The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 08:29 PM   #26
Auto5

I just filed my patent application. Thanks for the idea.
Old May 10, 2019, 09:49 PM   #27
stinkeypete

Bill...
http://kuctc.ku.edu/faculty/protect-...lic-disclosure

In the US, one may have a one year grace period between disclosure and patent filing. One year would be rough to get a patent! That's a LOT of required research in to prior art.

Without foreign patents, I would think this is fairly useless. (Well, I suspect that there is plenty of prior art on "safety" devices linked to holstering).
Old May 15, 2019, 09:42 AM   #28
george91

What does it do?
1. The safety was off when I put it in the holster. Somehow I opened it in holster or I forgot about it and it fired involuntary.
2. I saw a bear in the forest. It was running towards me. I'm panicking. I pulled my gun. didn't shoot. I tried again. No... I forgot the safety off. The bear hurt me.
Eliminates such problems.
Just load your gun and put it in the holster. A hundred percent now safe. Pull your gun. A hundred percent shoots.
"My invention solves the problems encountered in extreme conditions..."
"When there is a round in the pipe i forgot it. I put my gun on my hip or holster. It's safe with my invention.(drop condition excluding)
When I don't have my invention.
Not safe...
Open to involuntary fire now."
"My invention provides maximum security. Because it closes the front of the firing pin."
Old May 15, 2019, 09:54 AM   #29
TailGator

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the advantages you cite are things that occur only when someone is very unfamiliar with their handgun. Your device seems bulky, and some have expressed concerns about it affecting their grip. I wouldn't expect much market in the US.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:44 AM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by george91
"My invention provides maximum security. Because it closes the front of the firing pin."
But your conceptual drawing appears to show a device that acts as a hammer block, placing itself between the firing pin and a falling hammer. But a great many semi-automatic pistols today don't have a firing pin, they have an internal striker. Take any Glock model, for example. There is no hammer for your device to block, so it would appear that your idea cannot be used on the type of semi-automatic pistol that probably constitutes the majority of sales today.

In addition, there are the other problems that have been mentioned in previous responses.

Quote:
1. The safety was off when I put it in the holster. Somehow I opened it in holster or I forgot about it and it fired involuntary.
A holster should always cover the trigger. If any firearm fires "involuntarily" when it is in a holster that properly protects the trigger, it's because of a mechanical defect with the firearm.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:38 PM   #31
george91

Yes. If there is one or more faults on your gun while there is a round in the barrel, involuntary firing does not occur.(with my invention)
Old May 15, 2019, 06:03 PM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

But, George, with all due respect ... you have not responded to the comment that your idea appears to function only on pistols with an external hammer. Is there some way it can function on a striker-fired pistol such as a Glock?
Old May 15, 2019, 06:31 PM   #33
george91

Quote:
But, George, with all due respect ... you have not responded to the comment that your idea appears to function only on pistols with an external hammer. Is there some way it can function on a striker-fired pistol such as a Glock?
theoretically applicable.
Old May 15, 2019, 06:36 PM   #34
JERRYS.

I prefer the safety between my thumb and middle finger.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:33 PM   #35
george91

When you pull your weapon, the firing pin is opened and ready to shoot. Did I turn on the safety? Or was it closed? These questions aren't in my head. I make my shot and put my gun in his holster. The safety switches off automatically. Even if my gun is faulty, it won't blow up in my pocket. in this way, I can carry my gun with maximum safety when there is a round in the barrel. This is the purpose of my invention. Ask those who have questions ...
Old May 15, 2019, 07:36 PM   #36
precision_shooter

How is it “theoretically applicable” to non-hammer fired pistols? The drawing only shows an external device. For it to be applicable to striker fired guns (the striker mechanism is not external like a hammer) it would have to be installed internally. To do so, based on the drawing, a slot would have to be cut in the slide for the device to reach the striker. But then would have to retract far enough to clear the slide and allow it to move freely when fired. Then, you’re left with a hole in the slide for debris and muck to get into the internals and cause all kinds of other issues, such as NOT firing when you need it the most...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 15, 2019, 07:57 PM   #37
FAS1

Thanks for sharing George and I commend you for your idea. For me, I have never had a gun that was faulty and discharge on its own.

For my carry and home defense guns, they are always chambered with no separate external safeties. If needed, I want to draw the gun and fire a round when the trigger is pulled. I do always keep them in a holster so that it is impossible to grab them by the trigger on accident, so I don't think you idea is something for me.

