The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2021, 12:30 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

There is no ammo shortage

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a popular shooting area east of Phoenix and north of U.S. 60. This is in a national forest and is not an organized area.

There were many people shooting all day in some areas. It sounded like a war. I'm sure some of these people are reloaders but not the half dozen people shooting handguns and 5.56 at one location. They left all their brass. I picked up around 300 9mm cases, a few 40s and some 45 ACP and a few 380s. I don't load 9mm but retrieved them anyway. I left the 5.56 military brass.

Unless they have a secret supplier of ammo or have a lifetime supply, they will be in for a big surprise.
Old January 15, 2021, 01:17 PM   #2
BJung

There are websites that you can trade brass.
Old January 15, 2021, 01:21 PM   #3
reddog81

People are still buying ammo like crazy. That's why it's all sold out...

Lots of shooters have multi-year supplies and can shoot like normal for quite a while.

I have taken both my sisters and their boyfriend and husband (all new gun owners and shooters) shooting numerous times in the last year and have supplied lots of ammo to them to get acquainted to their new guns.
Old January 15, 2021, 01:26 PM   #4
Nathan

Wasting it or even using it very carefully is not a sure sign of supply.
Old January 15, 2021, 01:50 PM   #5
hounddawg

plenty of loaded ammo on ammoseek in .223, 9mm, and .45 acp at least. 6.5 Creedmoor, 38 SP, 40 SW and 300 Blackout can be had also. For whatever reason 6.5 Grendel is the only one I searched for and came up blank

prices are probably double what they were 2 years ago but you can buy all the loaded stuff you can afford it seems
Old January 15, 2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

It is, indeed, a case of money talks.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 15, 2021, 02:53 PM   #7
higgite

Agreed, there is no ammo shortage. There is a sanely priced ammo shortage.
Old January 15, 2021, 03:11 PM   #8
Reloadron

With a few min online you can likely have all the ammunition you want. The only ammo shortage is a shortage of ammunition at reasonable prices. The same is pretty much true of most reloading components.

Ron
Old January 15, 2021, 07:16 PM   #9
Bucksnort1

I don't know what I will do with the 9mm. I am in good shape for the calibers I shoot. I load for all except 9mm.
Old January 15, 2021, 08:40 PM   #10
Average Joe

At my local gun shop there are pallet loads of 9mm ammo, but at $39.00 for a box of 50 shots, nobody is buying.
Old January 15, 2021, 09:01 PM   #11
USSR

Quote:
I don't know what I will do with the 9mm. I am in good shape for the calibers I shoot. I load for all except 9mm.
That's the problem with the 9mm. It was so darn cheap for so long, that it wasn't worth the time and effort to reload for it. Painful lesson.

Don
Old January 15, 2021, 09:16 PM   #12
Carmady

There seems to be a primer shortage.

I picked up 3 pounds of powder today. Didn't need it, but it was there, and I've learned that you can't get it when it isn't there.
Old January 15, 2021, 10:05 PM   #13
chris in va

Can’t find primers to save my life. Everything is going to making factory and military ammo.
Old January 15, 2021, 10:26 PM   #14
GP40X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
plenty of loaded ammo on ammoseek in .223, 9mm, and .45 acp at least. 6.5 Creedmoor, 38 SP, 40 SW and 300 Blackout can be had also. For whatever reason 6.5 Grendel is the only one I searched for and came up blank

prices are probably double what they were 2 years ago but you can buy all the loaded stuff you can afford it seems
Not at $7.50 a round for 38 SPL +P 130 gr. HST. They also want $4.00 a round for American Eagle 130 gr. FM & $5.00 a round ($250.00) for a 50 round box of Winchester White Box 38 +P 125 gr. JHP. These guys are nuts. I don't think so Tim...

Gun Show prices are better than this.
Old January 15, 2021, 10:40 PM   #15
GP40X

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
Can’t find primers to save my life. Everything is going to making factory and military ammo.
Same here. I am just praying I can find a brick or two of small pistol primers at the gun show tomorrow. I have plenty of bullets (1100 and more on the way), 400 brand new Hornady 38 SPL cases, and 2 pounds of powder and will be picking up more tomorrow. The only issue I have is only 600 primers (500 SPP & 100 SPPM). I am only loading for 38 SPL right now but may start on 9mm soon (I have around 1800 rounds of 9mm practice and carry ammo together).
Old January 15, 2021, 10:42 PM   #16
hounddawg

there are also five offerings there at $1.30 - $2.00 a round. I guess we better let the free market settle the prices out and not buy from the gougers. The alternative is to have the government tell people what the prices should be
Old January 15, 2021, 11:26 PM   #17
TXAZ

I have more ammo now than I’ve ever had, all purchased at “sane” prices, and a fair amount of that purchased over the last year, most for a new weapon purchased this summer.
Just keep your eyes open and stay away from ctd- like places.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 16, 2021, 08:56 AM   #18
kraigwy

Even people who have prepared for this drought can be stupid.

