The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 14, 2021, 11:42 PM   #51
GP40X

I recently picked up a 605 stainless 2" snubbie. Waiting on a Veridian Laser Grip from Taurus to show up (my revolver has a 30 dollar off coupon in the box). Also waiting on lighter hammer and trigger return springs to install after I get a few hundred rounds through the gun. The real issue is finding affordable ammunition. I have 500 Hornady 125 gr XTP bullets, 100 Hornady FP/XTP bullets 500 X-Treme 125 gr plated flat point bullets, a pound of HP-38, a pound of Unique, and 400 brand new 38 Special cartridge cases. But I only have 500 primers. Even found a new 38 Special Lee Loader in stock at a local gun shop so IO will be doing kitchen table reloading with a brass mallet. Will let you know how the spring job goes and if it affects reliability after I get the gun broken in.
Old January 15, 2021, 11:01 AM   #52
defjon

I haven't owned the 605, but the largest local gun store owner can carry anything he likes and chooses that exact model. A good endorsement. I can chime in on some that approximate the model of your question.

Model 85 blue 2004 purchase : bought used, excellent model. No issues. Possibly most accurate snub I've owned out of many. Very rich, nice blue that I don't believe they do anymore. Wish I had it back!

Model 85 stainless ultra lite : great, no issues, light enough for pocket carry. Wish I had it back (notice a trend?)

Taurus judge : loved it until the cylinder fell off. 7 dollars got it running again. The all steel cylinder was too heavy for the yoke spring according to gun Smith.

All told, I think I may have ended up having more issues with Smith revolvers. The revolver check out from Mr March will help you avoid 99% of the issues.

If a few hundred between Smith or Taurus. I would still probably go with Smith. I think overall quality /small parts/ springs etc may be better.

It sounds much harder to "horse trade " and try a bunch if guns there, so I would save up bigger money and try to go with the generally community approved standards of "quality ", with Taurus being accepted as a budget minded brand. Is it due to Brazilian labor or cost cutting methods in parts, construction or Q and A? I'm not sure.

Rule of thumb, Smith is top with production revolvers with a long history of police and military use. Ruger is next with a reputation for strength and durability. Taurus comes in third as the up and comer with models that seem to knock on the door in quite a few categories as several reviews here show.

In your shoes, perhaps the model 60! What's a few hundred if you keep it for life and pass it along (if that is possible).
Old January 15, 2021, 01:16 PM   #53
Warhammer

The two biggest factors in making a small and powerful revolver useful, and even enjoyable, to shoot are the grip and the sights.

Grip:
Grips are always a compromise between comfort and concealability. As I said before, the third time was the charm for me. The original rubber grip was comfortable, but too large for concealment and the rubber tended to grip cover clothing too much.

The Alamont wood grips were smaller, hence easier to conceal. Also, the smooth wood didn't grab my clothing. But they felt awful to shoot, especially with .357mag loads.

The G10 grips are bigger and fill the hand, but still smaller than the original grips. They are slick enough to not grab clothes, but stick to the hand very well. They fit my hand very well and are much more comfortable to shoot plus give better control for quicker follow-up shots. Bonus: they allow speed loaders to work, which was not true of the frist two grips.

Sights:
Most small revolvers have vestigial sights. The rear is normally just a notch cut into the frame. The front is typically a ramp that is the same color as the frame. Sometimes, you get a dot front sight with a flat face, but then you have a sight that can snag more easily when you draw from concealment. I bought a Birchwood Casey sight pen set and colored my front sight neon orange. Now my eyes can pick up the front sight much quicker and distinguish the front blade from the rear notch more easily.

Of course, a nice smooth trigger is always good, too. Just about any trigger can be improved with a little polishing.