The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 2, 2014, 11:43 PM   #1
semi_problomatic

Build or buy glock?

Would you suggest getting a G17 and just dropping in a trigger kit, sights and beavertail or is the G34 worth it? I've been searching online for in state sellers and what I've found is:

(New) G17L (believe gen 3, but says limited production for 2014; with two mags) $600.
(New) G17 gen 4. - $500 (whatever came in box, 3 mags)
(New) G34 gen 4 FDE- $650 (3 mags, 2 different back straps)
(Used) S&W M&P9 pro $650 (comes with 5 mags and bladetech holster, doesn't look like it was used much)

Haven't seen any glocks used or with enough of a price difference to make it worth getting over new.

Which way would/did you go?

And the back story:

So I shot a match Saturday, kinda an informal 3-gun for a fund raiser. There were no power-factors, no limit on rounds.... Really no rules or divisions at all. Hit all the targets and run for time. I had a lot of fun, but got hosed on the pistol. I ran with a 4 man team (actually kinda funny, 3 guys from a chemical plant vs a bunch of sheriff depts, some swat cats, etc). But they we all running hi-cap full sized 9mm and I was running a glock 30. (.45 acp sub compact). Having to reload twice to their once, recoil, my terrible shooting... Killed me.

Now I'm looking for a 9mm. Can practice more with cheaper ammo, etc. I was really intrested in a cz-75 sp-01, but just can't find any around here. I'm looking for something I can use for all match types. I just don't want to get a glock 17L and end up not being able to shoot it in a future match depending on what rules they go by.

Thanks in advance. Hope its not to jumbled to understand.

Last edited by semi_problomatic; November 3, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old November 3, 2014, 12:53 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

If you can buy what you want off the shelf, that's almost always a better option than trying to put something together on your own.

UNLESS, putting something together on your own is the main point of the exercise. I can understand that--I do enjoy tinkering.
Old November 3, 2014, 01:47 AM   #3
semi_problomatic

I know I'd want sights and triggers for both, a beavertail piece, probably an over-sized mag release and slide release. The G34 comes with the last three. I'm pretty comfortable tearing guns down and putting them together, just mostly trying to figure out the better hammer for this nail. Wish I could try them all, but they're spread out over the state and no place local has them. Be a lot of gas and traveling.
Old November 18, 2014, 01:47 AM   #4
Hunter0924

I started shooting the Infidel Gunfighter League a few months ago and it is a lot of fun. Kind of like IDPA with shoot houses and night shoots.
Except, no restrictions on the firearm. As long as you legally own it and it is safe you can use it.
Most use AR-15 pistols with a Sig Brace but I elected to go with my bone stock Gen 4 Glock 17.
With the 31 round magazine I did not have to reload as much but she was lacking. I slowly made the changes I wanted, and most were the ones you mentioned. Extended magazine release, extended slide stop, and a new Streamlight to start off with. I added a Ghost 3.5 pound connector and a reduced power firing pin spring which got the trigger down to just under 4 pounds and helped a bit with the pretravel.
I have more modifications planned, so kind of what I am getting at is I enjoyed making the changes a bit at a time to what suited my shooting style.
Old November 18, 2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The 17L would not enter regulation IDPA or USPSA Production. I would not get it unless I planned to shoot only outlaw matches.

G34 is the leader in plastic guns. There are a few popular improvements like fibre optic sight and a little action work.

I know a few people who shoot a G17 and say the shorter gun is quicker to the target. I don't buy that myself, but then I usually shoot a 1911.

I have a Plastic M&P bought and tuned before the Pro came out. I prefer it because its grip angle is closer to Colt's. I would want to test fire a used gun, he might be selling his problems. There are reports of PM&Ps with inferior accuracy although mine is ok.
Old November 18, 2014, 02:49 PM   #6
g.willikers

If you put in the time and effort to practice enough to get good with the pistol, it won't really matter which one you choose.
Sooner or later, it will be like you were born with it.
So think less about the gun and more about the shooting.
Get ready, here it comes again.....
"The gun is the least of it."