The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1
awaveritt

Load development for point of aim

I have shot a thousand or so 158gr. lead bullets over 3.5 gr. of Bullseye thru my S&W 638 and have become used to the point of aim relative to my sighting hold. Now I'm casting some 125 gr. RN and am wondering what kind of change in point of aim I can expect. I plan to also use 3.5 grs of Bullseye to start out, but will this raise or lower the expected point of aim? I'm assuming an increased charge will be needed to return to my original point of impact with the 125 grain bullets. Anyone already invented this wheel?
Old October 8, 2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Handgun POI is pretty much governed by bullet weight. Charge difference has a kind of built-in compensation. A hotter charge recoils more, but gets the bullet clear of the barrel sooner, and the two factors tend to cancel out. Not perfectly, but that's the tendency. A lighter bullet, though, gets out faster with less recoil, so the muzzle just doesn't rise as much before it exits. The result is lower point of impact by a few inches at 25 yards. Exactly how much depends on the gun weight and barrel length and is best determined experimentally. It seems to me that at 25 yards my Dan Wesson had about a 6" increase in POI going from 110 grain to 158 grain bullets. I've forgotten if that was with its 6" or its 8" barrel?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 8, 2009, 01:57 PM   #3
snuffy

A S&W 638 doesn't have adjustable sights? I can see why you're concerned if you have fixed sights.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?