The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 23, 2021, 03:01 PM   #1
USAF Ret

Bolt Action 308 suggestion

So, I have a Savage 110 Tactical that is a tack driver. I like having backup rifles im the same caliber, but looking for something more in line for hunting. I have some of the cheaper rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor - Ruger American and Savage 111. Looking for something a bit more of the middle to upper class - Good stock, trigger, medium to light weight, with either a threaded barrel or has a muzzle brake. Just looking around last night at Weatherby, Tikka, and even a Christensen. Would like to keep below the $1000 mark. Thanks.

USAF Ret
Old March 23, 2021, 03:35 PM   #2
HiBC

IMO, with today's manufacturing tech, most of the manufacturers produce a "good gun".
From that starting point,I cannot guess what features,properties,aesthetics,and cost/benefits are best for you.

And these days,what you can find matters.You have listed some good choices.

Maybe look at Howa and CZ,too. Some of he more specialized outfits like Berargara seem to offer a lot of value.

If I saw a used MK10 or any other commercial Mauser I'd consider it. You might be surprised what a find a JC Higgins or Ted Williams or Harrington Richardson
can be.

Enjoy the search!!
Old March 23, 2021, 09:12 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Honestly, I have been eyeing one of the Ruger american hunter models. Good stock, heavier barrel. Rugers hammer forged barrels are good barrels. and their triggers are good, unless you just don't like the blade trigger options. I installed a MCARBO trigger spring, and it is down around the 1.5-2lb mark.
Old March 23, 2021, 11:16 PM   #4
rc

If you can find a good used Ruger 77 Mark II, they are pretty decent rifles.
Old March 24, 2021, 06:34 AM   #5
upstate81

Are you looking for a nice wood option or a quality polymer type stock.
Old March 24, 2021, 07:12 AM   #6
USAF Ret

I would love a wood stock, but this is possibly a gun that may see some heavy use, and when wood gets scratched, I cringe a bit. Love the laminate stocks, though. So, preferably laminate or a really good polymer.
Old March 24, 2021, 01:02 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...when wood gets scratched..." That gets fixed with an oil finish. Scratches go away with a bit more oil. Polymers need serious sanding and refinishing to fix a scratch.
A .308 really doesn't need a muzzle brake.
Like HiBC says, hunting rifles are pretty much all the same. You can buy on price alone. Higher end stuff like Weatherbys(made in Japan mostly) and Tikkas aren't really any better than a Savage(that's very hard to beat for out of the box accuracy).
Anyway, the best time of year to buy a hunting rifle is just after deer season. The local shops will have 'em to unload and there will be used rifles(don't discount used), usually scoped. You might find a higher end rifle for much lower prices.
Old March 24, 2021, 01:50 PM   #8
Pistoler0

Man, if I was in the market for a bolt action right now, I would really consider the new straight pull Savage Impulse:
Savage Impulse

It has a threaded muzzle, and several configurations. The Predator has a detachable mag, picatinny rail on top and adjustable comb high, which is what I would go for.
Savage Impulse Predator

Around $1,100

Last edited by Pistoler0; March 24, 2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old March 24, 2021, 05:26 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
Honestly, I have been eyeing one of the Ruger american hunter models.
I had a Hunter for a while. IMO the stock makes it overweight for a hunting rifle. That version sorta bridges the gap between the standard rifle and the Ruger Precision rifle to me.

If I were going Ruger the Predator is my choice. The 18" barrel is enough for 308, you still get a little heavier barrel and it is threaded for a suppressor if needed. It is less expensive too.

I have the Ruger Predators in 223, 308 and 6.5 CM. I like them for what they are, but I bought mine when they were $300-$350. At todays prices for those rifles I'd just pay a bit more and buy a Tikka. Blue runs about $600, SS about $750. I think Tikka is the best rifle under $1000. And better than a lot over $1000.

My Tikka's are only slightly more accurate than the Rugers, but they are more refined. The stocks are much nicer as are the magazines. The weak link with most Rugers are the magazines. Although the Hunter version does use AICS magazines instead of Ruger mags. Some of the Predators do too. My 308 Predator does. My 223 takes AR magazines, only my 6.5 uses standard Ruger mags.

Winston Churchill
Old March 24, 2021, 11:06 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I had a Hunter for a while. IMO the stock makes it overweight for a hunting rifle. That version sorta bridges the gap between the standard rifle and the Ruger Precision rifle to me.

