The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 15, 2015, 11:15 AM   #1
BumbleBug

Vortex Scope on sale @ Midway: Opinions?

Got this flyer from Midway & this looks like a heck of a deal:

I've never had a Vortex scope but they seem to be popular on this forum. It appears from their website that "Viper" is their 2nd tier product below the top. Has anyone tried one of these models & reticules? Any opinions?

I have a couple of Leupold 6.5x20's & I'm wondering if Vortex optics can even compare. As for intended use, probably just for load testing & 200yd & under target shooting.

TIA...

...bug

Last edited by BumbleBug; July 15, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old July 15, 2015, 01:11 PM   #2
CowTowner

I actually own this model. It's mounted on my 35 Whelen. Very clear glass and the warranty can't be beat. I could not be happier with the scope.
You should know, the 44mm models are end of life. Vortex now lists them as "Limited Availability" on their site.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...eticle/reticle
I was told there would be no more made when I was looking for mine.
That said, if it fails for some reason, they will fix it or offer you a similar model with a different Objective size.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 15, 2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Banger357

I have had many Vortex optics, especially their rifle scopes. I love them- the glass is superb. I have traded out my Leupold and several Nikons for Vortex and they're all I've purchased for several years- and all I plan on purchasing unless a need for a scope in specs they don't make comes up.

I have two Vipers (both lower magnification and smaller tube than the one you are looking at), a Viper HS, and a Razor HD as well as some binos and a reflex sight. The adjustments on all of the scopes, including the less expensive Vipers, are very tactile and tracking is consistent. From the perspective of someone who has sold a ton of optics of brands from Tasco and bsa through Leica and Zeiss, I can say the Vortex warranty is amazing. They really do stand behind their scopes and I've seen the "no fault" part in action and was incredibly impressed. I've seen other "lifetime warranties" that are a joke as the company will find a way to blame the customer for any issues.

In my personal opinion, a Vortex scope is always a fantastic choice and all of the models I have personal experience with far exceed their price point in terms of quality. I prefer Vortex to Leupold very strongly- comparing models within the same price point from the bottom to the top of each line, I have been really impressed with the clarity of the Vortex as well as the user-friendliness.

I personally like the reticle, as I have a strong preference for simple, easy to read reticles with duplex style wires... I typically gravitate towards mil-dots and the like. That said, most of my shooting is hunting inside of 300 yards and I rarely do any kind of stationary target shooting and after my seasonly sight-in I pretty much rely on kentucky windage to make my shots, which may not be what you're looking for.

I'd say try to get your hands on a similar scope in a local shop and see what you think! Everyone's eyes perceive clarity differently and everyone has preferences in terms of adjustments and reticles, but based on all of my experiences the quality of the optics and the customer care of Vortex is totally fabulous.
Old July 15, 2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Jay24bal

I have 3 of the Viper 6.5-20X50 scopes (the one on sale at Midway is a 44mm objective), and I love all three. For any gun that will not be shot in competition where I want uncapped turrets, I will keep buying this scope.

The glass is clear, it holds zero, and most importantly for me, the clicks are dead-on accurate and 100% repeatable. If you need a scope, I would not hesitate to pick it up (or 3).

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 15, 2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Sharkbite

Get it...

I use a bunch of Vortex products, including this exact scope. Currently it sits on my Mossburg MVP LC and im loving it.
Old July 15, 2015, 03:45 PM   #6
mxsailor803

I've got Vortex and Leupold. Both of them are very good scopes. I did have to use a warranty repair for a Crossfire 1 I had a few years ago. Rifle got dropped and damaged the scope. Called Vortex and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label. About 3 weeks later, I got a brand new Crossfire 2 in the mail since they discontinued the 1 series. No questions at all on what happened, rings, caliber, rifle manufacture, etc. They stand by there warranty.
Old July 15, 2015, 05:39 PM   #7
BumbleBug

Thanks for all the input. You guys convinced me & I now have one on the way!