I was warned about these times when I first started shooting high power in the mid 70s, took the advise to heart, so I was prepared..................so I thought.

My wife decided we needed to be snow birds so we bought a summer home in Arkansas. I outfitted the place with a reloading set up cause i figured I'd want to shoot in Arkansas as well.

So after Wyoming hunting season I loaded up reloading supplies and headed south.

Forgot I got a 350 Legend that needed fed so I didnt bring ay SR primers. None to be found anywhere. Couldnt even trade other primers.

I had to make a round trip back to Wyoming, 1200 miles each way, just to dig into my stash for a brick of Small Rifle Primers.

Dumb, yeah maybe, but I can shoot my Legend.

Did I learn? Nope, Playing with my Legend I decided I needed an AR, so I ordered a Legend Upper..............you guessed it, made another round trip to pick up one of my Lowers too. Thought about buying a Lower in Arkansas only to find out lowers only are like pistols, you can only buy them (or recieve them ) in your home state.

Cant wait to find out what I forgot next.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 16, 2021, 09:29 AM   #19
JT-AR-MG42

On the plus side Kraigwy, look at the money you're gonna save on maps heading back home.
I do have to say it makes my forgetting ammo when going out to shoot pale in comparison though.

Thanks for the laugh!
JT
Old January 16, 2021, 09:34 AM   #20
hounddawg

Quote:
I do have to say it makes my forgetting ammo when going out to shoot pale in comparison though.
try showing up at a match 200 miles from home with the wrong ammo
Old January 16, 2021, 09:40 AM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
there are also five offerings there at $1.30 - $2.00 a round. I guess we better let the free market settle the prices out and not buy from the gougers. The alternative is to have the government tell people what the prices should be
What some of us have been saying all along; they aren't gougers, they're free market capitalists trying to make a profit while they can; Old Joe has promised to stop all internet sales of anything firearm related, so things will only get worse. At their prices, only those who truly need the ammo will buy it; the way it should be.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 17, 2021, 10:53 AM   #22
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksnort1 View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I went to a popular shooting area east of Phoenix and north of U.S. 60. This is in a national forest and is not an organized area.

There were many people shooting all day in some areas. It sounded like a war. I'm sure some of these people are reloaders but not the half dozen people shooting handguns and 5.56 at one location. They left all their brass. I picked up around 300 9mm cases, a few 40s and some 45 ACP and a few 380s. I don't load 9mm but retrieved them anyway. I left the 5.56 military brass.

Unless they have a secret supplier of ammo or have a lifetime supply, they will be in for a big surprise.
300 9mm cases divided by 6 people is one box apiece. Hardly burning up ammo, pretty much a normal outing. They may have been the type that get out twice a year so one box each isn’t much.
Old January 17, 2021, 06:42 PM   #23
ms6852

The shortage of ammo is due to the surge of new shooters buying new guns for the first time. According to local news there were more than 7 million background checks done for first time buyers in 2020. A lot of this was fueled by the "friendly protests/riots," and other reasons.

So when you have 7 million new shooters buying ammo whether it is 2 or 3 boxes and than the other old time shooters numbering more than 7 million that only buy when they go to the range the millions upon millions create a huge demand that the suppliers can not keep up with in manufacturing. Than you get all the other millions that are panic buying and hoarding the shortage is created.

Now you have old and new shooters not finding ammo so now there interest is trying to load their own and the components normally available for me as I have reloaded for decades are not available. Big domino affect. Might as well go buy some dominoes and play while this blows over.
Old January 18, 2021, 11:56 AM   #24
Carmady

"There seems to be a primer shortage.

I picked up 3 pounds of powder today. Didn't need it, but it was there, and I've learned that you can't get it when it isn't there."

Yes, I quoted myself as part of this follow up to a post made last Friday.

Primers: they had no primers, but I noticed that their price had risen from $3.69 (or $3.79) per 100 to $4.99. That's close to a one third increase.

Powder: Friday morning they had 13 one lb bottles of HP-38; all gone by closing on Saturday (maybe sooner).
Old January 18, 2021, 03:27 PM   #25
bfoosh006

Prices have certainly raised... especially online prices.

I suspect the newer shooters have little idea what is reasonable to pay.

And a bunch of them shop online.... for giggles... look at the price of 22LR online.

Check the low to high prices ( no one has to pay the asking prices, but it is still indicative of how out of whack some online ammo prices are.

For future context...

Aguila 1B222335 Standard High Velocity 22 Long Rifle (LR) 38 Grains HP 50 Box Case of 500 640420001036 (price reflects 5% bulk discount)... 19 cents per round... or $94.90 / 500rd brick ( Lowest price shown )

CCI Mini Mag .22LR 40 Grain VELOCITOR Copper Plated Hollow Point - 50 Round Packs ** IN STOCK NOW $1.60 / single rd.. or $80 / 50rds ( Highest price shown )

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

I wonder if they actually sell any of the expensive one....