The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2021, 01:19 AM   #1
Alan0354

Thinking about a Glock19

Hi
I have been out of the gun scene since early 90s, all my knowledge was from those days and is old. Glock was barely out when I stopped looking at guns. The only 9mm high capacity pistol I have is S&W 659, there shows how old are my stuffs.

I read a lot from before and watching youtube lately, Sounds like Glock is very durable that can last 10,000rounds. Also, from what I gathered, Glock is ultra reliable also. I just want to hear from people here their experience.

I did some gun smithing back in the days, I still have the Dramo and the abrasive rubber tips to polish the feed ramp and the chamber. Do I need to polish the Glock if I get one? also, the ejector, anything I should do to make it more reliable?

I will be loading hollow points, so it's critical for the gun to be reliable. Just want to hear more about the Glock.

Also, I am living in the People's republic of Kalifornia, the magazine is limited to 10 rounds. Is it easy to modify it back to regular capacity or do I have to buy from out of state?

Thanks
Old January 15, 2021, 02:50 AM   #2
74A95

Glocks are good pistols, but some folks think there are better alternatives in the plastic fantastic world.

Take a look at the S&W M&P pistols. They are more ergonomic (fit the hand better) and have some other advantages. The S&W can be had with or without a thumb safety. That's not an option with the Glock.

The Glock 19 equivalent would be the 4.0" M&P9 2.0 Compact. The S&Ws are equally as reliable as the Glocks. You should not need to polish the feed ramps on either of these guns. They both run reliably right out of the box.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-m20-compact

A good criteria for picking your next gun is to get your hands on them and see which feels the best to you.

BTW, I have both a G19 and a S&W M&P9 (several, in fact). I love the S&W. I don't like the Glock. But that's my personal preference.
Old January 15, 2021, 03:05 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Sounds like Glock is very durable that can last 10,000rounds.
It should last a lot more rounds than that. If I had a 19 that wore out after 10,000 rounds, I would contact Glock and expect them to make things right.
Quote:
Also, from what I gathered, Glock is ultra reliable also.
They generally work pretty well. Like any other manufacturer, they've had a few glitches, but I would expect good reliability with good ammo.
Quote:
I did some gun smithing back in the days, I still have the Dramo and the abrasive rubber tips to polish the feed ramp and the chamber. Do I need to polish the Glock if I get one? also, the ejector, anything I should do to make it more reliable?
No. There are lots of aftermarket parts available, but less for improving reliability than for trying to improve accuracy, change the trigger characteristics, or related to satisfying personal preferences, etc.

Hollow points should not be an issue.

Modifying 10 rounds magazines is probably a non-starter. They are specifically made so that modifying them is very difficult.

If you haven't been paying much attention to the firearm world since the early '90s, you owe it to yourself to look around at some of the other options out there. The variety of handguns available these days is really impressive.
Old January 15, 2021, 03:18 AM   #4
Sgt127

I carried a Wilson Master Grade 130 as a duty gun. We went to issue guns. A Glock 35. After 10 years, we retired rose and went to Glock 22’s. I have both of them.

The only Glock I have ever personally purchased is a Glock 19.

Glocks don’t fit my hand perfectly. They are not heirlooms. They are injection molded guns with no spirit or soul.

But, they work. Remarkably well. They don’t rust. They are reliable. Magazines are cheap. If your buddy is at the bottom of a mountain and he needs a gun, you can throw him a Glock 19 and, it will likely work when it clatters to a stop.

In the trunk of my car, there’s a bail out bag. The Glock 19 is in there.

I won’t carry one appendix. It is, in my opinion, a cocked and unlocked pistol that requires considerable care to operate safely.

