The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 19, 2018, 07:39 PM   #26
zxcvbob

Try Herco powder, especially with cast bullets. It's like Unique with longer legs.
For jacketed bullets and hot loads (but not quite as hot as you can get with W296, etc), use AA#7.

I don't shoot my .41 much, but I like 210-ish grain cast bullets with whatever shotgun powder I have handy, loaded to just under 1000 fps.
Old October 20, 2018, 02:25 PM   #27
SIGSHR

A 210 SWC over 7.5 grains is my load, no unburned powder, fine accuracy in a 4" barrel.
Old October 23, 2018, 05:52 AM   #28
rodfac

Very nice target Walnut17, good work, Sir! And a nice load too. Here's a couple of mine....

With most any good LSWC @ ~215 gr, I've found 5.7 gr of 231 to be a superb load. Valley's example chrono's at 852 fps from my 6" M57 Smith & will do an inch at 25 yds from rest. Comfortable, accurate, lots of smack from that SWC, it's my carry load here on the farm when I'm toting one of my .41's.

Up that 231 load to 6.5 gr with the same wt. SWC's and velocities vary from 960 to 1006 fps, depending on crimp and which bullet I've loaded. Accuracy is as good as the milder load.

As to components, if you don't cast your own, and wish to use lead alloy, Missouri Bullet Co. offers a fine example in the SWC style, that I've had good to excellent accuracy with. If leading is a problem with that hard lube most commercial casters employ, try Lee Liquid Alox, with their 'swirl' lube technique and see if that doesn't cure your problems!

As always, if interested in the above loads....consult a GOOD manual, consider the pressure implications and work up your own. The above is mild in my .41's. (A pair of Ruger BH's and the aforementioned Smith 57)

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 23, 2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old October 25, 2018, 04:27 AM   #29
azsixshooter

Thanks Rod and even more importantly, thanks for your service! I use Win 231 for my .357 loads so I am interested in trying the ones you suggest. I will certainly follow your advice and work up from published book data.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old October 25, 2018, 07:54 AM   #30
Real Gun

Handloader magazine Feb-Mar 2003 features loading for the .41 Magnum.
Old October 25, 2018, 11:46 PM   #31
azsixshooter

That's great! I found that back issue for sale through Wolf Outdoors Publishing for $10. I'll definitely pick it up. Thanks a lot for the heads-up!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old October 26, 2018, 07:06 AM   #32
agtman

Quote:
Handloader magazine Feb-Mar 2003 features loading for the .41 Magnum.
I have that issue of Handloader. The author was Brian Pearce. The article is called, "Loads for the .41 Magnum - the other magnum."

He also wrote "The .41 Remington Magnum," which appeared in Handloader issue #285, Aug., 2013.

Both pieces are products of the Regurgitation Theory of Gun Writing.

There being little that's actually new in the world of guns & ammo, if you just wait long enough you can publish the same piece again with merely the rearrangement of a few paragraphs of copy and a slightly different title, and most readers, having forgotten the first one, will smile and think how wonderfully original the later piece is.

Ten years seems about right ...
Old October 26, 2018, 08:08 AM   #33
Real Gun

Pretty cynical this morning. Hope your day goes well.
Old November 15, 2018, 02:14 AM   #34
Crazy Carl

OP- I have that same model. Great gun & love mine.

Unique is tried & true in the .41, but doesn't meter very well. I use W231 for .45ACP, so may try some in the .41. I really like 2400 a lot for the .41. Meters very well & can be run hotter than I wanna hang on to.
Old November 16, 2018, 05:41 PM   #35
gwpercle

A comprehensive little reloading guide is " The Complete Reloading Manual for the .41 Magnum ". I picked it up on Amazon when ordering some of Elmer Keiths books.
It puts a lot of data in one place.

NOE makes an awesome 41 wadcutter mould, I bought one and really like it.....
Makes a very accurate target load and when loaded up, the wadcutter's flat front hits hard.
It's the NOE 413-215-WC (413432) . If you have a 41 magnum and you cast....you need to try this design....it's a winner !
Gary
Old November 16, 2018, 05:49 PM   #36
agtman

Quote:
A comprehensive little reloading guide is "The Complete Reloading Manual for the .41 Magnum." I picked it up on Amazon when ordering some of Elmer Keiths books. It puts a lot of data in one place.
Yes it does. But it's also dated.

On the other hand, there's not much new data under the sun for reloading the .41 Magnum - whether for handgun hunting, general 'plinking' use, or even for self-defense.
Old November 16, 2018, 06:23 PM   #37
saleen322

We have 41 magnums in this Ruger Redhawk and a Contender. I used to shoot Unique for light to mid range loads and then 2400 or H110 for faster stuff. I have since switched to Power Pistol with is cleaner and much more accurate than all of the Unique loads. For heavy loads, you can't beat AA9. Here is a 10-shot group from 25 yards and it will do this time and again. The bullet is a NOE 240 FPGC. Good luck with your 41 mag and hope this helps.

Old November 16, 2018, 08:46 PM   #38
Real Gun

Quote:
On the other hand, there's not much new data under the sun for reloading the .41 Magnum - whether for handgun hunting, general 'plinking' use, or even for self-defense.
I wouldn't expect it to be more than any other. Alliant did bother to develop and publish a load for the 41 with BE-86
Old November 17, 2018, 09:32 AM   #39
Charlie98

Quote:
Yes it does. But it's also dated.
I agree. I bought a bunch of those books when I first got into reloading back in the early '90's and it was dated then. I've seen them for sale at Cabelas... I hope they have updated the data in them.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 19, 2018, 01:56 PM   #40
redhawk41

Nice revolver!

I have some of those CP 265 grainers loaded up over W296 and they leave the grip checkering impressed on my hand after shooting. Not sure about the accuracy yet...
Old December 1, 2018, 10:32 PM   #41
Ridgerunner665

Wanted to try something different... I chose Accurate 4100 powder for my 41 mag (6 inch New Model Blackhawk).

4100 is the same powder as Ramshot Enforcer (verified by Western)....all the speed of 296 or H110, and a lot less flash.

21 grains of 4100 gets 1,501 fps with 210 XTP's from the 6" Blackhawk... ES 6, SD 3.... No signs of pressure, the cases drop right out, no case head expansion.

2400, 296, H110, and AA9 are all great I'm sure... But there area others that work very well too.

Accurates load data... These numbers are based on a 10 inch barrel.