The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 21, 2020, 09:07 PM   #1
keegah

1600s Dutch Sea Service pistol

Can anybody give me some help on this. It is said its a Dutch Sea Service pistol found buried in an oilcloth in Florida. Pardon the rather crude drawing of the "strike Plate"
Thanks, everybody
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pistol.pdf (1.70 MB, 238 views)
File Type: pdf Dutch pistol striker plate.pdf (1.27 MB, 129 views)
Old June 22, 2020, 12:33 PM   #2
pwc

Wow, is this yours? Can't help with ID, but would love to hear any story behind it.
Old June 27, 2020, 10:52 AM   #3
keegah

Found by gentleman named John Durham on Hutchinson Island Florida. Was found buried in an oil cloth. Has 4 notches on it. There were 3 Dutch pirate ships burned to the waterline by Ais Indians in early 1600s ca 1627-1650. Possibly from one of these ships
Old July 1, 2020, 12:43 PM   #4
Armybrat

That was a very cool find, and it is invery good shape to have been buried maybe 400 years.
Old July 26, 2020, 08:13 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I don't think it's a naval pistol, and I don't think it's Dutch, and I don't think it's from the 1600s. I think it's later, mid 1700s.

This is primarily my gut talking, but I've seen a fair number of European and American naval pistols over the years...

First, it's a bit too elaborate for a sea service pistol. Generally sea service pistols were fairly simple and tended not to have a lot of brass, especially not the filigreed brass side plate on the left like that one has.

The grip furniture is also quite elaborate, again, not in keeping with general military styles, even in the 1600s/1700s, and especially not naval arms that would be subject to extreme corrosive environments.

Also, naval pistols generally had a clip on the left hand side that would allow it to be shoved into the waist band of the user's pants or a belt. Think boarding party use where you'd fire the one in your hand, drop it, and pull another loaded one out of your belt.

None of those observations are definitive, of course, but I think combined they tend to indicate that it's not a naval pistol.

Now, the one telling thing, at least for me, is the Fleur de Lis decoration on the grip cap.

Combine that with the filigreed plate on the left side of the gun, and I think that's a French pistol, and it's most likely a French Dragoon pistol. Still a bit on the elaborate side, but not out of the ordinary because the Dragoons were elite troops and generally their weapons had a lot more decorative properties to them.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 26, 2020, 05:36 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I concur Mike's assessment that it is a dragoon pistol. That looks very much like a saddle gun to me. The dragoons had a holster built into the saddles. Though most had a pair, or "brace" of pistols in the saddle holsters.

In any event it is a fine looking weapon, and in awesome shape for such an old piece.