But, for an out of the box “hand me a gun, I need to solve a problem right now” a Glock 19 would be high on my list.
Old January 15, 2021, 05:12 AM   #5
rodfac

Quote:
Sgt127: I won’t carry one appendix. It is, in my opinion, a cocked and unlocked pistol that requires considerable care to operate safely....But, for an out of the box “hand me a gun, I need to solve a problem right now” a Glock 19 would be high on my list.
Good advice here, but I'll add that I find (and you may not) that the Glock boxy grip does not fit my (your) hand well.

That said, I once took a 3-day defensive pistol class, fired over 600 rounds in 4 days with a brand new rented Glock without cleaning, or any add'l lubrication over the 4 days...without a single malfunction. I was amazed to say the least.

I won the "poker" hand duel (5 shots, on the mark, all touching at 7 yds for a 'royal flush', also shot "Distinguished" with that Glock, then won the class "Steel" championship with it...they do work well but I still don't like the "feel" of that blocky grip. The gun was a G19 3rd Gen, BTW. YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 15, 2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old January 15, 2021, 05:33 AM   #6
kymasabe

I like Glocks aftermarket support and their legendary reliability, but they don't point naturally for me and the grip doesn't thrill me. There are SO many options out there now. I own a S&W and really don't like their triggers, thinking my next gun is gonna be a CZ, or Springfield XD-M Elite.
Old January 15, 2021, 05:50 AM   #7
Alan0354

Yeh, I did read people don't like the angle of the grip of Glock.

I looked at S&W MP 2.0, My friend had two, he said the rail where the slide travel showed significant wear after 2000 to 3000 rounds. Not like Glock that last over 10,000 rounds.
Old January 15, 2021, 07:15 AM   #8
buddyd157

first, if i recall, if a person lives in a magazine restricted state, no company will ship higher capacity mags there.

i currently have a Glock 17, gen 4, and recently bought a Glock 21 gen 4.

yes, the ergonomics of the grip are a bit unusual compared to my CZ's, and Canik, and my 1911's, but the grip is still workable

i have a buddy, that has a recent purchase of the Glock 19, gen 3, and frankly, now the Glock gen 4, is in my future as well.

Glocks, "just work", seemingly, no matter what. they shoot all brands of ammo, i loaded them with...brass, aluminum, steel, FMJ, and lead.

my CZ's, are finicky eaters, and WILL NOT shoot, steel cased ammo....

Your mileage may vary, and remember that there will be Glock lovers and Glock haters.

i have no love affair with them, but they work.......and parts are easier to get, and they are like super simple to work on.
Old January 15, 2021, 08:33 AM   #9
tomrkba

First, a Glock 19 should last for an extremely high round count to the tune of hundreds of thousands of rounds. You may have some small parts breakage here and there, but it should run IF you stick to the maintenance schedule (see HendersonDefense’s posts). I know the models are different, but I want you to get a sense of what Glock can do and how Glock supports their products.

Chuck Taylor’s Glock 17 Gen 1 (abbreviated 17.1) got to at least 365,000 rounds with minor breakage. Unfortunately, Mr. Taylor passed away and the gun disappeared.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...-torture-test/

Todd Green tested a Glock 17.4 to failure and abused the gun badly.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4508

Here is a thread about rental guns on a high volume gun range run by user “HendersonDefense”. Look for yourself about what he says about Glocks in particular compared to other guns. Glock always fixes those guns.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns...160140/?page=1

If you want a retro Glock 17 reproduction, Glock released them recently. They are not perfect reproduction guns, but the lines look great. Personally, I have the 17.5. I think it is a better choice over the 17.4 due to the slide cracking issues mentioned by HendersonDefense.

If you can carry a 1911 Commander or Government, you can carry a 17! Carrying a 19 is easier. You may really like the finger grooves, in which case get a Gen 3 or Gen 4. The 19.5 dispenses with finger grooves and uses the very nice Gen 4 texture. It needs no trigger work from what I can tell and my 17.5 is the same.

