The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 24, 2021, 10:25 AM   #26
4V50 Gary
Staff

Requires a mill cut into the side of the receiver. That can lead to the admission of more dust/dirt/mud. As a southpaw, I'd do it on the ejection port side. For a right hander, I think there are uppers that have that feature (and they may even have a cover).
Old March 26, 2021, 05:02 PM   #27
TRX

A couple of years I bought my first AR, a PSA kit. At the time they had side charging uppers for about the same price as the regular.

I really wish I had gone with the side charger now; I've barked my knuckles on the scope enough to hate that T-handle.

There are scopes with more eye relief that would reduce the problem, but I've already spent more on glass than I wanted. None it it would have been an issue with a side charger.
Old March 26, 2021, 08:27 PM   #28
Radny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX View Post
A couple of years I bought my first AR, a PSA kit. At the time they had side charging uppers for about the same price as the regular.

I really wish I had gone with the side charger now; I've barked my knuckles on the scope enough to hate that T-handle.

There are scopes with more eye relief that would reduce the problem, but I've already spent more on glass than I wanted. None it it would have been an issue with a side charger.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 27, 2021, 06:02 AM   #29
scoobysnacker

I just picked up a x39 upper from BCA, and the side-chargers were $5 less than the traditional rear chargers.
After a moment's consideration (hey, we don't get much more than a moment to consider things right now!), I stuck with the rear, simply to keep the takedown and cleaning routine identical.
Old March 27, 2021, 07:23 AM   #30
imashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX View Post

I have one AR with a conventional scope. It's mated to a cantilevered-mount to negate that problem.