The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 23, 2019, 09:48 AM   #26
American Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 21, 2018
Posts: 218
I've used +P in the LCP and P3AT. I was just letting him know he needs to check his manuals, if anything just to know what they say about using +P. One of them said not to use it at all while the other shouldn't get a steady diet. I just shoot standard power nowadays so I forgot which is which.
American Man is offline  
Old December 23, 2019, 11:01 AM   #27
Cheapshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,053
Quote:
I've used +P in the LCP and P3AT. I was just letting him know he needs to check his manuals, if anything just to know what they say about using +P. One of them said not to use it at all while the other shouldn't get a steady diet. I just shoot standard power nowadays so I forgot which is which
Ruger says do not use +P in red, bold print in the LCP manual
I think Kel-Tec says it's OK
For the OP's Beretta, don't know. But as stated earlier....Why?
Standard pressure ammo is going to do anything as well as hyped up falsly titled +p.
__________________
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Cheapshooter is offline  
Old December 23, 2019, 11:44 AM   #28
Geezerbiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 20, 2011
Location: Willamina, OR
Posts: 1,184
IS Corbon still around? They used to make pretty hot ammo in most pistol cartridges. I remember buying some in .380 but that was a long time ago...

Tony
Geezerbiker is offline  
Old December 23, 2019, 02:58 PM   #29
TruthTellers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2016
Posts: 3,027
If you want the highest velocity, I'd look at the Inceptor ammo that shoots a 60 grain bullet at 1200 fps.
__________________
Any good revolver > Any good semi auto

"We always think there's gonna be more time... then it runs out."
TruthTellers is offline  
Old December 26, 2019, 10:29 AM   #30
rodfac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 22, 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,127
Quote:
I'll start the response thread with Buffalo Bore's +P traveling at 1150 fps.
Holy cow! What length bbl. were they using for that velocity....and at what pressures? I've run some pretty hot handloads through my S&W Bodyguard380 and have yet to see 900+fps wink out on my chronograph.

It's my opinion that all ammunition manufacturers publish VERY optimistic muzzle velocities for their ammunition...and that covers all calibers too.

YMMv Rod
__________________
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. We owe them and our children, the best that we can do.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
rodfac is offline  
Old December 26, 2019, 10:42 AM   #31
wild cat mccane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 1,545
Corbon was bought by the Freedom Group (Remington). Corbon stock seems to come and go. Barnes (also Freedom Group bought) was/is the bullet in Corbon. Barnes is Freedom's big bullet name.

Corbon 80gr in 380 was the gold standard back in the day when it was just the P3AT.


Bullet is more important, not just in 380. Since the Hornady XTP was designed to penetrate more than expand. Hornady (maker of the XTP) states it's made with "controlled expansion." That is different than Federal/CCI (Vista Outdoors owns both) HST or Gold Dot which is set total expansion.

XTP seems to be a good bullet in 380. It expands to XTP's maximum expansion point and hits 12" in the 380 without high +P pressure.
wild cat mccane is online now  
Old December 26, 2019, 01:13 PM   #32
stinkeypete
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 378
While I agree with most of what CheapShooter has said, my Berra Thunder is remarkably accurate with a surprisingly good trigger. While it’s not a bullseye gun, I could shoot it at Club League and not be close to last place.

I’m still working on perfecting a load, but the Winchester bullets are decided on.
stinkeypete is offline  
Old December 26, 2019, 01:39 PM   #33
TBM900
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2015
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP-44 View Post
Thanks!!
I can "second" both S&B & Prvi Partisan

I carry PPU ball in the 380EZ and get excellent penetration
No need to waste money on boutique HP's as they simply do not penetrate far enough if they open
Penetration is far more important than expansion*











