The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 18, 2018, 05:04 PM   #1
ConRich

Load data for TC Hawken Rifle ?

Back in the early 70s we gave my father a 45 cal. TC Hawken for Christmas, well I have it now and would like to enjoy shooting it, but have no load data.

I have loaded and shot this rifle in the past, but that was years ago, and Dad's load data notes are not great.

I have been shooting BP cap & ball revolver for a few years so I have a basic knowledge of BP, just need some load data using both REAL BP, and substitutes.

TIA, Rich
Old February 18, 2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Pahoo

You are going to have to Google it and, Range-time.

Quote:
Back in the early 70s we gave my father a 45 cal. TC Hawken
.440 PRB; 110-grns. of FFG Is max. I think you can still go into TC Website and find the manual that came with your rifle. ....

Quote:
Well, the manual is there but it sure falls short of what it use to be and certainly not a copy of your original. Sorry ....
https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/...ken_Manual.pdf
Your optimum target load, will be somewhere in the 60-grn range. This is quoting out of the TC manual and there are other sources on load data. By experience I would start out with 60-grns of FFFG. and work up 5-grns at a time. You really need to put in some range time and keep your data. ..

Also google it as there is plenty of load data and another source, is the Lyman M?L manual by Sam Fadala.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 18, 2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 09:59 PM   #3
Wyosmith

Most of the old 70s guns were very accurate with a .445" ball and a .012" patch, with 55-60 grains of 3
That's where I'd start if I owned the rifle.
You may find you need do nothing more.

Let us know.
Old February 19, 2018, 09:55 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd go as low as 40 grains 3F for target shooting.
Old February 19, 2018, 10:11 AM   #5
ConRich

Thank you

Thanks to all for your help. I did find a manual on the TC web site, but it had no information on load data. The data that you have provided will get me started safely.

Thanks again,
Rich
Old February 19, 2018, 11:14 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

With a patched round ball I always used 90g of FF in my .45 cal Hawken. If you go too low they can start shooting worse sometimes. If you want to load it down some, try 75g. It really doesn't have much recoil even at 90g.
Old February 19, 2018, 11:53 AM   #7
Pahoo

You do have options to work on

Quote:
I'd go as low as 40 grains 3F for target shooting
This is the load we use at our M/L station during our hunter Ed classes and it works fine, for all age groups, male and female. When we introduce the class to the students, we state that we are not here to hurt or play games with them and they have nothing to fear. ....

Quote:
Most of the old 70s guns were very accurate with a .445" ball and a .012" patch, with 55-60 grains
No problem with that but .445, is harder to find and more expensive and the .012 patch as well. Will add that this was partially my shot-string when I shot competition, in the old days. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 19, 2018, 03:36 PM   #8
kraigwy

I just started playing with non-inline Muzzle Loaders. I dont have a 45 Hawkins but do have the 50 Cal Hawkins.

I also have very little knowledge so I found Lyman's "BLACK POWDR HANDBOOK & RELOADING MANUAL" which has helped me a good deal.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 19, 2018, 03:42 PM   #9
cptjack

I have a 50 cal Lyman and data says 90 grs by volume ,but 70 is scary accurate
Old February 19, 2018, 04:34 PM   #10
ThomasT

I would suggest you pick up a copy of the Lyman Black Powder manual and load data. It will give you all the information you need. My 45 caliber Investarms/Cabelas Hawken is my favorite to shoot. I built it from a kit many years ago. The kit price was $129 plus shipping.

Here are links to the manual from Lyman. I have the older version. Didn't know a new one was out.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...loading-manual

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powde...UAAOSw43haSh21
Old February 20, 2018, 07:25 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I shoot a 45 TC. _ .445 ball w/.010 Ox-Yoke patch. Smeared with Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube. Charging of _82 grains by volume measuer'r works for me.

2-FFG Gorex Black {is} the powder used here when I'm seriously out and about and on the scout to get a deer.

Otherwise for fun & giggles I do make my own Black Powder also and use it strictly for target shooting only. Home made powder requires a bit more powder (1/3 to 1/2 more additional powder measured by volume than the Gorex charging. (above)
That additional amount of powder guarantee's I'll see near the same accuracy of Gorex without having too re-adjust my rifles rear sight.

Gorex recipe (above) Rich is quite accurate and has enough Ball energy out 100 yards to drop those North of the Mason Dixion Line bigger in stature white tails I encounter this far North. (60 mile South of the American /Canadian border.)

FYI: I tried experimenting with 3-FFG Gorex but never witnessed the consistent shot after shot accuracy I get with 2-FFG use.
Anywho.
Once you get your dad's T/C sighted in. I know you'll enjoy the sport of Black Powder shooting.
Old February 20, 2018, 01:59 PM   #12
reinert

An old rule of thumb: Half the round ball's weight is generally a good and accurate powder charge weight in a muzzle loader.

Your .45 cal rb should weigh near (+-) 120 grains, making that 60grn. powder charge already mentioned a good one, at least to start at. Either 2 or 3fg will work just fine. Good ol' standard GOEX is still the standard for bp (IMO). All things considered, still reasonably priced, too (again, IMO).

o
Old February 20, 2018, 02:15 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

Absolutely, Lyman's "Black Powder Handbook and Reloading Guide.". Still trying to get my head around loading by volume and not mass like smokeless. The Lyman book is a pretty good read too.
However, it's about the calibre, ball/bullet weight and rifling twist. Not the specific rifle.
Old February 20, 2018, 03:02 PM   #14
ThomasT

I didn't know that Lyman had a new version out of the load manual. And it is wrutten by Sam Fadala. That guy is great. I almost gave up on BP shooting till I found his black powder handook. I learned what I was doing wrong. I was using too thin of a patch and they were burning up and blowing out. learned to read the patch and after 75grs I use a firewall patch. That protects the ball patch so well it could almost be reused.

This is the book that taught me about BP shooting. The Lyman book will give you load data.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Complet...gAAOSwp7FabMlr
Old February 21, 2018, 07:51 PM   #15
ConRich

Thanks again

I really appreciate all the advice, I have most of the required components and load data to take her to the range,....(when the snow melts). In the meantime, I have ordered the book that was recommended by ratshooter, thank you.

Rich
Old February 21, 2018, 09:30 PM   #16
B.L.E.

In my .45 TC Hawkin, I had excellent results using a empty .30-30 case for a powder measure with both Pyrodex P and Goex FFFg when shooting a .445 patched round ball.

Now that rifle has a custom Green Mountain .36 caliber barrel and now I use a .223 case for a powder measure shooting a .350 patched round ball, I'll up it to using .22-250 case for a powder measure when shooting a 100 yard match, for better wind bucking. A .36 needs all the help it can get in the wind.
Old February 22, 2018, 12:51 AM   #17
Scorch

I used to shoot a TC .45 with patched rb and 60 gr of ffg. It was consistently accurate.
Old February 22, 2018, 01:11 AM   #18
deserted

I've had a .50 T/C Hawken since 1972. Used balls cast from the mold included with the gun, patched with the curtain material from my best friend's new camper. (We told his wife her new bloodhound puppies had eaten them. That was THE best patch material for that rifle). Used sixty grains of a brown powder I bought from this old boy down the road. Coarse grained and soft, he said it was cured with horse urine, and that he had salvaged it from surplus U.S. 45-70 Gov rounds. The most accurate powder I ever used in that gun, doing well in rendezvous matches with it, and killed my first deer with it, 100gr and two patched balls. Easy to clean, too. Now I'm using some 525gr Buffalo Bore elongated balls, Wonder Wads, 90gr FFg, and a 20" Green Mountain barrel. Simply flattens elk.