also hoping they might have a recommendation for a decent set of calipers that wont cost me $500 to get the accuracy I am looking for...
__________________
I don't believe in "range fodder" that is why I reload.
Shadow9mm is offline  
Old April 15, 2021, 08:45 AM   #33
Unclenick
Staff
 
Join Date: March 4, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,628
IME, calipers are inherently less precise than micrometers, though, with a high-grade dial type, like Mitutoyo, and practice with your technique, you can often get within about 2 tenths of a thousandth. Where micrometers are commonly used in handloading is to measure slugs to get a bore diameter down to 10ths of a thousandth, which is often needed in that application. I also use them together with a small hole transfer gauge to check chamber diameters; revolver throats in particular.
__________________
Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Unclenick is offline  
Old April 16, 2021, 04:57 PM   #34
lll Otto lll
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2008
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
I am currently in a pickle with my calipers and have to decide what to do. I was trying to measure some stuff the other day and not getting consistent results. I started looking into having my calipers calibrated and realized they are only accurate to +/- 0.001... meaning if I measure say a 308 casings at 2.010, it could be between 2.009 to 2.011. I am looking for a better set of calipers, but precise options are limited and expensive. like I said, in a pickle.
FYI, Mitutoyo calipers have an accuracy tolerance of ±.001in as well.
If you want to measure to the ten-thousandths, you'll need a micrometer and I suggest getting a digital one.

You can also verify the accuracy of the calipers you already own by using a gauge block. https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-Stee.../dp/B003U9W8DK
lll Otto lll is offline  
Old April 16, 2021, 05:49 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff
 
Join Date: March 11, 2006
Location: Upper US
Posts: 23,200
Ok, is it this?
Quote:
FYI, Mitutoyo calipers have an accuracy tolerance of ±.001in as well.
or is it "half that" and we round off??

Venier and dial calipers show you the indicator line or needle and can show you it pointing in between the thousandths marks. You (or at least I) can see the line or pointer in between marks and with a careful look can usually see if it is exactly centered or more at one end than the other, with makes their accuracy "to the nearest 0.0005" and not a +/- .001".

Quote:
. meaning if I measure say a 308 casings at 2.010, it could be between 2.009 to 2.011.
I have Mitutoyo's dial calipers and using them, I'd find that 2.010" .308 case to be between 2.0095" and 2.0105" on the 2.010" mark.

yes the total range of the possible spread is .001, but remember that's not .001 on each side of the reading, its only half that.
+/- .0005" not .001"
__________________
All else being equal (and it almost never is) bigger bullets tend to work better.
44 AMP is offline  
Old April 16, 2021, 09:36 PM   #36
Unclenick
Staff
 
Join Date: March 4, 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18,628
Search on board member Clark's past posts. He demonstrates reading between the graduations on a Mitutoyo and confirms the result by another means, IIRC.
__________________
Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Unclenick is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.08100 seconds with 10 queries