The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 29, 2018, 12:08 PM   #26
Doyle

My only "oddball" caliber is .260 Rem. I added a 7mm-08 to my hunting lineup this year specifically because I wanted to switch to all copper bullets and the only factory load for .260 in all copper is Barnes (which can be a bear to find).
Old November 29, 2018, 01:49 PM   #27
Old 454

I reload all my own ammunition...I cast my own bullets.

I buy my components when there plentifull.
I stockpile for when times are dry.
Dont depend on store bought ammo...ever
Old November 29, 2018, 02:23 PM   #28
Rachen

Quote:
How in the hell does someone go off hunting and forget or lose their ammo?
Well, I had once loaded a whole darn BATCH of .45LC, 25 rounds, without charging them with powder first.

Yep, you got that right. Twenty five rounds, bullet had been loosely placed over them already. Went to do something. Came back and proceeded to seat the cases, without powder. And no, I wasn't drunk. And everything was successfully salvaged. Recharged and reloaded within minutes.

Sometimes these things happen to the best of us. Lots of guys who hunted during muzzleloader season would be warming up or sighting in at the range and forget to load powder first, then projectile.
Old November 29, 2018, 03:10 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

"...How in the hell does someone go off hunting and forget or lose their ammo?..." It happens every day. Drove the half hour to the local range one day to find I had left the bolt at home. People will leave mags at home too.
It's mostly about your level of senility. If you're forgetful and tend to leave stuff behind when you go hunting, it matters. If you're not, it doesn't.
That'd be the only time shooting something odd will bite you.
Old November 29, 2018, 04:50 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

I can understand how some one could think they packed their ammo, and didn't.

What I could never understand is how someone "forgets" they have a gun in their bag at the airport!
Old November 29, 2018, 05:50 PM   #31
Mike38

My "oddball" cartridge is the 7mm STW. Got the rifle in 2003, and ammo was fairly easy to find. Not at places like Walmart, but my favorite local gun shop had a few boxes any time I needed it, for the first couple of years anyhow. That pretty much dried up. I reload, so it didn't bother me much. Five or so years ago I was in a place like Bass Pro, or similar, don't remember which store exactly. I saw one box of 7mm STW on the bottom shelf, covered with dust. Picked it up to look at the price, $75. $3.75 per round? Wow. Needless to say I put it back. Found a guy on the internet that had 300 pieces of new brass for sale, so I bought them all. I can reload them 5-6 times each, so I figure I have a lifetime supply of ammo to feed it. To heck with factory ammo.
Old November 29, 2018, 06:50 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
for the first couple of years anyhow.
This is a common enough problem, a new round is the hot new thing, everyone wants to check it out, demand is there (if the marketing worked), and there's lots of ammo around to see it becomes a popular item.

Until there isn't. Lots of good, useful rounds have literally been abandoned by manufacturers when sales get below a certain desired level. Even many which are still "supported" become scarce, and production becomes "seasonal".

Everyone had the uber magnums and ultra short magnums, everyone has various new 6.5mms TODAY. What is it going to be in 5 years? 10??

seen an 5mm Rem Mag rimfire lately?? Not from Remington.

Even the .32 Winchester Special with well over a century of use is "seasonal" production. Meaning, they only tool up and make more when stocks reach previously determined low levels.

And, the price of some niche rounds is beyond barking stupid. Sure, I realize there is an economy of scale, and military calibers are cheapest due to that, and I can understand $20 for a box of .223 and even $40 for a box of .222 (understand, not agree or be happy) but $75 for a box of .221 Fireball?? And ok, big bores use more materials and are less common, but is $90-100+ for .458 Win REALLY justifiable? (and not with "premium bullets)

of course, I don't think I ought to be paying $3+ for a gallon of gas, either..but that's just me..
Old December 4, 2018, 04:46 PM   #33
Charlie98

I guess for me it would be availability of reloading components. The most obscure cartridge I load for is the .348WCF. It has been a challenge finding loaded ammunition... except for the boutique ammo companies, Winchester is the only one making loaded ammunition for it, and only every few years from what I've seen. (Edit: I just found that Hornady also loads factory ammos for the .348! Not that I'm interested, but it's nice to see.) The big shortcoming is brass, however. It's out there, but it used to be priced pretty ridiculously; that has changed recently, though, since Starline started offering it. Even though the .348 has it's own bullet, not shared with anyone else, I've not had problems finding jacketed or cast bullets.