* (yes I said it... que the haters)
__________________
Queen of England
Retired Colonial Marine
14th Earl to walk on the moon
TBM900 is offline  
Old December 26, 2019, 02:32 PM   #34
Cheapshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,053
Quote:
Penetration is far more important than expansion
Penetration is just one part of the equation.
Shot placement being the most critical.
Penetration without hitting "important stuff" can be much less effective than lesser penetration, but tearing up some goodies.
__________________
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Cheapshooter is offline  
Old December 26, 2019, 02:49 PM   #35
TBM900
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2015
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Penetration is just one part of the equation.
Shot placement being the most critical.
Penetration without hitting "important stuff" can be much less effective than lesser penetration, but tearing up some goodies.
Cleary you've never seen my "3 P's" mantra

Practice
Placement
Penetration



In typical self-defense scenarios
Using common service caliber handguns
The 3 P's trump all of the common arguments
__________________
Queen of England
Retired Colonial Marine
14th Earl to walk on the moon
TBM900 is offline  
Old December 26, 2019, 09:23 PM   #36
wild cat mccane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 1,545
FMJ 380 really shouldn't perform worse than 9mm FMJ.

Indeed, gel tests show in the 20s".



I don't think anyone would recommend 9mm doing that.
Myself, I wouldn't say 380 FMJ is the way to go based on that.
wild cat mccane is online now  
Old December 26, 2019, 09:29 PM   #37
zoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 2, 2019
Posts: 133
Close up, .380 should do whatever you need keeping in mind the limitations of a light pistol load.
zoo is offline  
Old December 27, 2019, 12:42 PM   #38
gbclarkson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 4, 2014
Location: None of yer business, sonny
Posts: 344
Quote:
I'll start the response thread with Buffalo Bore's +P traveling at 1150 fps.
Quote:
Holy cow! What length bbl. were they using for that velocity....and at what pressures? I've run some pretty hot handloads through my S&W Bodyguard380 and have yet to see 900+fps wink out on my chronograph.
According to Buffalo Bore's website:

"Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action)."

"➤ 1,160 fps -- BDA 3.75-inch barrel
➤ 1,149 fps -- Walther PPK 3.5-inch barrel
➤ 1,072 fps -- Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel
➤ 1,061 fps -- Keltec"
gbclarkson is offline  
Old December 27, 2019, 01:05 PM   #39
Cheapshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,053
Quote:
Cleary you've never seen my "3 P's" mantra

Practice
Placement
Penetration



In typical self-defense scenarios
Using common service caliber handguns
The 3 P's trump all of the common arguments
Except for the fact that an assailant isn't going to be a piece of paper, stapled to a stationary stand. More likely a moving, jumping, running, slashing, stabbing, kicking, grabbing target.
That's when Murphy's law trumps all the training you have under your belt.
Not to say that practice isn't needed, or helpfull. But in the final result, luck has almost as much to do with hitting that tiny area of the spine that will immediately incapacitate a human as all the practice, and training.
Without that perfect hit to the CNS you are then hoping for one of the less sure ways that a human is incapacitated. Physical pain from being shot. In which a more destructive item passing through tissue would be helpful. Or mental shock from the fact they have been shot. Again, more tissue damage than a small hole poked through could be helpful. But maybe not. Mental shock, fainting, can be seriously effected by state of mind, adrenalin, or drugs.
__________________
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Cheapshooter is offline  
Old December 27, 2019, 01:08 PM   #40
TBM900
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2015
Posts: 533
What is the point of the extra recoil, blast, flash, pressure, and cost needed to get an extra 100-200fps out of 380 ball, when a standard pressure ball will easily fully penetrate the torso of a fully clothed adult.

Take the extra cost and apply it to simply shooting more and that practice will trump any perceived advantage of the expensive boutique cartridge.

Practice
Placement
Penetration
__________________
Queen of England
Retired Colonial Marine
14th Earl to walk on the moon
TBM900 is offline  
Old December 27, 2019, 01:47 PM   #41
TBM900
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2015
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Except for the fact that an assailant isn't going to be a piece of paper, stapled to a stationary stand.
Except for the fact that...
Cite where I said a word about any such thing, one way or the other...

