The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 22, 2020, 06:10 AM   #26
hooligan1

Well I have a job for some copper remover:
1. Eliminator
2. Gunslick foaming bore cleaner
3. KG12
None of these have done the job so far, so I ordered the CU+2 copper remover from Bore-Tech, we will see.
Rifle is a 1903a3, barrel is nice with very strong rifling,.
Haven't tried JB's bore paste but I have some.
Old January 2, 2021, 08:05 AM   #27
hooligan1

Cu+2 works!
Better than anything else I've tried.
Old January 3, 2021, 12:10 PM   #28
recoil junky

I use Wipeout foaming bore cleaner and it can be left in over night or more without harm to the bore. A certain 22-250 came to my house for load development and it was in sad shape but we soon had it right with a couple applications of Wipeout and NO BRUSHING. Patches came out the purtiest blue until the copper was all gone. The same can be done with the Wipeout liquid on a plastic brush.

Hoppes #9 is saved for "after shave".

RJ
Old January 3, 2021, 12:51 PM   #29
ThomasT

For copper I have always used Barne's CR-10 and had good results. But you only leave it in the bore for a short time and for sure not over night.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...nt-2oz/p/p2705

I guess if it were bad enough you could use the old Army trick of straight ammonia in the bore. But do it at your own risk.

And you you are sold on Hoppe's then find some of the Hoppe's Benchrest bore cleaner. Its made for removing copper fouling. I have a big bottle of it and it works. But not as fast as CR-10.
Old January 3, 2021, 02:31 PM   #30
jwamplerusa

I received a Teslong borescope for Christmas. I spent 2 plus days after Christmas cleaning copper out of bores "I thought" were clean.

Boretech Eliminator did the trick. Just follow the instructions, and repeat until patches no longer come out blue. Good stuff!
Old January 3, 2021, 03:50 PM   #31
Sanch

I have used just about every brand of copper solvent known to shooters. I began with Sweets 7.62 and have some Montana Copper remaining. In complete honesty, I cannot tell difference in copper dissolving among the various brands I've used. The caveat is I've never used generic/of brand copper solvent.

If Hoppes #9 dissolves copper, it must have a secretive way of doing it because it's never worked for me.

My guess is a 2 dollar, 64 oz bottle of ammonia would dissolve copper just as thoroughly as a twelve dollar name brand copper solvent.
Old January 12, 2021, 01:45 AM   #32
DaleA

FYI Midway currently has a sale going on and Bore Tech Cu+2 is going for $12.74 for a four ounce bottle.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093127727?pid=372509