I guess part of it is anticipating your needs. I also load for the .41MAG... in all these years I've never said "Gosh, I don't have any ammo!" or "I was counting on WalMart to have my ammo, and they don't!" Luck favors the prepared... and I'm prepared to load .41 Magnum.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 4, 2018, 05:08 PM   #34
mr bolo

I have a East German Makarov in 9x18 that I havent fired since 1995 because the ammo is too scarce, nobody ever sells it in local gun shops, it took 20 years until I found a place that sells it retail

I also have a Tokarev in 7.62x25 with the same problem, NOBODY sells it locally, my only choice was attend a cr@ppy gun show to look for a few boxes, and many times they dont have any either.

so I converted it to 9mm luger

I dont do mail order on ammo, if I cant get the ammo locally or places like WALMART

I wont waste my money buying a firearm in a "oddball" caliber" it's annoying to own guns with uncommon ammo, unless you just keep it as a collectable and dont plan to use it.

ONLY common, easily available ammo for me.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:08 PM   #35
jgrns

I have a LOT of 9x18 Makarov ammo I'd like to get rid of...if you can figure out a way.

Aside, I'm new to the list, an FFL 01/03 and Vendor. My personal wants are .25-20. I shoot Lever Action Silhouette and since Starline doesn't/won't manufacture the brass I'm relegated to resizing .32-20 down to .25-20. Not a real easy task.
Old December 4, 2018, 06:56 PM   #36
jgrns

You are aware of the new CA ammo laws...???
Old December 4, 2018, 11:06 PM   #37
dakota.potts

Any main guns I want to shoot (self defense, competition, target shooting) it's important to me. 9mm, .223, and 6.5 Creedmoor. I only recently got a .40 because I wanted a Glock project and used .40 models were much cheaper.

I have a couple guns I would have to buy special ammo for. One is a S&W Lemon Squeezer in .32 SW. I have a ton of .32 acps (I love the vintage ones for some reason).

Also, the last gun I need to finish my 1897 Browning Patent Collection is a Colt 1902/1903 Hammer in .38 ACP. I'll gladly pay a boutique ammo loader for a box or two to shoot those on rare occasions and enjoy the history.

I don't reload yet but hopefully that will change
Old December 5, 2018, 08:03 AM   #38
Ruga Booga

I reload so no worries. I would say my "oddball" cartridges are 303 Savage and 7.35 Carcano.
Old December 5, 2018, 03:17 PM   #39
luger fan

I shoot a 9mm Flobert. A rimmed rimfire round that shoots #6 shot. It is mainly for European farmers for pest control. Classic arms is selling them for $399 with 1000 rounds of ammo. NO recoil and as quiet as my suppressed 10/22.

Try finding THAT at Wallmart.
Old December 5, 2018, 05:10 PM   #40
44caliberkid

I jumped the gun and built a 22 Nosler upper, then the Valkyrie came out 6 months later. Ammo is strictly a buy online proposition. Stores will have all the other Nosler calibers, but never 22. I have 40 cases to reload and just don't shoot it much.
Old December 6, 2018, 07:56 AM   #41
reinert

I had a Browning M71 quite a few years ago. A beautiful firearm for sure, but had I not have been a re-loader, even back then, I never would have bought the thing. Cool gun, but as a caliber, completely and uniquely obsolete. Though you can get factory ammo for it (65 bucks for a box of 20 online), and reloading components for it currently, it's still completely and uniquely obsolete (IMO and AFAIC). If I remember right, the only companies that offered bullets back when I was reloading for mine was Hornady and Barnes.

