The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 21, 2021, 12:39 AM   #51
Ignition Override

As to which other pro-Second Amendment might one day achieve similar clout in Congress....... I have no idea. None at all.

* I'm appalled by the NRA's financial waste.

But I'm not familiar with the other organizations.

My last gun friend moved away a year ago, and my shooting at the private club is always solo. Don't have any friends there.
Old February 21, 2021, 05:28 PM   #52
OneFreeTexan

I wonder what WLP thinks of all this in private talks with friends and staff...
Old February 21, 2021, 07:53 PM   #53
Mike38

Quote:
I wonder what WLP thinks of all this in private talks with friends and staff...
I'm no Psychiatrist, but I don't think Narcissists take accountability or responsibility for anything they do wrong.
Old February 21, 2021, 09:30 PM   #54
JERRYS.

"The NRA" has millions of supporters, however the one being run into the group by wlp does not. get rid of wlp and the bod and watch membership increase. until then, wlp with help from the bod will continue to profit handsomely while membership and organizational clout fall. wlp and his bod will not step down as that would signal that everyone else was right. his ego simply won't let that happen.
Old February 23, 2021, 12:45 AM   #55
imp

Ego aside, the one man with the power to save the NRA, is WLP.

While I'm certain that he has legal limits on what can and can not be disclosed to the public, if he actually valued the rhetoric he puts forward, he would have the board of directors approve changes to the bylaws giving the rank and file a voice in the organization again, and then step down. For the good of the NRA.

His decision to play legal games and obfuscate the truth from members in order to retain his position is all I need to convince me that his actions are not in the best interests of the NRA.
Old February 25, 2021, 04:41 PM   #56
Wyoredman

I am the NRA.
I just renewed my 5 year membership.
I really do not like Mr. LaPierre.
BUT we need the NRA!

I hope they get things straightened out soon and get back to providing the shooting sports with the representation, training and support we all need.

I would also join other organizations. What are they? How do we join?

Thanks, Wyoredman.
Old February 25, 2021, 10:06 PM   #57
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoredman
I would also join other organizations. What are they? How do we join?
Gun Owners of America (GOA)
Second Amendment Foundation (SAF)
Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA)
Jeepaholic
Old February 26, 2021, 10:40 AM   #58
Wyoredman

Thank you.

GOA - $25
SAF - $15
CCRKBA - $15

Pretty cheap!

I hope it helps.

Thanks again.
Old February 26, 2021, 12:41 PM   #59
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Dollars to these other organizations obviously help. That said, one of the things that made the NRA the (or at least "a") 800-pound gorilla was the 5 million members. So joining the other groups (I don't think the SAF is a membership organization, but GOA and CCRKBA are) even at the minimum dues level adds to their membership numbers, and that has to help when they address congresscritters.
Jeepaholic
Old February 26, 2021, 01:28 PM   #60
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
....(I don't think the SAF is a membership organization, but GOA and CCRKBA are)....
SAF does have memberships, you can sign up at this link.

Other than the NRA, has any other 2nd amendment organization even hinted at their membership level? It would be interesting to see how they compare to the roughly 5 million NRA members. I suspect that most, if not all, are under the million member mark. Probably some are only in the thousands of members.
Old February 26, 2021, 01:42 PM   #61
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
So joining the other groups (I don't think the SAF is a membership organization, but GOA and CCRKBA are) even at the minimum dues level adds to their membership numbers, and that has to help when they address congresscritters.
Remember, dues are not what go to the lobbyists. Dues keep the organization alive. Separate donations go toward lobbying efforts...
https://donate.gunowners.org
https://www.ccrkba.org/donations/
Old February 26, 2021, 05:17 PM   #62
TailGator

I wonder if the NRA is still at 5 million members? I imagine that the exposure of Mr. LaPierre's malfeasance has reduced membership to some degree or other. It would be interesting to know how much it has dropped in the last year or two, but I'm not at all sure we would get a truthful answer from leadership.
Old February 26, 2021, 06:51 PM   #63
JERRYS.

