The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2021, 08:08 AM   #1
meathead

A5 Feed Problem

2nd shell
I have a Murka built A5 Old style 12ga 3"magnum. I've had it 15 years. I was using Remington 3" 1&3/8 oz of #2's @ 1550 during duck season. I switched to Browning BB'S 1&1/4 0Z 1550 for goose season. I went down in the mud and muck with it after shell switch over. Took it home for a deep cleaning. Stock off, springs out leaf and coil. Barrel removed, frictionwashers removed, cleaned, both metal and brass. Cleaned all, places needing lubricant recieved synthetic light oil. All parts functioned well, and smooth. I've said all of that, to ask my question. First time out after above the second shell would not load. Shell lock was not in use! I can hand eject the second shell, third shell will load and fire. Anyone have any advice on what I should address next I would appreciate your thoughts! The only thing I have found is that the plug was sliding up into the forearm spring. I rectified this as well as cleaned the tube and spring. One thing I forgot to mention. After initial first shot, I have pulled trigger and have had a cocked position since I hear the firing pin working.
Old January 17, 2021, 10:58 AM   #2
Kapusta

Been a while since I've worked on an A5, but I do remember that it makes a difference on which way the friction ring is installed. Could it be on backwards? Then again, the direction it's installed could be an adjustment between light and heavy loads - just not sure. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Old January 17, 2021, 04:59 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Not an expert on the A5 but I do recall that the friction rings need to be differently oriented for different level loads or the gun will not cycle properly.

Do you have a book or manual for your gun, showing you the correct positions and orientation of the rings for light and heavy loads? If not, getting one would be a good idea.

Wish I could help more, sorry.

Moving to shotgun forum where hopefully you will get a better answer.
Old January 18, 2021, 05:44 AM   #4
stuckinthe60s

do you mean, hand load the second shot?

.........."I can hand eject the second shell, third shell will load and fire. "
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner