The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 22, 2009, 02:50 PM   #26
alan243

we shoot pins twice a week here in salt lake, as far as guns go, i shoot both auto and revolvers, and also single action, I have a 627 8 shot with moon clips, 38 spl loads with 230grn lead wadcutters going 800fps, I have a 625 that I load with 255grn swc behind either 231 or v540... then i have a clark pinmaster 45 1911 that i shoot the 255 swc at 800fps. i also have other guns but they do the best on pins, Reload on the line and you will get beat. i usually shoot 6 shots, the 6th is to make the last pin move faster as its falling... I have been shooting pins for 19yrs and have ran the pin shoots for the last 5
Old January 1, 2011, 05:59 AM   #27
Amin Parker

Bowling pin shooting is my favourite shooting sport of them all. I find it the most challenging because Bowling Pins dont allow you to get away with being a sloppy shooter.

All the pins do not face you the same way, this means that you have to search for your target everytime you swing your gun. This is good training for self defence shooting i think.

The perfect Pin Buster imho would be a 1911 with a nice trigger
Old January 1, 2011, 05:34 PM   #28
RGPM1A

I have used 45 ACP (revolver and pistol), 45 LC (revolver), 357 (revolver) and 10mm (revolver and pistol) for pins with cast and JHPs in search of the perfect pin gun over the years. 10mm with 200 grain Hornady JHPs going 1200fps are just the ticket. They will sweep the pins off the table into the next county.

I found that 357 would often go through the pins and just knock them over. 45s with 200 to 255 grain bullets going fast enough to a good job would beat the gun to death (broke the lugs off several semi auto barrels - moon clipped revolver was great though) and 45 LC was too slow to reload but was a great pin gun.

From observation 38 spl, 9mm, 38 super are all very marginal unless you are a very, very good shot or there is a special table with the pins set at the back for these calibers. 44 spl also appeared to be a good pin load but too slow to reload and 44 mag was good too but most people using them would load them too hot and they were either uncontrollable or the bullets would just go through the pins. The 44 mags were also a slow reload.

Photos of my current 10mm pin guns a slab comped M610 and a comped Colt Delta Elite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1589.jpg (247.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1537.jpg (178.4 KB, 72 views)
Old January 3, 2011, 10:01 AM   #29
kraigwy

I've found that soft lead works better, but then I use cast 225 grn RN bullets for my Gold Cup. The 45 ACP dosn't need velocity so soft cast bullets dont lead that much.

As a side note: For those who enjoy pin shooting, you should try "post shootes" where a 4X4 post is set up, and you have a two man team. The time stops when you cut the post in two.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 12, 2011, 02:27 PM   #30
Jimbo-Indy

Update since my last post:
My new favorite "pin gun" is a S&W 610, 6 1/2" loaded with 180 gr. Montana Gold flat-points and max load of Longshot. This load crono's about 1350 FPS out of my gun. This load drives 'em off the table with authority. The heavy gun minimizes muzzle jump and the moon clips speed reloads. I've done better with this than anything else I've shot.
We have found that in cold weather, the pins will shatter quickly. For the winter months, we set up the club's plate racks with bowling pin shaped plates (official size and lazer cut). Not the same but it keeps you in practice and lighter loads work well.