The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 17, 2015, 02:20 AM   #1
DirtyHarold

Weapon Shield: holy smokes this stuff actually works!

I would just like to share my personal experience with Weapon Shield CLP, this wont be a post saying how much better this is than another lube etc.

I came across one of the YouTube videos on this stuff in a playlist I was watching while cleaning my guns, about how [according to the tests being performed] this lube is far superior than just anything else as far as WEAR protection (a claim made by them not me, but it seems like a legitimate test...judge for yourself).

Anyway I thought I would give it a try.

First thing I did, I completely disassembled my still very new Ruger SP101--which if you own one of these you will know that the DA trigger pull is well, fair at best--and gave every surface, especially moving parts a little bit of WS and put her back together and worked the action a bit.

I kid you not I bet it dropped 1-1.5 lbs off the trigger pull and made the action so much smoother than before. To get a sense of how much better it is, before I couldnt dry fire it in DA without the front sight bobbing all over unless I put a death grip on it. Now I can rapidly DA dry fire it and hold it relatively steady on target. I have done the same lube process with several different oils and until now I didnt even know just an oil could make this kind of difference.

It was so incredible in fact I did the same treatment to my GP100 Match Champion, however it didnt really have the same effect as it did for the other gun. However I believe this to be because the MC already has an action job from the factory so its probably already as nice as its going to get without getting into springs.

Again, I am simply sharing my experience with this product, I'm not a salesman or anything. But this is a video I found after the fact showing the same thing. You can do your own research though and be your own judge, personally I sided with the makers and came to the conclusion that WS is by far superior to all other gun lubes out there in terms of wear protection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTMoz34q4cI
Old September 17, 2015, 06:22 AM   #2
amd6547

I used Breakfree or Remoil for years as my CLP.
Then, when WeaponShield came out, they were giving away free samples, so I tried it.
As soon as I tried it, it was obviously superior. Sliding surfaces moved much smoother.
Over time, what has really stood out is how durable it is. WeaponShield stays where you put it, even after long storage. I've taken a pistol out that was cleaned and lubed, then put away for a year, to the range, shot 100rds through it, and when I stripped it, the WeaponShield was right where I applied it.
Same with rifles. It doesn't evaporate or leach away.
Now, I also use Balistol for some applications, due to its usefulness cleaning corrosive ammo, and it is very good stuff. But, WeaponShield is the best for moving parts.
I no longer believe the old saw about grease. Even in the cam hump of my M1 carbine, WeaponShield stays put and lubes the cam slot perfectly.
Old September 18, 2015, 10:45 AM   #3
DirtyHarold

Yes amd!!

I feel like this stuff is way too under known which is why I'm trying to spread the word about it. I feel like if people would actually see the difference it makes and just give it a shot they would use it and nothing else.

Heres for all you die hard Frog Lubers and BreakFreers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQLAE3MtTOI - WS performing 6X better than Frog Lube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXD34ToxHtg - WS performing 2.5X better than BF
Old September 18, 2015, 10:46 AM   #4
DirtyHarold

^^^ there are also several other videos of the same test with several other lubes vs Weapon Shield
Old September 18, 2015, 12:43 PM   #5
9x18_Walther

George C. Fennell, the guy behind Steelshield/Weaponshield and the original FP-10 is an actual lubrication engineer and his company makes a variety of lubrication products for other industries besides firearms.

My rule of thumb is to use a product made by a company that either is:

A large established figure in the gun community (e.g. Hoppes, Remington, Safariland/Breakfree CLP, and Tetra).

or

A product from a company that also covers provides lubrication for other industries (e.g. aerospace and manufacturing), examples would be for instance, Mil-Comm and Steelshield/Weaponshield.

No offense against companies that sell just gun oil, but you have to start stretching the truth a little bit when it's your only product and you want to make a buck.

Trust me, it's marketing 101 and while all companies do it (Weaponshield and Hoppes included) some companies need to push harder than others to even have a chance to to be competitive.