On the other hand, I do hear people being concerned with guns such as the Glocks that have no external safety when carrying AIWB and re-holstering. I could see an automatic engaging safety blocking the firing pin when holstered. It would have to be much less intrusive and work with striker fired guns.

Good luck!
Old May 15, 2019, 08:13 PM   #38
Cheapshooter

Quote:
By an apendage, not only butt ugly, but completely unnecessary that can get fouled, or bent precluding it's intended purpose of making lazy, careless shooters out of new gun owners. Giving new shooters a "crutch" so they can forget engaging the safety on a gun that's safe operation depends upon it becomes ng engaged. An appendage hanging out the side of a pistol that does nothing that existing safeties, proper training, and common safety practices does quite well.
Where's that Glock gadget thingy that was going to set the Glock world on its ear a couple years ago? Do the majority of Glock owners even know it exists, or care for that matter?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 15, 2019, 08:18 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I prefer the safety between my thumb and middle finger.
Actually the one between the ears. Especially the other guy's ears. Even more the ones that think some contraption on the side of his gun negates the necessary use of said safety between the ears!
Old May 15, 2019, 10:41 PM   #40
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by george91
When you pull your weapon, the firing pin is opened and ready to shoot. Did I turn on the safety? Or was it closed? These questions aren't in my head. I make my shot and put my gun in his holster. The safety switches off automatically. Even if my gun is faulty, it won't blow up in my pocket. in this way, I can carry my gun with maximum safety when there is a round in the barrel. This is the purpose of my invention. Ask those who have questions ...
I think we all understand the purpose, and I think we all appreciate your ingenuity. But you have not responded to the issue that many semi-automatic pistols sold today do not have a hammer or a "firing pin" -- they have an internal, spring-loaded striker. How can your invention prevent an accidental discharge of a pistil that has a striker, and no hammer?
Old May 16, 2019, 07:03 AM   #41
precision_shooter

I’m starting to think that this idea was narrow focused to hammer-fired guns and not thought was given to non-hammer guns. It’s been asked numerous times, at a high level and detailed level, how it would work and there is no response other than “it’s theoretically applicable”.

Not betting my money or life on “theoretically applicable”...

This seems to be a solution searching for a problem imho...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 16, 2019, 10:11 AM   #42
dogtown tom

An external "safety" as shown in the OP's drawing is a recipe for disaster.
All it takes to defeat the function is a piece of sand/dirt/clothing/mud/etc preventing the hinged device from fully closing when holstered.

There are already far more functional designs that:
work
aren't butt ugly
safer
don't add additional weight
don't add additional bulk
don't interfere with operation of the slide

One is this device for Glocks: https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/pr...control-device

Reliance on "safety devices" for the safe operation of a firearm is an accident waiting to happen. It promotes complacency, carelessness and a lackadaisical attitude toward gun handling. Proper training makes any gun safe.

Care in reholstering is every bit as important as drawing/unholstering.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 16, 2019, 10:27 AM   #43
tipoc

I said this earlier...the op is unfamiliar with handguns.

When I was 12 I designed a train that could travel 300 miles and hour in an underground tunnel. Beat Elon Musk to the punch by a couple of decades. Better design than his as well.

I also designed an "earth submarine" that could hold 20 people and dig through the earth to find jewels and such and rescue trapped miners.

These would have worked well if I knew anything about trains or mining.

That's the issue with this idea. It could work until you learn how handguns work then it doesn't.

I wish the OP luck.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old May 16, 2019, 01:21 PM   #44
dyl

Not sure if you guys read my post. But for striker fired you could take the same principle and have something protrude into the plunger of the firing pin safety block on a Glock. Glock/M&P safety plungers are dumbbell shaped, plenty of space to stick something in there. This would interrupt the travel of the trigger / trigger bar rearward. Of course now there's the new hole that could introduce debris inside but it could be done.

Tailgator, yes I think you could actually embed the entire lever so that it fits flush into the frame when depressed. If you imagine the same lever thinner, narrower. It's way overbuilt in the picture, as thick as the slide wall which is unnecessary. Have you seen "Zev" glock aftermarket slides? They mill so much away, one could choose to mill a partial thickness or full thickness longitudinal track to fit a lever in without detriment. Hey, it's already half way done here http://www.zevtechnologies.com/Drago...lock-34-Gen-4- And in this case, nothing is adjusted with the timing even with the change in mass. Don't like the lever idea? How about a spring loaded button with a ramp that interfaces with a rod and slides the rod to the rear, interrupting a part of the action. That way everything could be flush when depressed, no protruding joint.