There is an advantage to the Gen 3 Glock and that is the trigger can be made smoother than a Gen 4. I use a NY-1 trigger spring and a Ghost 3.5# connector. The result is a VERY smooth pull and a VERY positive reset. The weight increases to about 5.75-6.5# depending upon how I pull the trigger gauge. This same configuration is rougher in my Gen 4 Glocks.

Last edited by tomrkba; January 15, 2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old January 15, 2021, 08:40 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Hi
I have been out of the gun scene since early 90s, all my knowledge was from those days and is old. Glock was barely out when I stopped looking at guns. The only 9mm high capacity pistol I have is S&W 659, there shows how old are my stuffs.

I read a lot from before and watching youtube lately, Sounds like Glock is very durable that can last 10,000rounds. Also, from what I gathered, Glock is ultra reliable also. I just want to hear from people here their experience.

I will be loading hollow points, so it's critical for the gun to be reliable. Just want to hear more about the Glock.

Also, I am living in the People's republic of Kalifornia, the magazine is limited to 10 rounds. Is it easy to modify it back to regular capacity or do I have to buy from out of state?

Thanks
Glock's 10 round magazine is not going to be easy to modify. Basically blocked to a single stack configuration. You need new magazines, and to get them you need to not be in California. The legalities of that I'm not commenting on.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 15, 2021, 08:47 AM   #11
tomrkba

Oh, I just saw you are in California. Your easy choice is a Glock 19.3. You may be able to score a Glock 19.4 or 19.5 if you get very lucky as they cannot be legally sold to citizens as a direct import (whatevah...the point is some cop or person who has one has to sell one to a gun shop). Gen 3 Glocks are great (I have many) and are a solid choice.

It is a crime to modify a 10 round mag in California. It is also a crime to possess a standard capacity magazine except under certain circumstances. Please head over to Calguns forum and start reading. It should make you cry and want to move to Idaho.

Side note: There seems to be a shortage of 19’s in the state due to the current gun panic and they are going for ridiculous prices. Notmally, a used 19.3 should be priced around $400-450, while a new one should be around $499-550. Be aware of this.

Last edited by tomrkba; January 15, 2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old January 15, 2021, 08:49 AM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Here is a thread about rental guns on a high volume gun range run by user “HendersonDefense”. Look for yourself about what he says about Glocks in particular compared to other guns. Glock always fixes those guns.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns...160140/?page=1
Thank you for that link. I remember seeing that info, but could never find it again. Real stats! The sort of thing that never comes up in this sort of "X sux!/X rulez!" gunboard discussion.

(And, hey! Arfcom is back up?)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 15, 2021, 08:51 AM   #13
tomrkba

Yes, lee n field, it does appear they are back online. That is a great thread. You can probably write HendersonDefense and get the latest info.
Old January 15, 2021, 01:05 PM   #14
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Hi

Thanks
What is known as the Gen 2 Glock 19 (early 90's) was my favorite. And they are still in demand.
Then Glock went through a couple of generations of goofiness and finally came back to their senses with the Gen 5. My opinion of course.
I've never known of a reason to polish anything on a 9mm glock. You just shoot it. It takes a while for new shooters to learn to stroke the trigger and it is hard to get ammo nowadays. And I'm sure there are more pains because you live in that bottomless pit of happiness called "California".
Old January 15, 2021, 01:58 PM   #15
Nathan

Quote:
Yeh, I did read people don't like the angle of the grip of Glock.

I looked at S&W MP 2.0, My friend had two, he said the rail where the slide travel showed significant wear after 2000 to 3000 rounds. Not like Glock that last over 10,000 rounds.
Alan, sir, with all due respect, you are getting some bad information.

M&P, Glock, XD, FN, Quality 1911, should all run reliable for far longer than 10000 rounds....possibly without cleaning.

Glocks do have a good finish. It will show wear inside the slide and where the barrel drags in 1000 rounds or so. All of the other guns will show wear in key break in points within the first 1000 rounds.

