The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 27, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
ZVP

.36 Caliber

This just might be the best caliber for all around shooting! It shoots at near 1000 fps giving good clothing penetration, god trajectory and devistqatingly explosive plinking drama! It loads for just pennies of BP or Substitutes and consistancy is very good.
The revolvers that shoot it are proven to be less finicky than .31's and the revolvers don't seem to need the major modifications to the capping groove that 31's do. You just load powder. wad and bullet/Ball, cap and shoot.
Very much as trouble-free as the big .44's are. Maybe this was one reason for the popularity of the Navies?
Ball and powder loads are fairly inexpensive with the .36 and should you use fillerAS [I] DO (TO SEAT THE [B]ALL FWD) Cost for such a miniscule amount pf COW is cheep! Wad costs are the same for all calibers.
WHat recoil?
Heck a .36 recoils less than a .22 rimfire!
JMHO
ZVP

Please forgive errors I am trying to master an "I Pad",OK?
Old December 28, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

ZVP + 1

I guess I like all three calibers.

.44 is just a more emotional experience.
Old December 28, 2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
Heck a .36 recoils less than a .22 rimfire!
You ain't using enough powder.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Strafer Gott

I think they recoil much like a .380, but in a much heavier pistol. They had a good reputation as a mankiller. This is why I think the .380 probably deserves more respect than it receives.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:06 AM   #5
bedbugbilly

That's why I love my Navies . . .

I also hae a .36 H & A underhammer rifle that is a hoot to shoot and maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I'd rather shoot that than my rifled muskets or Fusil de Chase.

I will admit though, that I now own two .44s - '58 NMA in stainless and a .44 Rogers & Spencer . . . . I don't really know WHY I traveled to the "dark side" in the 44s . . . . probably the influence of reading Doc Hoy's posts???
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 31, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
brazosdave

I really like my .36 Griswold, and it is the gun I usually shoot now, but my .44 1860 is always reliable, accurate, and a heck of a lotta fun to shoot!