The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2020, 06:46 PM   #1
Metal god

Easing into shotgun reloading

Be gentle , although I've reloaded a lot of standard cartridges I've never even read anything about shotgun reloading . Well I've glanced at some stuff but don't even have a manual for it . Was looking at the Lyman 4th edition I think it was . any thoughts on that ?? anything better and more comprehensive ??

When I've glanced at some stuff It always quickly overwhelmed my brain . It does not seem even remotely like loading let say 9mm . Other then everything confusing me , types of hulls and wads top the list then comes primers and why is it so specific . Regular cartridges say use this type of prime but we can use others we just start low and work back up but with shotgun it seems it's this type and only this type , is that right . ??

I ask because I bought what I could so I have military 2-3/4" 00 buck hulls and standard W209 primers . Can I load anything with that combo and what type of wads do I need with that combo . My plan is to load 00 to #4 shot in these rounds .

Thanks in advance but again I get lots real quick in this so go slow . I was talking to the guy at the reloading store and he lost me so fast it wasn't even funny . It was like asking a computer expert to explain how to use word and after they said click here I was lost because they had already clicked 5 other things before I grasped what the first click was for . Same difference He started talking and before I could take in the first thing he said he was finishing with "and that's all there is to it .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 17, 2020, 06:49 PM   #2
nhyrum

With shotshell, you load what the book says, period. No changing primers, no changing hulls or wads(unless there the generic form of another wad, like clay busters.) It's weird to do, but you load what the book says, and that's the end of it. Interior hull shapes are different, so they require different shaped wads(some are a tapered interior, vs relatively straight) wads cushion different and hold different amounts of shot, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old September 17, 2020, 07:04 PM   #3
SHR970

Quote:
With shotshell, you load what the book says, period.
Funny thing is there are some many different books.

So the question is 'WHAT do you want to load?'
Old September 17, 2020, 07:25 PM   #4
Metal god

I want to load ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
So the question is 'WHAT do you want to load?'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me in OP
I ask because I bought what I could so I have military 2-3/4" 00 buck hulls and standard W209 primers . Can I load anything with that combo and what type of wads do I need with that combo . My plan is to load 00 to #4 shot in these rounds .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 17, 2020, 07:55 PM   #5
nhyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
I want to load ....
You'll just have to look in load data sources for a load containing the components you want. Shotshells run at way lower pressure. 3 1/2 is like 12k, while 2 3/4 is usually 7-8k max.

That's from memory, so I could be off

Old September 17, 2020, 07:58 PM   #6
totaldla

Quote:
Be gentle , although I've reloaded a lot of standard cartridges I've never even read anything about shotgun reloading . Well I've glanced at some stuff but don't even have a manual for it . Was looking at the Lyman 4th edition I think it was . any thoughts on that ?? anything better and more comprehensive ??

When I've glanced at some stuff It always quickly overwhelmed my brain . It does not seem even remotely like loading let say 9mm . Other then everything confusing me , types of hulls and wads top the list then comes primers and why is it so specific . Regular cartridges say use this type of prime but we can use others we just start low and work back up but with shotgun it seems it's this type and only this type , is that right . ??

Thanks in advance but again I get lots real quick in this so go slow . I was talking to the guy at the reloading store and he lost me so fast it wasn't even funny . It was like asking a computer expert to explain how to use word and after they said click here I was lost because they had already clicked 5 other things before I grasped what the first click was for . Same difference He started talking and before I could take in the first thing he said he was finishing with "and that's all there is to it .

Start with the following and then head to the blog mentioned. I want you to get some modern information before you get bogged down too much.
https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyh...odern-20-gauge
Old September 17, 2020, 08:19 PM   #7
SHR970

Metal God you missed the question. What do YOU want to load? If you want copy cat loads there is book data. If you want to load towards flight control there is data. If you want to load off normal loads there is data*.

* Published 20 Ga. load of 12 0Buck @ 1275 fps. by Hercules Powder.

In 12 Ga. they have plenty of "data". Same goes for BPI and their generic data.

What do you want to do?
Old September 17, 2020, 08:24 PM   #8
nhyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR970 View Post
Metal God you missed the question. What do YOU want to load? If you want copy cat loads there is book data. If you want to load towards flight control there is data. If you want to load off normal loads there is data*.

* Published 20 Ga. load of 12 0Buck @ 1275 fps. by Hercules Powder.

In 12 Ga. they have plenty of "data". Same goes for BPI and their generic data.

What do you want to do?
He says what he wants to do, it's just buried a little. He wants to lost 00 and #4 using the Winchester 209's he has

Old September 17, 2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Metal god

Oh yeah rookie mistake, 12ga lol

Old September 17, 2020, 09:14 PM   #10
Grant 14

Metal God, I am in almost the same situation as you. I loaded lots of shotgun shells A HALF CENTURY AGO and what is on the market today is a bit overwhelming. Lymans #5 reloading manual was recommended to me and I bought it. Very good book but most of the components listed to use are out of stock. Trying to locate some combination of components that is all available is tough. Richard Lees book "Modern Reloading" seems to make shotshell reloading not as exact as the Lyman book. I bought the Lee Loadall press since it was a very reasonable price and is simple (I think) to use. The MEC press is almost 4 times the price and even MEC recommends having spare parts on hand. I went thru the Lyman book last night and there are 28 different powders listed for 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge. The majority of them seem to be out of stock at Midway and Ballistic Products. I just asked some questions on the McCraken section of our forum and hope to learn more. It is an interesting learning curve. Grant.
Old September 17, 2020, 09:35 PM   #11
big al hunter

Ok, taking it slow.....