Wear is the result of lack of precision between parts that need to “fit” together. Everything from piston rings to barrels will wear to mature the fit between two parts until enough surface area is fitted together to support the force applied.

The other key component of wear is accuracy degradation. When a gun is new, it is as tight as it will be. After break in and shooter acclimation, the gun will produce its best accuracy. Record this. Record it every 1000 round’s for 100000 rounds and your data should show so me increase in group size. When you decide i5 is bad, take it to a gunsmith to have a barrel fitted and other parts checked for wear.

Parts breakage is probably the key issue. None of the brands shown above have part breakage issues. Frankly, this has mostly been documented as cheaper manufacturing methods like MIM or casting applied to older designs. A properly built Dan Wesson, Wilson or Baer 1911 will not have these issues.

Preventative Maintenance...this is where Glocks shine or I fail to see. They run for a long time usually without breakage, so there is not civilian PM schedule. This is distressing. I’ll bet PD/.MIL folks have a PM schedule from Glock for parts like their MIM extractor, Springfield fo it’s roll pin and 1911’s for their springs. 1911’s do need spring maintenance every few 1000 rounds. I check mine every time I clean. When springs feel weak, replace them. I wish I had a spring check tool of some sort. Basically a compression tool with force gauge.

Frankly, I know of no quality made repeating handgun that shouldn’t run 10000 rounds with some PM. Revolvers should have timing checked every few 1000 rounds.

As a side note, you may have been sold some other marketing. Glock uses the USA. That is the Universal Safe Action that is safer than other guns due to its lack of active safety mechanisms. It relies on 2-3 passive safeties that release when the trigger is pulled. This trigger pull can be your finger on the trigger addressing a proper target or a drawstring on your jacket pulling the trigger as you reholster into your appendix holster. The Glock does not care. It will safely fire in both cases.

Some guns have manual safeties, redundant safeties or double digit trigger pulls to provide an active safety. I know mine do at least.
Old January 15, 2021, 02:25 PM   #16
Alan0354

Thanks for all the info.

My question is during the 80s and early 90s, every semi-auto pistol I bought including Gold Cup, S&W659, Walther PPKS and Berrettas I bought had feeding and/or ejecting issues. I had to work on every single one. I had to polish the chambers and feedramp to fix the feeding problem and work on the extractor to fix the ejection problem. Now, every one of them except the Gold Cup can go through hundreds of rounds without a single failure even with hollow points. The Gold Cup still won't feed the Blazzer hollow point reliably( the bullet mouth looks like an ashtray). To me one failure out of 100 is considered really bad.

Have the machining of guns improve that much that you don't need to do this anymore?

Last edited by Alan0354; January 15, 2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old January 15, 2021, 02:37 PM   #17
smee78

I am a fan of the Glock 19 and own two of them. My first and favorite is an old gen 2 I bought used. I have put many thousands of rounds through it over the years without any real problems. I do suggest changing the connector to a 3.5lb, it makes the trigger feel smoother and for me, makes me more accurate. Of the Glocks I own (8) I have never needed any repair or polishing to work. They are boringly reliable and that's a problem I like to have with my guns.
Old January 15, 2021, 03:05 PM   #18
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Have the machining of guns improve that much that you don't need to do this anymore?
In a word, yes.

I have owned 6 different Glocks through the years. None of them have failed to feed or eject provided the shooter had a proper grip on the gun.
Old January 15, 2021, 03:06 PM   #19
TailGator

I have never had any feed or ejection problems with pistols from Beretta, Sig, or my one Glock, a 26, bought over the last 25 years or so. Don't buy one planning to polish it - it probably won't need it.
Old January 15, 2021, 03:27 PM   #20
Ricklin

Oops

My G 19 Gen 3 always works, Loads of dryfire has made the trigger just great as Glock triggers go.
The only malfunction I have had is a round I made W/O powder.

That one took a trip back to my bench to get the bullet out of the bore.

