The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 5, 2021, 10:23 PM   #1
tangolima

Where are our old friends?

Guffey, Slamfire, and the others. Haven't heard from them on this forum for a while. Without them it have been nice and quiet, but it has grown boring. I thought they were done with posting on gun fora. In a way I miss them.

Well, I just found them on the other forum. Still going at each other, and the others of course, exactly the same way they did over here. I am going there.

So long.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 5, 2021, 10:24 PM   #2
jimbob86

The other forum?
Old January 6, 2021, 03:01 AM   #3
Metal god

I’m on 4 different forums Guffey is/was on and I’ve not seen him post in many months on any of them . I don’t miss him but glad he’s alive and kicking .

I’ve seen slamfire around and do miss him here . I remember Bart B leaving here for what seemed like over a year and I now see he’s back . I guess guys come and go , this forum is by far the one I post most on . The mods here weed out a lot of guys unwilling to comply with the forum rules which can be quite strict. I have several marks on my record here and even was suspended here for a week and yet I’ve never been contacted by mods for any reason on any other forum . They run a tight ship here and some prefer a little more flexibility.

It’s only a matter of time that I’ll be banned from this sight and I’ll be gone too , hey hey stop all the cheering and wishful thinking .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 6, 2021, 09:50 AM   #4
GeauxTide

I've always been a proponent of smart and never a proponent of smart ass. I join these things because I don't know everything. I don't have thin skin because of my experience going to a rich kids school in the 60s. Unlike most men, I know I'm full of crap and I don't take myself seriously. Some remind me of guys I used to work with in the IT world - outstanding technicians, but horrible with people. They never understood why the customers always asked for me when I knew much less than they did. A lot of them are last word freaks. You could put a loaded revolver in their mouth and they're still going to have the last word.
Old January 6, 2021, 01:34 PM   #5
tangolima

There is a null over there.

Mods here run a tight ship in their own ways. How long had Guffey been "operating" here? Pretty long. He was let alone saying what he said. The other folks got slapped down for murmuring anything close to "not nice". I myself got warning for "bickering". No complains. It is their place, and I'm still here.

Guffey can come across annoying if you are new here. It soon turned into pure entertainment for me. A few times, he was actually nice and helpful. He is experienced and smart. It is just...

I should stop, and go back there to enjoy the battle.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 6, 2021, 06:00 PM   #6
cdoc42

In my "old codger" view, this place is an escape from the plethora of advisatory links one can find on the internet that either fail to answer your question or try to make a jerk out of you because you don't know what they really don't know.

Save yourself the frustration of searching for a valuable reloading (or gun information) resource and limit your pursuit to The Firing Line. (Note: I don't work here).
Old January 7, 2021, 05:26 PM   #7
Bart B.

I was banned from a forum for 6 months after challenging a moderator claiming piezoelectric strain gauges measuring pressure don't work below 40,000 psi. I used SAAMI's data around 20,000 psi for 22 rimfire and centerfire handgun 38 special, around 10,000 psi for shotgun.
Old January 7, 2021, 09:32 PM   #8
Irish Lad

F.Guffey had some good info on Wilson case gauges. After reading some of his posts I got one for every caliber I load.
Old January 7, 2021, 10:57 PM   #9
Metal god

Even A blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 9, 2021, 11:41 AM   #10
jetinteriorguy

I think if Mr. Guffey could just state the solutions to problems people were having, instead of making everything sound like some great cosmic riddle with the solution hidden in a word maze designed to make your brain explode, his contributions to this forum could have been tremendous. But some truly smart people just seem to lack the smarts to know how to communicate with us mere mortals thus making all their knowledge pretty much useless and lost in the ozone.
Old January 9, 2021, 02:09 PM   #11
Reloadron

My cartridges don't have headspace and I store my datums in a jar.

Bart B.
Quote:
I was banned from a forum for 6 months after challenging a moderator claiming piezoelectric strain gauges measuring pressure don't work below 40,000 psi. I used SAAMI's data around 20,000 psi for 22 rimfire and centerfire handgun 38 special, around 10,000 psi for shotgun.
A pizo element is one type sensot and a strain gauge is another type sensor I never heard of a piezoelectric strain gauge? "SAAMI pressure testing protocol uses a conformal Piezoelectric Quartz Transducer for pressure testing of centerfire pistol and revolver, centerfire rifle, and rimfire cartridges. The primary source of the conformal transducers is the US company PCB Piezotronics". SAAMI does not use a strain gauge method. The commonly available Pressure Trace System uses a strain gauge.

Both methods will go well below 40,000 PSI so no clue how anyone could believe different.

Besides those mentioned I wonder where jeephammer went too?

Ron
Old January 9, 2021, 06:11 PM   #12
Metal god

Quote:
I wonder where jeephammer went too?
He got suspended or if I recall UN put him on a time out . Which is pretty hard to do , UN is by far the most reasonable mod on the forum I've worked with . I was part of the thread that happened in and Jeep was not only 100% wrong . He kept going on rants of how every one else in the world basically was following the dogma of the old timers and only he knew the truth . If it weren't so sad of how wrong he was and how he would not let it go , It would have been quite funny IMO . FWIW the question was can primers back out and be left sticking out ( not slush ) after firing . He thought it impossible and I'm one of thousands that it has happened to . I even gave he the specific data in which my primers backed out and he just could not wrap his head around the idea .

I've seen a guy on other forums that has a similar writing style that might be him but not using the Jeephammer screen name . I've noticed guys often use different screen names on different forums . I'm always Metal God . I'm Metal God everywhere if my real name is not used . If you see Metal God It's likely me even in online gaming .

Old January 9, 2021, 08:17 PM   #13
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Guffey, Slamfire, and the others. Haven't heard from them on this forum for a while.
fguffey was active on jouster2.com last month. I think he’s taking time off to write his thesis on “head spacing”.
Old January 10, 2021, 08:55 AM   #14
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
Bart B.

A pizo element is one type sensot and a strain gauge is another type sensor I never heard of a piezoelectric strain gauge? "
Ron
I know the difference. Forgot to put the word "and" between them. Piezoelectric gets compressed, the strain is stretched to change their electric resistance to current in ohms.

Thanks for pointing out an old man's communication shortcomings.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 10, 2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old January 10, 2021, 10:10 AM   #15
Reloadron

Quote:
fguffey was active on jouster2.com last month. I think he’s taking time off to write his thesis on “head spacing”.
OMG, that was seriously funny.

Ron
Old January 10, 2021, 10:14 AM   #16
Reloadron

Metal-god thanks for the update. Yes, he had a few strange ideas. I use the same name in any forums I am in. I also agree it's real hard to upset Uncle Nick. Not impossible but difficult.

Ron
Old January 10, 2021, 02:15 PM   #17
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll Otto lll View Post
LOL, love it. I’d love to see the illustrations he would use to show something doesn’t exist.
Old January 10, 2021, 07:18 PM   #18
Reloadron

Quote:
LOL, love it. I’d love to see the illustrations he would use to show something doesn’t exist.
Now that you mention it I never saw him post a single image. He was sort of funny in how he would bait people. The common when someone mentioned cartridge headspace would be a reply "my cartridges don't have headspace". While he had a valid point he did a lousy job explaining things. The other classic was when someone mentioned bumping a shoulder back. Again he had a point but he went against many of the commonly used terms many have come to accept. He would have a point but seemed to have problems expressing himself. He annoyed me but knew his stuff. I liked him to a point.

Ron
Old January 10, 2021, 08:14 PM   #19
jetinteriorguy

I think meeting Mr. Guffey in person would be a treat. It would have to prove very interesting for sure.
Old January 10, 2021, 10:09 PM   #20
Colorado Redneck

Usually Guffey never got very testy. But he was resilient. After a while it occurred to me that he is just a hard headed old coot, and ignored him.
Old January 10, 2021, 10:50 PM   #21
rc

Sometimes people get tired of a forum or moderators drive people away.
Old January 11, 2021, 07:25 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

Off-topic for Handloading.

Accordingly, closed.