You can load any size of lead shot in the shells you have.

The size of shot doesn't matter. It is the weight of the shot charge that matters. Lucky for us, the same weight of shot fits in a particular wad-shell-powder combo regardless of shot size.... mostly.

Match the shot cup to the shot weight. Look for data that matches your weight of shot, she'll type and powder. There are many combinations in the Lyman manual. And several on Hodgdon load data website. Shot cups can be made by the original manufacturer of a copy of the same. The manufacturer website or label on the container will say which was it is a direct replacement for.

After a while you will notice that some powder-shell-wad combos are the same for a couple of primers, but not universally.

You need to find out who made the shot shells you have. Look up the head stamp. Or post a pic.

Decide how heavy of a load you want first.

Take a breather and come back for more later.
Old September 17, 2020, 10:04 PM   #12
Metal god

These are what I have and likely have access to as many Winchester hulls I want at $10 per 100. I have 300 of the Winchester right now and about 60 or so of the red ones . Before starting this thread I planed to practice with the red ones then load the Winchester with final product but they may not be compatible component wise . For right now and the foreseeable future I'll really need to be able to load Win case using the Win primers . I can go get more primers and shells if need be tomorrow to stock up if there are loads for them .

I use and have on hand several pistol powders like Titegroup , W231 , WSF , HS-6 , CFE-pistol and was hoping one of those is going to work ????

Old September 17, 2020, 10:16 PM   #13
Grant 14

I just read the link that Totaldia had at the bottom of his page. It is almost an hours worth of reading with lots of information. It was mostly about 3 inch 20 gauge and hot steel loads, but is a good read. I have several old 20 gauges, and wont use steel shot or 3 inch shells, but still learned a lot. There is so much more to learn! Grant.
Old September 17, 2020, 10:28 PM   #14
nhyrum

It's likely none of those powders will work. Hodgdon clays was what I used, but I was loading 1oz #7. I had to get a totally new set of powders for when I started loading just 12 guage. But I was wanting to load for trap and 3 1/2

Old September 17, 2020, 11:40 PM   #15
big al hunter

WSF is a great powder for 12 ga. Hodgdon has load data for Winchester shells and WSF. Hit the website and select a gauge, shell, shot type, and powder. It spits out multiple loads for WSF in 1 1/8 is lead shot. And most of the loads include win primers. I haven't looked up other load weights lately, but that would be the data for a 9 pellet 00 buck load, IIRC. Here's a shortcut to the website.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun
Old September 18, 2020, 12:52 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Consider this,

Compared to metallic cartridges and their guns, shotguns are extremely low pressure and have "paper thin" barrels, including the chambers.

Shotguns operate at black powder pressures and velocities. Some modern buckshot and slug loadings up this a bit.

Since the shotgun barrel is thin, and the actions are not made for high pressures, there is a much smaller range of pressure excursion before you are outside the safety margin.

Change a component in reloading a pistol or rifle round and you may change the pressure a couple thousand psi, or more. Something a 30,000 psi cartridge gun won't even notice could be a dangerous change in a shotgun.

That's why you only load EXACTLY what is in the data. The only component you can change without risk is the shot SIZE.

Not the weight, just the size of the pellets. Change anything else, hull, wad, powder, primer, and you are risking things.

If you cant get the exact components listed, look for data with the components you can get. Don't swap anything but shot size. Ever.
Old September 18, 2020, 06:27 AM   #17
reynolds357

Quote:

My only 2 pieces of advice are:
1. Dont in any way deviate from the published data. Shotgun is very unforgiving.
2. I quit because I can buy shells so cheap.
Old September 18, 2020, 07:16 AM   #18
big al hunter

I did some searching. Looks like the Aguila hulls might be made by Cheddite.... maybe. But I can't confirm this. If they are, there is a possibility that the primers you have don't fit. I would get more of the Winchester hulls. It isn't worth the risk if you don't know for sure. If you absolutely need to use the Aguila hulls you can contact Aguila directly and ask where they get their hulls.

Last edited by big al hunter; September 18, 2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old September 18, 2020, 07:37 AM   #19
RaySendero

Quote:
reynolds357 wrote:

2. I quit because I can buy shells so cheap.

MG, That's what I was thinking, too!

I reload for 12 and 28 gauge. But have had all the equipment and supplies.

I like your goal to start. But think you should slow down
and just buy a case of 00 buck.

