The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 25, 2021, 07:36 PM   #51
DMK

Quote:
So, you don't skip background checks, there was already one run on you in the last 30 days.
That 30 days is not universally true. From the ATF link you provided (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Note: Notwithstanding the dates set forth below, permits qualify as alternatives to the background check requirements of the Brady law for no more than 5 years from the date of issuance. The permit must be valid under state law in order to qualify as a Brady alternative.
My state (NC) requires a Concealed Handgun Permit renewal every five years. At that time we sign paperwork giving authorization to run a background check and access mental health records.
Old March 26, 2021, 07:00 AM   #52
ghbucky

Quote:
So, you don't skip background checks, there was already one run on you in the last 30 days.
That 30 days is not universally true. From the ATF link you provided (emphasis mine):
You are correct. I fell into the 'that's how we do it, so it must be universal' gap. KY does run background checks on CCDW holders monthly, but we are apparently an exception, not a rule.
Old March 26, 2021, 07:21 AM   #53
2wheelwander

You'stacould walk out with a handgun in Indiana just by showing your CCW card, no check. That changed years ago. I've walked out with a handgun and the longest part of the deal was the time it took me to fill out the 4473.
Old March 27, 2021, 08:20 AM   #54
DMK

Quote:
You are correct. I fell into the 'that's how we do it, so it must be universal' gap. KY does run background checks on CCDW holders monthly, but we are apparently an exception, not a rule.
Yeah, unfortunately gun laws are a real patchwork, varying from state to state and even at the federal level.

On one hand I feel that's a good thing. One is free to leave a state that they feel is oppressive and move to another that more suits them. That is one reason I abhor federal regulation for all but the absolute most necessary things.

With federal regulation, we no longer have any avenue of escape and most other countries are worse off than we are regarding freedoms (plus moving to another country raises non-trivial citizenship and immigration issues)

But on the other hand folks get very confused with varying state laws and regulations and often feel the laws they are used to in their home state are universal in others. Out of state visitors are often shocked at open carry in my state for example. Vehicle laws are another good example of this. A lot of folks get tickets and fines when out of state for things that would be legal for them at home.

That said, I think the freedom of varying state laws is better. The alternative is almost always an adoption of the more strict laws universally.