I still don't think there's a market in the civilian world for this in the USA. It sounds like the OP may have immigrated from another country so it's a possibility the target is a different market. Here, a person would have to spend their money to get their slide milled and get it professionally installed. If they could do it themselves, they may be comfortable enough with firearms that they would be less likely to feel the need for another safety. It would void warranty, may decrease resale value since it's a permanent addition. And to adapt it to other guns the hardware would have to be of different lengths. But, if you have LOTS of money and time and would like to be able say you invented it, I say go ahead. But if you were thinking about investing your life savings into it and expecting a good return, I'd be cautious.
Old May 16, 2019, 03:00 PM   #45
george91

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and feedback. I hope I don't paddle.
Old May 16, 2019, 03:49 PM   #46
Fishbed77

Quote:
What does it do?
2. I saw a bear in the forest. It was running towards me. I'm panicking. I pulled my gun. didn't shoot. I tried again. No... I forgot the safety off. The bear hurt me.
Just load your gun and put it in the holster. A hundred percent now safe. Pull your gun. A hundred percent shoots.
"When there is a round in the pipe i forgot it. I put my gun on my hip or holster. It's safe with my invention.(drop condition excluding)
Not safe...
Open to involuntary fire now."
I applaud your effort and "putting the idea out there." It's not easy to do, and folks can be pretty critical. Firearm development is hard, and that is why there have been few truly revolutionary advancements in the field in the last 100 years.

That said, what you are trying to accomplish with this device (preventing firing when holstered, while allowing immediate fire when un-holstered) has already been accomplished with much less-obtrusive and more elegant inventions such as the firing-pin safety and the Glock "Safe-Action" trigger, among other things.

Don't let this experience get you down. Use it as a jumping board to learn more about firearms, how they work, and how they are utilized, and maybe one day you will bring an invention to the table that is viable and changes the market.

Last edited by Fishbed77; May 16, 2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 16, 2019, 04:44 PM   #47
Cheapshooter

Guns don't fire "involuntary" in a holster. Someone, or some thing has to pull the trigger. Which means it was in a poor quality, improper,or damaged holster. Or the shooter had their finger where it didn't belong.
Basic safe and proper gun handeling.

Much simpler eliminated by carrying a modern designed striker fired gun, or DAO hammer fired with no manual safety to mess with.
Still completely safe if basic firearms safety practices are followed.

Guns are 100% safe when basic gun safety practices are followed!

Your invention encourages complacency, and disregard for basic safe gun handling principles!

Not safe.
Open to involuntary fire now

Again, first of all "forgetting" there a round in the chamber is completely unacceptable. Secondly, even if it is forgotten safe gun handling practices negate a negligent discharge.
Guns do not fire "involuntary". They fire when some outside force pulls the trigger. Which once more is directly related to basic gun safety.

Do you see a common thread here? Seems your invention is intended to circumvent basic gun safety rules, which I am beginning to wonder if you have ever been taught. By replacing them with a mechanical device, susceptible like all mechanical devices to failure. Making a firearm idiot proof. Which is the last thing needed in the firearms industry.
Old May 16, 2019, 06:18 PM   #48
Aguila Blanca
Staff

FWIW, George does not appear to be located in the United States. I'm going to say probably Europe, and I'll make a wild guess and say Turkey. If I am correct, he is probably not conversant with the way we teach firearms safety in the United States, and he may not even understand that a proper carry holster always covers the trigger to prevent activation.
Old May 16, 2019, 06:56 PM   #49
precision_shooter

Quote:
FWIW, George does not appear to be located in the United States. I'm going to say probably Europe, and I'll make a wild guess and say Turkey. If I am correct, he is probably not conversant with the way we teach firearms safety in the United States, and he may not even understand that a proper carry holster always covers the trigger to prevent activation.
If so, and he didn’t mention that then he deserves all the backlash and criticism received. If asking for feedback, he should make it known where he is located and give some info on the gun culture/training where he is. Coming on a US website and asking for feedback will get you feedback from US shooters and the US gun culture.
Old May 16, 2019, 07:19 PM   #50
precision_shooter

Now he posted about a thumb activated external grip safety for pump, lever, and auto shotguns... in the rifle forum.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=602126
Closed Thread