The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 25, 2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Shoebox

Service Rifles: Allowable mods?

What, types of mods can you make to an AR and stay legal for Service Rifle competition. Obviously stuff like free floaters and heavy barrels, but I am curious about things like aftermarket grips like Hogues or Ergos.

The logical thing would be for me to read the rules, but I can't seem to easily find NRA/CMP match rules on line. Can someone point me in the right direction?

As always, thanks.

Steve
Old October 27, 2005, 04:08 PM   #2
Tim R

The rifle has to look like and be the same size as a service rifle. It also can't have any funny add on sights like a cross hair for a front sight. If you make changes out side of the rules for a service rifle, it can still be fired in a match as a match rifle. It's hard to find the rules on line as they want you to buy the book.
Old October 28, 2005, 08:24 AM   #3
deadin

3.1.2 Service Rifle – U.S. Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm M16 series as issued by the U.S.Armed Forces, or the same type and caliber of commercially procured rifle, without bipod or grenade launcher, having not less than a 4 ½ pound trigger pull, with a standard-type stock, pistol grip, hanguard, and leather or web sling. The rifle must be so modified as to be incapable of automatic fire without removing, replacing, or altering parts. In all courses of fire and in all positions the standard 20-round or 30-round box magazine or a reduced capacity magazine of the same external dimensions will be attached. The gas system must be fully operational. External alterations to the barrel, upper and lower receivers, stock, handguard, or pistol grip will not be allowed, except that a device may be attached to prevent selector lever movement to the auto position. The front and rear sights must be the standard design. The rear sight aperture and front sight width may vary in dimensions to suit the shooter. The rear sight aperture may be hooded. Versions or adaptations of the M16 type rifle consisting of external modifications or alterations, will be shot as an NRA Match Rifle, except as allowed in Rule 3.1.3. The trigger weight of these versions of adaptations will not be less than 4 1/2 pounds, except as noted in Rule 3.3.1. A case deflector (DVC-T-30 or commercial equivalent) is allowed.
Old October 28, 2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Shoebox

Good stuff guys, thanks. I need to buy the book sooner than later.

I did not realize I could use the 30 round mag at all. I was under the impression that it was not allowed as it may be an "advantage" in the prone positions as a rest. My minimal mag collection at this time is one 10 rnd, a 20rnd and the 30 rnd., but I borrowed a spare 10 at the only two matches I have done becuase I thought I could not use the 30, only the 10 and the 20 since they were the same external size. (recognizing that the 20 still had to be downloaded to eight when required)

Where can I get the rulebook(s)

Thanks

Steve
Old October 28, 2005, 11:04 PM   #5
deadin

Unfortunately no part of the rifle may contact the ground or any portion of the clothing as to create an artificial rest. There goes the 30 round rest
Old November 3, 2005, 12:20 PM   #6
30Cal

The CMP rulebook is available online in .pdf at their website, www.odcmp.com under the "Competition" tab. Unfortunately, you may only shoot under their rules 2-3 times a year at best. The NRA rulebook pretty much mirrors what the CMP rules say though.

You'll need to order the NRA rulebook from the NRA. Dig around on their website--I'm pretty sure they have details on how to get your hands on it.

Ty
Old November 3, 2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Ken O

Here are the NRA rules:Click here