If I were going Ruger the Predator is my choice. The 18" barrel is enough for 308, you still get a little heavier barrel and it is threaded for a suppressor if needed. It is less expensive too.

I have the Ruger Predators in 223, 308 and 6.5 CM. I like them for what they are, but I bought mine when they were $300-$350. At todays prices for those rifles I'd just pay a bit more and buy a Tikka. Blue runs about $600, SS about $750. I think Tikka is the best rifle under $1000. And better than a lot over $1000.

My Tikka's are only slightly more accurate than the Rugers, but they are more refined. The stocks are much nicer as are the magazines. The weak link with most Rugers are the magazines. Although the Hunter version does use AICS magazines instead of Ruger mags. Some of the Predators do too. My 308 Predator does. My 223 takes AR magazines, only my 6.5 uses standard Ruger mags.
I don't understand Ruger. The predator comes in a right hand, but only 18in barrel. Personally I would really prefer 20in.

And it comes in a 22in barrel, but only left handed?

Ruger makes no sense.... which is why I recommended the hunter model.
Old March 27, 2021, 04:27 PM   #11
USAF Ret

Well, after shopping around and studying up, I ended up ordering a Christensen Arms Mesa in 308. First fairly higher end rifle I have ever bought. Thanks for the input.
Old March 27, 2021, 06:00 PM   #12
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Well, after shopping around and studying up, I ended up ordering a Christensen Arms Mesa in 308. First fairly higher end rifle I have ever bought. Thanks for the input.
pics when you get it, or it didn't happen...

and congrats. let us know how it shoots!
Old March 27, 2021, 06:13 PM   #13
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
pics when you get it, or it didn't happen...

and congrats. let us know how it shoots!
Will do. Hoping to get it by Wednesday, if not will be a while. Having surgery Thursday and will be out of commission for about a month. Now I have to find a scope worthy of the firearm on which it sits.
Old March 28, 2021, 10:50 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Will do. Hoping to get it by Wednesday, if not will be a while. Having surgery Thursday and will be out of commission for about a month. Now I have to find a scope worthy of the firearm on which it sits.
Hope the surgery goes well and a quick recovery.

I always head the old adage that the scope should cost as much as the rifle. That would be cost prohibitive...

I wonder if that is still valid with all the advancement we have had in glass quality and manufacture over the years....
Old March 29, 2021, 03:41 PM   #15
Bart B.

Does any commercial rifle have an accuracy guarantee for more than 3 shots?
Old March 30, 2021, 08:56 AM   #16
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Hope the surgery goes well and a quick recovery.

I always head the old adage that the scope should cost as much as the rifle. That would be cost prohibitive...

I wonder if that is still valid with all the advancement we have had in glass quality and manufacture over the years....
I appreciate it. Having some vertebrae fused, so it will be interesting.

I am definitely going to put decent optics on it. Looking at Vortex, Leupold and Sig Sauer. I think these days, if you are spending in the $300-$400 range for optics for hunting, you are getting quality. Of course, you can get a lot in the $1000 and above range, but thinking that might be more for long range and competition shooting. I probably would not feel comfortable shooting past 400 yards.
Old March 30, 2021, 09:58 AM   #17
USAF Ret

Open to any thoughts on Optics.
Old March 30, 2021, 12:47 PM   #18
HiBC

On scopes: I'm the oddball. Few agree with me. Thats OK. For a hunting rifle (I live in Colorado. Deer,Elk,Antelope,ranges to 300 yds plus. )

For a hunting rifle,my favorite scope is a fixed power M-8 Leupold 6X x 42 MM

A close second is a 2.5 to 8X Leupold VX3 .

I'm not knocking variables. They are fine,

Within MY limitations, having the same window to look through,every time,is very useful as I use my Duplex to estimate range and hold with reasonable confidence in about three seconds,maybe 5 seconds. No exra hand motions fiddling. Its never set on the "wrong" power. If 6x isn;t enough,the range is too far. The 7mm exit pupil is all the light I can use.

For entertainment,I enjoy the long range precision technical stuff, but for myself,my 300+ yd techniques meet hunting needs.

My ideal "perfect hunting rifle " today, is a quality ligtweight,foam core composite stock,a barrel not over #3 contour, A commercial Mauser or M-70 receiver,30-06 or equivalent and the 6x by 42 mm Leupold. About 7 1/2 lbs scoped.

That would leave me with no excuses,ever.