This way you can take your time finding equipment,
Reading up on the loads you eventually want to load and
Picking up supplies.
Old September 18, 2020, 07:45 AM   #20
big al hunter

Quote:
and just buy a case of 00 buck
I used to think that way too. This year, I am glad I already have components. Earlier this summer I couldn't find any buckshot shells at the local stores. So I loaded my own. Same goes for metallic cartridges.
Old September 18, 2020, 08:37 AM   #21
Marco Califo

Other thoughts (or tonight's top ten]:
1. Toss your hulls and buy once fired WWAA. They are plentiful and standard.
2. Claybusters makes cheaper wads to replace pricier brand names using same data.
3. MEC loaders (= presses) work great and can be found used cheaply.
4. Loaders use charge "bars" with bushings for shot and powder volumes. I eventually bought an adjustable charge bar to dial in.
5. For what purpose? If hunting ANYTHING in California, you cannot use Lead shot or 00. Possession of any Lead ammo while outdoors is a F&W crime. You can shoot Lead on firing ranges only. 00 gets old after 5 rounds. #8 shot at 5 feet will blow a hole through a cinder block (aim for the hollow).
6. MEC makes a progressive loader but you wont need that kind of volume unless you get involved in trap, skeet, or sporting clay's.
7. Buy your 00 already loaded.
8. Waterfowl? Buy loaded ammo. Cannot be Lead. I loaded steel shot too. 3 1/2" hold more of the lighter pellets.
9. WSF works great. I have also used the "Dots": Red, Green, Blue. Unique seems to work in everything.
10. There is no "any hull" data. However, you will notice that X amount of powder Y will be published and work in similar hulls.

Last edited by Marco Califo; September 18, 2020 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Powders
Old September 18, 2020, 08:45 AM   #22
peterg7

Easing into shotgun reloading

It all starts with hulls, I prefer once fired STS but have a fair supply of old AA also.

Don’t know what you goals are but I switched to 12 gauge in 99 for SHTF Y2K.

I reload bird and buckshot for survival situation so I want commonality, one powder(HS6) one type hull and two different primers and two wads gives me 1-1/4oz hunting load, 00,#4 buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by peterg7; September 18, 2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old September 18, 2020, 10:49 AM   #23
Metal god

Quote:
and just buy a case of 00 buck.
Two problems with that 1) I live in CA and I can't order online and have delivered to my house . 2) Not sure if you've heard but there's been a run on ammo lately that is not likely to be remedied any time soon . There is virtually no ammo on the shelves here . Thank god I reload and stocked up , I have no issues with the current state of factory ammo as far as regular cartridges . However after doing an inventory of shotgun ammo on hand I find my stock lacking and is why I decided to go this route .

I bought the cheap Lee shotgun loader a few years ago knowing at some point I'd reload shot shell . It appears I picked the best time to start lol

Quote:
Don’t know what you goals are but I switched to 12 gauge in 99 for SHTF Y2K.
That's my reason in a nut shell , I've recently been making sure if I have a firearm I also have plenty to feed it . No need having really cool paperweights .

Quote:
I reload bird and buckshot for survival situation so I want commonality, one powder(HS6) one type hull and two different primers and two wads gives me 1-1/4oz hunting load, 00,#4 buck.
I only have about 1/2lb of WSF left and like it so have no issues buying as much as needed . I also have several pounds of HS-6 on hand that I've yet to find anything I really like it for , well I have a 357mag load that works pretty well but that's it . If I could find a good shotgun load using HS-6 that would be great .

Quote:
1. Toss your hulls and buy once fired WWAA. They are plentiful and standard.
Do you have a link , my quick search seems to come up with a lot of out of stock options .

I also wanted to ask about the brass section of the hulls . Is it true the longer the brass area the better and can be reloaded more times ? Also why are the metal sections of my hulls black ? I scraped at them and they don't appear to be brass or steal almost look like copper maybe ???

Old September 18, 2020, 11:27 AM   #24
DaleA

Probably go back and read Marco Califo post #21 again.

My father at middle age took up trap shooting and reloading and let's say he "respected a deal" rather than he was cheap. He got *lots* of hulls from the trap club and realized he had *lots* of different hulls and then hunted around and found deals on *lots* of different wads that fit (or nearly fit) all the different hulls he had collected. And then one day he simply had enough of the madness (his store room looked like the warehouse for a small gun shop) and flat out decried that there would be one hull (Winchester AA) and one wad and a MEC 650 to marry them up.

Being a trap shooter though, I suspect his volume would be many times greater than what you will reload but that MEC 650 was a sweet machine.

I was reloading .45 ACP and my Dad, after seeing how much powder I would use said he spilled more in one reloading session (he didn't really) than I would use in a month so I got free powder (Red Dot and 700x) and in return I would run the 650 on occasion and load him up a case of his favorite trap loads. As one of the members here is found of saying, "life was good".
Old September 18, 2020, 11:34 AM   #25
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant 14 View Post
I just read the link that Totaldia had at the bottom of his page. It is almost an hours worth of reading with lots of information. It was mostly about 3 inch 20 gauge and hot steel loads, but is a good read. I have several old 20 gauges, and wont use steel shot or 3 inch shells, but still learned a lot. There is so much more to learn! Grant.
Make sure you read this fellow's blog https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/