The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
kgpcr

Help with engraving needed

This summer i am taking my son to Alaska with me. I plan on buying him a Glock 20. I would love to have it engraved with the following.

ALASKA 2010
FROM DAD.

do any of you know where i could get it done? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Smith M&P 40
Old January 28, 2010, 12:58 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

You should understand that the engraving will likely compromise the corrosion resistant surface treatment.

Most any place that does laser engraving should be able to do the work.

If you want hand-engraving that's a bit different--I would think that the surface hardening would make hand-engraving difficult.
Old January 28, 2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

It will require a very powerful laser to engrave the slide.
A local trophy shop can possibly diamond drag engrave it. I do this type of work, but I have never attempted to cut through the nitriding on the slide.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
guncrank

It could be engraved with a high speed engraver. The tennier is a metal treatment and will be compromised at the engraved area.
Any trophy shop should be able to engrave and any engraver and/or gun smith that has a high speed tool should to able to do that,as well by hammer and chisel.

CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old January 28, 2010, 09:23 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Try looking up "engraving" in the Yellow Pages. Talk to the people first, tell them what you want, and make sure they won't panic at the sight of a pistol slide.

Jim
Old January 29, 2010, 12:36 PM   #6
LongRifles, Inc.

Do it all the time. . .

I think we talked already on the other forum but just in case.

www.longriflesinc.com
Old January 29, 2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Joat

Try these guys: Ident Marking Services

joat
Old January 29, 2010, 08:25 PM   #8
George R

Engraving Slide

Email Brian Powley: [email protected] He's done a lot of work for me and I think he is one of the best. Not outrageously priced and quality work. Some his fancier work is featured in the 2010 Gun Digest page 47. And, he's a nice guy.
Old January 30, 2010, 05:29 AM   #9
impalacustom

Long Rifles, I am curious, does Clay Smith frown on using the Mr. Horsepower? I have tried to get a few things engraved with registered logo's and I haven't found a company that will do it with out me paying for the trademark.
Old January 30, 2010, 06:27 PM   #10
LongRifles, Inc.

I don't know to be honest. I did this particular job on a personal rifle that won't ever be sold. My understanding is what I do with someone else's logo on things that'll retail is subject to lawyers, courts, and all the nasties that go with it.

What I put on my own stuff is my business as long as I don't try peddling it or coining it as my own chit.

Really no different than if I put a sticker on the side of the stock that said the same thing. If I started making the stickers and selling them that'd be another story.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it anyways.

As far as the Eley logo goes, that gun belongs to Ms. Cathy Winsteadt. Two time world silhouette champion, personal friend, and representative for Eley ammunition. I never asked them for permission either when I built that gun and I've yet to get any sort of static for it. That was five years ago.

The Marvin the Martian character is also an exclusive to my personal rifles. I've never done anything like that on a customer gun.

Once I built a bench gun for a guy who wanted the POW/MIA insignia/logo engraved into the barrel. It was a "theme" gun of sorts. I did all kinds of goofy stuff to that thing. We did contact that agency prior to doing any of the engraving work and they endorsed it so long as I didn't alter their imagery. I had to delete a little detail because a #1 Center Drill can only cut so fine a line clearly, but I stayed with the image as much as possible.

Probably more info than you wanted, but hopefully I answered your question.

Chad

www.longriflesinc.com

Last edited by LongRifles, Inc.; January 30, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:40 PM   #11
midiwall

This thread is a bit stale, but I wanted to pop in with another suggestion.

I just had some work done by Gary DiCenzo, dba ZipGraver:
http://zipgraver.com/

My job was non-Glock, but he _does_ specialize in Glock work:
http://zipgraver.com/GLOCKENG.htm

I'm _very_ happy with my experience. He worked quick, stayed in close contact with proofing, and had VERY reasonable costs.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:07 PM   #12
longranger

What do you really want? I suggest looking at a hand engraver to do my sons gun. Some nice script with a banner would look good, not to expensive.
The laser engraving looks like laser engraving,cold no creativity,fine for cal.designation.Your gun already has a bunch roll stamped numbers and letters why not something to soften all that hard cold metal.More rolling,stamping laser engraving will still leave it an informal cold gun.