if you ever wonder why the 2nd Amendment is dying a death by a thousand cuts think about this: ~80 million law abiding gun owners, and the largest pro 2nd Amendment organization is the NRA and at its best is/was only ~5 million members, or just over 5% of law abiding gun owners. wlp and his bod are not helping the NRA at all let alone the future of the 2nd Amendment.
Old February 26, 2021, 07:25 PM   #64
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
if you ever wonder why the 2nd Amendment is dying a death by a thousand cuts think about this: ~80 million law abiding gun owners, and the largest pro 2nd Amendment organization is the NRA and at its best is/was only ~5 million members, or just over 5% of law abiding gun owners. wlp and his bod are not helping the NRA at all let alone the future of the 2nd Amendment.
I really don't think you should have to pay money to keep rights in the Bill of Rights in the U.S. Constitution.
Old February 26, 2021, 07:45 PM   #65
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATN082268 View Post
I really don't think you should have to pay money to keep rights in the Bill of Rights in the U.S. Constitution.
neither do I.

what is your point? do you think politicians care about your one voice? LOLOLOL, they scarcely care about a loosely unified 5 million voices because of the 75 million that don't even bother to be heard.

Last edited by JERRYS.; February 26, 2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old February 26, 2021, 11:07 PM   #66
WyMark

WLP was never in this for the 2A. WLP doesn't give 2 hoots about your rights or anyone else's rights, 2A or any other. WLP stumbled onto a cash cow back in the early 1990's and figured out how he could take control of it. Then he proceeded to bleed the cow out for the next 25 years, careful to never bleed it completely dry. He's nothing but a grifter and if he hadn't stumbled onto the NRA he'd have opened a TV mega-church to bag donations.

Anyone who thinks that WLP was ever in this for anyone other than WLP is simply delusional.
Old February 27, 2021, 12:42 PM   #67
shurshot

Absolutely! Instead of passing the basket, WLP just keeps sending out requests for donations by mail.
Old February 28, 2021, 09:32 PM   #68
M3 Pilot

WyMark has hit the nail on the head. Well said.
I stopped paying for Wayne's wardrobe,travels and concubines a few years ago.
Old February 28, 2021, 09:46 PM   #69
M3 Pilot

I may be wrong but IIRC Wayne made his first big money importing Korean M1 carbines. He and Vos founded BlueSky in 1983. If this is true, it was in his personal interest to work to protect 2A and I suspect this personal interest was a major factor in his getting to a "leadership" position in the NRA. Not because he had an interest in your 2A rights per se.

Last edited by M3 Pilot; February 28, 2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old April 6, 2021, 02:39 PM   #70
Double Naught Spy

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...yacht-n1263147

Well, in the wake of threats and mass shootings such as Sandy Hook, apparently La Pierre could only find safety on a friend's yacht because the NRA had no idea how to protect their people.
Old April 6, 2021, 03:10 PM   #71
WyMark

Quote:
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good friend with a yacht?
Fair enough question for WLP, I think.
Old April 6, 2021, 07:51 PM   #72
Mainah

Quote:
Well, in the wake of threats and mass shootings such as Sandy Hook, apparently La Pierre could only find safety on a friend's yacht because the NRA had no idea how to protect their people.
And probably sailing on a sea of miracle spring water.
Old April 7, 2021, 02:24 PM   #73
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...yacht-n1263147

Somehow, him hiding like that, "Thank God I'm finally safe!" is just not a confidence inspiring image. Especially for the leader of a powerful 2nd amendment organization.

The picture of Charlton Heston holding a rifle saying, "They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers!" is more like I had in mind.
Old April 7, 2021, 03:51 PM   #74
HiBC

I'm not a Wyoming resident...but a few years ago I bought a 5 year membership to the Wyoming State Shooters Association.
Wyoming does not have a huge population to draw members from,but it does seem to have the regard for the RTKBA that every state in the USA should have.
Old April 25, 2021, 12:09 PM   #75
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Update on the NRA debacle

https://thereload.com/nra-board-call...lations-mount/

There's a hearing coming up soon on the NRA's attempt to file bankruptcy, and the board of directors is attempting to circle the wagons. My first thought, even before reading most of the article, was "Why hold an in-person meeting?" I know right now, personally, there's no way I would get on a commercial airliner, for any reason. Especially now that they have stopped blocking center seats.

Hasn't the NRA and president Meadows ever heard of Zoom and Skype?

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.
Jeepaholic