The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 30, 2020, 05:46 PM   #26
Reloadron

The rifle in the foreground is mine.

I got my first in 1966 and had my mom buy it for me since I was 16. Mom used her store discount and as I recall I paid $100 for the rifle and repaid my parents $25 a month for 4 months. I sold it while in the service and later replaced it. That little carbine was my go to rifle when hunting West Virginia with a good friend who lived there. It was an ideal little rifle for the West Virginia terrain we hunted and took plenty of whitetail. My best results always came with 240 grain JHP loads. While I haven't hunted in years it is just one of those rifles I am fond of. Heck, when I check out the wife or kids can figure out what to do with it.

The bi-pods are just props. Years ago we used them at gun shows. Think I bought a box of them for a buck a pop. Anyway, nothing to actually do with the guns.

Ron
Old December 30, 2020, 06:15 PM   #27
dahermit

As I remember the early .44 Ruger Carbines had a cast aluminum, Black painted butt plate whereas at some point in their .44 Carbine production they switched to a Black plastic one.
Old December 31, 2020, 11:43 AM   #28
4V50 Gary
Staff

Never wanted one but now acknowledge that they are very useful. I live in the woods now and they'd be handy against beer/cat. My go to is the 45-70.
Old December 31, 2020, 12:39 PM   #29
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
Never wanted one but now acknowledge that they are very useful. I live in the woods now and they'd be handy against beer/cat. My go to is the 45-70.
You have me wanting a picture of a beercat now.
Old January 9, 2021, 05:32 PM   #30
Ignition Override

Extremely cool gun.
Old January 14, 2021, 01:33 PM   #31
bamaranger

beercat rifles

The later model Ruger .44 carbine, the Deerfield 99/44, with its 1-20" twist rate, carbine length barrel for added velocity, and the heavy (265-300) grain bullets available today, (perhaps even a modest diet of hard cast heavies) would be a heck of a penetrator and serious beer/cat medicine.
Old January 15, 2021, 09:00 PM   #32
Tad_T

I have a 99/44.

It is a heck of a good little rifle.

I keep it at my elk camp/cabin in eastern Idaho. It’s what I always take in on my second pack out load in case a grizzly bear decides that my elk/mule deer is now his elk/mule deer. I load it with Hunting Shack Munitions Bear Loads.

It’s probably a good beer rifle, too.