The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Looking for an experienced gun smith around the mid west

Looking for an experienced gun smith around the mid west to help build another race gun. Turning another N frame 28 into a 44 special and the great gunsmith that built my first one passed away. Price is secondary.
Need the following Barrel mounted and drill the cylinder out to shoot 44 specials, time and modify the grip frame for a start.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:47 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

Check the gun shows?

I am in eastern MO. I know a couple of gunsmiths with good reputations but don't know if they do this kind of work.

There are always several smith's with booths at our local gun shows. Perhaps a search of some in your area would provide fruits.
Old February 12, 2015, 02:13 AM   #3
1stmar

Since you didn't say you needed a gs in a particular state I assume you are ok to ship it. I would start with Hamilton Bowen. He is in tn not mid west but very good. Why does it need to be in the Midwest ? Ssk could probably do it but they are in ohio.
Old February 12, 2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

There's no doubt that Hamilton Bowen would be an excellent choice or you might try www.americanpistolsmithsguild.com to find a smith close to you or one you would prefer.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 12, 2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Ohio is part of the Midwest. SSK is near the border with WV. Sill, it's within a day trip's driving distance of Indiana, as the two states are adjacent to one another. They do a lot of revolver conversions, but I know nothing else about their revolver work. You could talk to them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 12, 2015, 01:24 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
Ohio is part of the Midwest.
Ohio is part of the "midwest" as much as Michigan and Wisconsin are part of the "northwest": it was true 200 years ago, but has not been so for over 100 years....... just because the East Coast would like to believe that the country stops at the Mississippi, and civilization ends at the Hudson, that does not make it so.

The there's a fine 'smith in Fremont, Nebraska (Cylinder & Slide), which IS in the midwest...... though nowhere near Indiana- not that this is important, really: in this modern age of aeroplanes and large horseless carriages/wagons operated by overnight freighting concerns, physical location is not nearly so important as it was when The Northwest Ordinance was passed.
Old February 12, 2015, 08:14 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Cylinder & Slide.