The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2018, 07:20 PM   #26
zeke

Also liked the unplated rem 38 special for loading swaged wadcutters. Hardley any deformation when seating them. However hadn't bought/loaded any swaged wadcutters in decades.

Actually have a preference for rem 9mm brass, it is thicker.
Old November 27, 2018, 07:25 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Hdwhit,

If you look at post 9, you'll see this came from Remington itself. Very odd, given they sell the bulk brass for handloading. Do they expect handloaders will only use it once? Dream on, marketing guys.

Zeke,

Are you using Remington swagged wadcutters? After Ed Harris did some tests showing how well they shot, I waited for a special and bought several thousand from Midway. Prior to that, they seemed to be scarce. They do work well in the old K-frame.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 27, 2018, 07:27 PM   #28
zeke

CW308-Believe the coated lead bullets are onto something. The 215 wide flat nose can do double duty, if your pistol feeds them. They are now producing bullets without the lube groove. Am still fond of the 3 inchers, but only have the kimber ultra (ramped barrel) now.

Am mostly using 200 lrnfp's, part of the reason for liking thicker brass. Very little full dia to interference fit.

http://missouribullet.com/results.ph...0&secondary=13
Old November 27, 2018, 07:29 PM   #29
Mike38

I've reloaded plenty of Remington .45acp. But, it's not my brass of choice. Maybe it's just me, but Rem brass just doesn't seem to load as well, and the cases seem to split quicker than other brands. Maybe it is thinner walled than most?
Old November 27, 2018, 07:31 PM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Yep, it's thinner.

Zeke, see my question to you I edited into my last post. You posted while I was editing it in.
Old November 27, 2018, 08:33 PM   #31
USSR

Quote:
Are you using Remington swagged wadcutters? After Ed Harris did some tests showing how well they shot, I waited for a special and bought several thousand from Midway.
Nick,

I did the same. This spring I want to run all the various .38 HBWC's thru my K-38 in my Ransom Rest to see how they all stack up. At this point, I have the Remingtons, Alberts, and the ones that come out of my mould. I need about 30 of: Hornady, Speer, and Precision Delta to cover all the HBWC's that I am aware of. Would be willing to trade some of the HBWC's I have for those I don't have.

Don
Old November 27, 2018, 08:40 PM   #32
cw308

USSR
Don were you getting case bulge with the .,455 bullet ? any feed problems ?
Old November 27, 2018, 08:49 PM   #33
USSR

Quote:
USSR
Don were you getting case bulge with the .,455 bullet ? any feed problems ?
I use a custom made oversized expander. Zero feed problems - the cartridges slip into the cylinder nicely. Any of you guys with a S&W 25-2 are aware of the oversized throats of those otherwise great revolvers.

Don
Old November 27, 2018, 09:21 PM   #34
zeke

Uncle Nick-Was using the Hornady's and Speer. Had better accuracy with the hdys/Rem brass combo, but messy. The older 38 S&W's owned have slightly larger cylinder throats. Was practicing poker with a K38 4 screw, as it just "hangs right" in my off hand. In the upcoming poker matches, any ties will be determined single off hand.

Was never an official target shooter, and now adjust my shooting style for poor eyesight and progressives.
Old November 28, 2018, 07:49 PM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

If you do any casting, look at the Lee Tumble Lube wadcutter mold. I shoot them as-cast from the K-38 and found they cut groups in half as compared to Federal match ammunition. I got the 6-cavity mold because they have tighter registration and, of course, faster production ability than the two-holers.
Old November 28, 2018, 08:08 PM   #36
USSR

This is the hollowbase wadcutter that I cast.

Don

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mp-molds 359-395HBWC_1-smaller.jpg (46.4 KB, 1352 views)
Old November 28, 2018, 08:25 PM   #37
FITASC

I have reloaded Remington brass in 9mm, 32SWL, 38, 357, 45ACP and 32ACP without any issues, even after multiple loadings.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 28, 2018, 08:35 PM   #38
cw308

Don
Those bullets are a work of art . Reloading is so satisfying when you get the right combo but to make your own is another level . Nice Work.

Chris
Old November 28, 2018, 09:03 PM   #39
USSR

Thanks for your kind words Chris.

Don
Old November 28, 2018, 10:09 PM   #40
cw308

Don
Not kind only the truth. Keep up the good work .

Chris
Old November 29, 2018, 10:09 AM   #41
Sure Shot Mc Gee

There is no reason to believe Rem brass has a life span shorter than any other USA made brass. Whom ever made such a comment had to be instigating a debate of fellow Form members.
Old November 29, 2018, 11:03 AM   #42
pete2

Remington.45 brass does seem to be thinner than others. I don get the bulge at the base of the bullet like some other brass. This is a good thing. The bulge doesn't seem to matter in my semi autos(guess they all have oversized chambers) but I have a revolver that needs ammo close to factory spec and the Remington brass is great for it. On another note, I bought a set of Lee carbide dies (tried to save a buck) guess the sizing die is oversize a tad, didn't work with the Rem brass. Rem brass works fine with RCBS and Dillon dies.