The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Darksith

Where to find new bullet ballistic/reloading info?

It seems that everything that can go against me right before my moose hunt is. I am out of powder, and they don't have any IMR 4350 powder left, so I have bought H4350. But this powder isn't in my either of my reloading handbooks. To add to this the bullet I am using isn't there either b/c it is brand spankin new.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the info I need to reload my rounds that I will need for this upcoming hunt? I leave in 4 days and I need to reload 50 rounds, plus go sight in 3 different rifles with these rounds.

I am shooting a 30-06, I am using the Hornady GMX 165 grain bullet, and I have a fresh can of H4350 powder. I need a safe load, and since the bullet and powder are both new to me and I don't have either in any manuals Im not gonna start loading until I have the right info so I don't go over max or even close to it.
Old October 7, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Call Hornady. Their techs are friendly and will help you. As in your other thread, just making a SWAG at the result is not a good plan. Hornady is at 800-338-3220, and they are there 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time tomorrow.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 7, 2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Christchild

I've read that Hornady states, use the load data for similar SST's when loading for the GMX, but You have to look around to find that. It MAY be on MidwayUSA when You're looking at GMX bullets.
Old October 7, 2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Darksith

whats an SST?
Old October 7, 2009, 10:03 PM   #5
jimkim

Use the 168gr data from Hodgdon. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Begin with the starting load and work up.
Old October 7, 2009, 10:56 PM   #6
emcon5

Quote:
whats an SST?
https://www.hornady.com/shop/Bullets_SST_popup.htm

The 7th edition manual lists a starting load for H4350 with 165-168gr bullets as 48.0 grains, with a max load of 58.9 grains.

This is similar to the data Hodgdon publishes here.
Old October 7, 2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Bushmaster223

The Complete Guide To Hornady states: "We designed the GMX to duplicate the SST's flight pathwhen driven at the same speed. The ballistic coefficient is almost identical. You can use SST load data....." Hope this helps.
Old October 7, 2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Darksith

where do I find SST load info? I see that Emcom told me the loading info and JimKim gave me a link, but I don't see any referalls to SST in the link anywhere.
Old October 8, 2009, 12:12 AM   #9
emcon5

What I posted is from the Hornady book for all of their 165 grain bullets, including the SST.
Old October 8, 2009, 02:28 AM   #10
jimkim

Quote:
I see that Emcom told me the loading info and JimKim gave me a link, but I don't see any referalls to SST in the link anywhere.
You can use the Hodgdon load data for either the 168gr or 175gr bullets. Don't start with the maximum load. The 168gr bullet listed in the data is a Hornady HPBT. The pressure listed with the starting load is 40,400 CUP. The SAAMI rating for the 30-06 is 50,000 CUP.

If your worried about using that starting load, you can, as a general rule, use the starting charge for the next heavier bullet. Since the 175gr and 168gr data is the same, the next step would be 180gr. That put's you at 52.0gr if that makes you more comfortable.

Quote:
Bullet Weight not Found in Manuals
Lee:
If the bullet weight you wish to load is not found in your favorite manual, it is safe to use loads listed for a heavier bullet weight and find a load for the powder you have. Using that load with the lighter bullet simply reduces the pressure, but the velocity remains approximately the same.

Speer:
The physics of loading cartridges indicates that a heavier bullet will build pressures faster than a lighter bullet owing to its mass. The greater mass of the heavier bullet resists change (acceleration) more than a lighter mass so the powder charges for the heavier bullet will nearly always be lower than those for the lighter bullet of the same construction. This indicates that, without other data to follow, the heavier bullet data can be used as a starting point for the lighter bullet.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/about_us/faq.aspx

Last edited by jimkim; October 8, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Sevens

Leaving for a hunt in FOUR DAYS?
Sheeesh. This should have been done six months ago and you know it.

Your problem is already solved... you happen to be trying to put this together for a .30-06:

Admit you screwed up and go buy three boxes of factory ammo. Hornady makes terrific factory ammo and will serve you will. And the regret you'll have that you didn't craft your own stuff falls quite squarely at your feet for letting the situation sit.
Old October 8, 2009, 09:14 AM   #12
Longdayjake

Quote:
Admit you screwed up and go buy three boxes of factory ammo. Hornady makes terrific factory ammo and will serve you will. And the regret you'll have that you didn't craft your own stuff falls quite squarely at your feet for letting the situation sit.
Wow thats harsh. Deer season starts in two days and I haven't even tried out my new deer load yet. I made a few different loads and I am going to try and see how they shoot today. I will take the best of the few that I try. Its not that hard to develop a new load in a short amount of time. As long as you have time to testfire them you should be fine.
Old October 8, 2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Sevens

Well, not my intention to be harsh... Pretty much my intention to point out the obvious.

A hunt can be RUINED by a hurried along process. Factory ammo solves this big nightmare, as much as he obviously would like to use his own handcrafted ammo.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Scorch

You need a couple of manuals, it seems. Getting reloading info from others is not safe or wise. Try the Hornady and Lyman manuals. They seem to be very popular.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:32 AM   #15
azar92

Darksith,

Just out of curiosity, which two reloading manuals do you have? If one of them is not the latest Hornady and you plan to shoot a lot of Hornady bullets you should buy it. But for your current situation I'd do a few things.

1) Go to data.hodgdon.com. Hodgdon publishes extensive data for free for most any caliber. Use a bullet of the same or slightly heavier weight.
2) Call Hodgdon directly and ask if they have data for your powder/bullet combo.
3) Call Hornady and get data directly from them.

Oh, and the SST stands for "Super Shock Tip". It's Hornady's version of a plastic ballistic tipped bullet. If Hornady recommends using the same load data as their SST that simplifies things.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:30 PM   #16
Christchild

DarkSith,

1st, SST's are Super Shock Tips. It's a Hornady bullet that's coupled with the "Interlock" construction, which promotes better weight retention, and we all know that encourages better penetration. The SST's are a Lead Core/Copper Jacketed bullet, plus Interlock construction, but also designed with higher Ballistic Coefficient's in mind.

You have H4350, using GMX 165 grain, 30-06 Sprg.......

Hornady 7th Edition... 165-168 gr. bullets... H4350...
Hornady Brass... C.O.L. for Super Shock Tip (SST) 3.230"

*Starting Load- 48.0 grains, estimated 2400 FPS
*50.1 grains, estimated 2500 FPS
*52.3 grains, estimated 2600 FPS
*54.5 grains, estimated 2700 FPS
*56.7 grains, estimated 2800 FPS
*MAX LOAD, 58.9 grains, estimated 2900 FPS

I hope this gets to You in time.

THIS IS STRAIGHT OUT OF THE MANUAL.

Last edited by Christchild; October 8, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:44 PM   #17
Darksith

Thanks Christchild,

I called hornady, and they said exactly what you just told me except the max load according to them is 58, and they didn't think I would get that high, he figured 56 would probably be my max. I have loaded 47 rounds, now Im off to see what they do. Im hunting moose so Im not too concerned at this point about shooting MA groups, if they are tight then I'll be shooting for the head, if they are a bit sloppy I'll be shooting for lung and heart. Thanks to all for helping me be safe and secure in my own mind.
Old October 8, 2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Christchild

Good deal.

Try to avoid that max load. I use lower powder charges for many reasons...

I tend to get much better accuracy (a PLUS), and less powder is less pressure and heat, which is easier on Your barrel (PLUS). It also help to extend case life (PLUS).
Old October 9, 2009, 09:43 AM   #19
Darksith

Im shooting a 52grain round on this trip, should be just fine.