The G19 is rather "thick" for appendix carry. Hard to beat tho, with one in the pipe and a +1 mag baseplate it's compact firepower.

I won't part with the Glock. my EDC is now an LCP. I live a low risk lifestyle.
Old January 15, 2021, 04:18 PM   #21
Sgt127

Yes. Times have changed. Drastically. In the good old days, you bought a brand new Colt 1911 and immediately sent it to your favorite gunsmith so he could turn your Colt “kit” into a reliable, functioning firearm.

The current crop of top tier autos are about as reliable as a machine can be made. As long as you use factory ammo and, generally, leave it alone.

The more improvements and upgrades you do, generally, the less reliable it will become.

Inventors used to design guns and Machinists used to make guns. Now, engineers design them and CNC machines make them to tolerances previously unheard of for mass produced items.
Old January 15, 2021, 04:30 PM   #22
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt127 View Post
Yes. Times have changed. Drastically. In the good old days, you bought a brand new Colt 1911 and immediately sent it to your favorite gunsmith so he could turn your Colt “kit” into a reliable, functioning firearm.

The current crop of top tier autos are about as reliable as a machine can be made. As long as you use factory ammo and, generally, leave it alone.

The more improvements and upgrades you do, generally, the less reliable it will become.

Inventors used to design guns and Machinists used to make guns. Now, engineers design them and CNC machines make them to tolerances previously unheard of for mass produced items.
Yes, that's the answer I am looking for. In my days, I could see machine tool marks on the parts, The Gold Cup was particularly disappointing, the slide was not even tight, I had to squeeze the slide and use lapping compound to work to have a tight fit to the frame. I had to change the link to remove the creep on the barrel. Reshaped the ejector and polish the ejector port to make the bullet eject out far away.

One thing though, I watched a lot of video in shooting, ALL the guns when ejecting the shell, seems like they don't jump very far, like the shell hit the ejector port and you can see the shell spinning and tumbling when coming out and only pop out like 1ft away. When I polished the ejection port of the Gold Cup and the Walter PPKS, the shell pop very far to the side( over 3ft), no tumbling, this means the shell clear the ejector port WITHOUT hitting anything. That was through careful shaping the ejector and polish the ejector port.

Of cause, the ejection port in the old guns are much smaller compare to the new ones. But the fact the shells are all tumbling and not travel far means it still hit something on the way out and that increase the chance of stovepipe.
Old January 15, 2021, 04:43 PM   #23
Sgt127

Don’t over think it. Just get a Glock 19 and shoot it until your hands tired. My guess is it will run flawlessly. And, you will run out of money to buy ammo before the gun quits working.

And, if it does, Glock will likely fix it. For free.

And, mind you, this is coming from a guy who is not really a Glock Fanboy. But, credit where credit is due.
Old January 15, 2021, 10:31 PM   #24
Shadow9mm

in my personal opinion, glocks are durable, reliable, and accurate and have fed everything I have put in them, factory hollow points, to hand loads.

With that said the ergonimics and looks leave something to be desired. They are an excellent tool

There are lots of good options, it really comes down to personal preference and you needs. I highly recommend you go to a range and rent one, and a few similar ones to test shoot before you buy one. make sure its what you want and are happy with it.
Old January 15, 2021, 11:53 PM   #25
tomrkba

Alan,

Manufacturing has moved forward. Things have much improved. Buy a gun from the major brands and you shouldn’t have trouble. If you do, then most are good about fixing their guns. SIG has been great to me, as has S&W and Glock.

The PPKS is known for failures, as was the Colt. My experience with Colt has been great, versus terrible experiences with Kimber and a continuing disaster with Springfield. Even two of three Dan Wessons have been trouble. My HK has been good. I hear great things about commercial Berettas; my friends have enjoyed theirs and the guns’ performance good. Buy, shoot and carry your Glock 19.3 with confidence.