Quote:
More likely a moving, jumping, running, slashing, stabbing, kicking, grabbing target.
That's when Murphy's law trumps all the training you have under your belt.
Not to say that practice isn't needed, or helpfull. But in the final result, luck has almost as much to do with hitting that tiny area of the spine that will immediately incapacitate a human as all the practice, and training.
Without that perfect hit to the CNS you are then hoping for one of the less sure ways that a human is incapacitated. Physical pain from being shot. In which a more destructive item passing through tissue would be helpful. Or mental shock from the fact they have been shot. Again, more tissue damage than a small hole poked through could be helpful. But maybe not. Mental shock, fainting, can be seriously effected by state of mind, adrenalin, or drugs.
I have literally no clue what you are trying to say as it relates to my statement, all I see is a whole bunch of random non sequitur. Feel free to explain how any of that in any way even relates to my statement, let alone negates it, I'm all ears....
__________________
Queen of England
Retired Colonial Marine
14th Earl to walk on the moon
TBM900 is offline  
Old December 27, 2019, 02:20 PM   #42
cjwils
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 28, 2010
Location: Washington state
Posts: 365
I think the more important question is not which ammo is hottest, but which ammo never jams in your gun
cjwils is offline  
Old December 27, 2019, 03:18 PM   #43
MP-44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 1, 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 349
I just asked a simple question and you would think I asked about the meaning of life
MP-44 is offline  
Old December 27, 2019, 10:57 PM   #44
wild cat mccane
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2011
Posts: 1,545
380 FMJ goes 18-22"

The hottest "+P" 380 FMJ goes 18-22"

Look for a +P in Underwood or BB.

Just know you're not getting what you think you are out of it.
wild cat mccane is online now  
Old December 28, 2019, 10:02 AM   #45
SHR970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 24, 2011
Posts: 1,220
MP-44 is using a Beretta 80 series 380. They are rated for CIP spec. ammo. CIP 380 ammo is beyond what SAAMI would call +P by a bit. MP-44's decision to run ball is his alone. That said, Euro Ball ammo will almost certainly run flawlessly in his gun.
SHR970 is offline  
Old December 28, 2019, 10:57 AM   #46
Cheapshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,053
Quote:
I have literally no clue what you are trying to say as it relates to my statement, all I see is a whole bunch of random non sequitur. Feel free to explain how any of that in any way even relates to my statement, let alone negates it, I'm all ears....
Quote:
Take the extra cost and apply it to simply shooting more and that practice will trump any perceived advantage of the expensive boutique cartridge.

Practice
Placement
Penetration
Because that practice, and perfect placement is on a paper target, stuck to a stationary stand.
I guess if you can talk that bag guy coming after you to stand there like a papervtarget, you'll be guaranteed that perfect placement. Otherwise it's as much luck as it is proficiency.
When that perfect placement isn't achieved, a bullet with more potential to do tissue damage can help in stopping an attack.
__________________
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Cheapshooter is offline  
Old December 28, 2019, 12:56 PM   #47
MP-44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 1, 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 349
LOL. My next thread is going to be how accurate can a .380 be so I can get no answer to my question but a lot of replies telling me it's not a target pistol caliber
MP-44 is offline  
Old December 28, 2019, 02:13 PM   #48
Cheapshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,053
As accurate as the shooter.
It's not so much the round. More to do with the guns it's chambered in. Generally small, self defense oriented "pocket" pistols.
__________________
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Cheapshooter is offline  
Old December 28, 2019, 03:33 PM   #49
MP-44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 1, 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 349
https://youtu.be/MxtN0xxzfsw
MP-44 is offline  
Old December 28, 2019, 03:40 PM   #50
stinkeypete
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 378
Answer: check out Maxxtech, then Gecko for “hottest fmj loads”
Riff no.1: load your own and know what you are getting
Riff no.2: ... if the goal is “hot”, that’s why they make 9mm
Riff no.3: once you have overpenetrated, why overpenetrate more?
Riff no.4: in purchased ammo, I like Aguila for cheap/good and Winchester white box for irritatingly excellent accurate in my Bersa and it’s got a stouter kick and it hurts to pay twice as much as the Aguilla but it really groups well. I shoot at paper. Still working up hand loads.
stinkeypete is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.10880 seconds with 8 queries