Couldn't help but look up brass for it on gunbroker; one seller had a 100 round container of new Hornady brass for the .348 Win., who had a STARTING bid of $265.00! Shootin' for the moon on that one, certain sure... And BTW, I'm still amazed that we can buy ammo and ALL reloading components on the internet, and that's at least where I live. I hope that will continue to be the case for a long while in the future.
Old December 6, 2018, 08:05 AM   #42
ammo.crafter

The odd balls

Have always been attracted to the odd ball calibers.

Been hunting with a S&W 57 41 mag for 30 years and fun shoot with 41 special for that long as well; way before 41 spcl brass had been produced.

RELOAD RELOAD RELOAD
Old December 6, 2018, 11:35 AM   #43
pete2

I load my own ammo and would not have a problem with an odd ball caliber. I've owned 257 Roberts, 300 Savage, 6.5 Swede, all fun. For a real hunting rifle, I have .243 and .270, handguns 9mm, .38, .357, .45 ACP and .45 Colt. I also own a couple ARs in 223/5.56. I would happily buy any caliber for a fun gun. For serious stuff, I'd want the option to pick up a box of ammo at the grocery store or feed store. They may not have the latest caliber ammo.
Old December 6, 2018, 11:52 AM   #44
Charlie98

Quote:
Couldn't help but look up brass for it on gunbroker; one seller had a 100 round container of new Hornady brass for the .348 Win., who had a STARTING bid of $265.00! Shootin' for the moon on that one, certain sure... And BTW, I'm still amazed that we can buy ammo and ALL reloading components on the internet, and that's at least where I live. I hope that will continue to be the case for a long while in the future.
Some years ago, when there was a drought on new .348 brass, I saw some go for almost $4/cs on GB!!! I almost sold off my stash at prices like that! It was almost cheaper to buy loaded ammo...

We are in high cotton right now... brass is available, and both cast and jacketed bullets. I've got 400 .348 cases, and 80 rounds of factory ammos. I get my cast bullets from Montana.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 6, 2018, 09:32 PM   #45
jugornot

I avoid uncommon calibers. My rifles are 3 of the most common rounds: 22LR, 223/5.56 and 308W/7.62x51. I reload the centerfire cartridges. The 22LR I stockpile a few thousand rounds. I personally don't like the 7.62x39. The 308 stands in good stead for 30-06.
Old December 7, 2018, 03:44 AM   #46
amprecon

It is a big deal for me, that being said I jumped on the 6.8spc bandwagon around 2008. But I have yet to buy one round at a gun store. All my 6.8spc ammo has been bought on-line. Even though that ammo is expensive, I'm so hooked on it I won't let it go unless 6.8spc production ceases altogether. Even then I'd probably get into reloading just to stay with the caliber.

When I went shopping for a hunting rifle I wanted something in a caliber I could use in Alaska should the opportunity ever arise and I didn't want any magnums. I had settled on .358win, then on .35 Whelen, but after doing much research decided that the ol' .30-06 was probably the best choice since ammo is available nearly everywhere and it is a great all-around hunting round.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old December 7, 2018, 04:07 AM   #47
Hawg

Even tho I cast and reload, most of my stuff now is readily available at Walmart and in some cases is cheaper than I can reload it. I do have a couple of 44-40's that are pretty much reloading only. Factory ammo can be found but it's expensive.
Old December 7, 2018, 04:54 AM   #48
luger fan

Tough. I shoot the rimmed rimfire 9mm Flobert shotshell. Try finding THOSE at Walmart.
Old December 7, 2018, 11:34 AM   #49
joe45c

I reload all my centerfire calibers. i do have 3 odd ball calibers that i pretty much have load for; .25-20, .32-20 , and .307. I can find these 3 at my LGS but at a very high cost.
Old December 7, 2018, 10:43 PM   #50
Rachen

Quote:
You are aware of the new CA ammo laws...???
What are the new CA ammo laws? I assume they are not good for us at all, right? I thought New York was bad enough with the SAFE Act, having to have your identification logged for purchasing ammo, correct ammo for gun registered to you, etc... What have they come up with in CA this time?

That aside, I NEVER recommend anyone getting oddball calibers. Unless you have enough reloading tools at your disposal to run an independent ammunition manufacturing plant. And I have hunting bows to back up my guns too, in the event that they may need to be used too.