The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 13, 2020, 08:29 AM   #1
dufous

K-frame grips for big hands

After 40 years of shooting exclusively semiautomatics I cast caution to the winds and bought a S&W Model 66.. Problem -- big hands and long arthritic fingers that are taking a beating from the trigger guard. I tried both Hogue and Pachmayr rubber stocks but they just don't fill in the space behind the guard. Any suggestions?
Old January 13, 2020, 10:34 AM   #2
357 Python

You say you have big hands right? Have you tried S&W K-frame target grips? They are large and fill that area pretty well. They are also plentiful on the used market. Check Ebay for them.
Old January 13, 2020, 10:36 AM   #3
357 Python

Forgot to add is your 66 a square butt or round butt? The target grips I have seen have been square butts but they do make them for the round butts as well.
Old January 13, 2020, 10:50 AM   #4
BillM

Another vote for the factory S&W grips. Or you could try old school---
Tyler T-grip adapters are still being made.

Old January 13, 2020, 12:05 PM   #5
lee n. field

https://www.t-grips.com/

http://bkgrips.com/
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 13, 2020, 02:12 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...K-frame target grips..." Those don't put more space between the trigger guard and one's finger.
Keeping in mind that 'K' frames aren't made for big hands and chasing grips gets really expensive these days, try Herrett's Jordan Trooper. Cheap, they ain't though. Where you are matters just because you really need to try 'em before buying. $122.50 for the Jordans.
http://www.herrettstocks.com/index-2.html
It was the other way for me. Had a 19 I never did get to fit my hand right.
1,000px is too big.
Old January 13, 2020, 02:29 PM   #7
ammo.crafter

Big K

Ebay listing today

Smith and Wesson K Frame factory vintage target wood grips S&W square butt...
$149.99

Alternately, try a custom grip maker explaning your issues.
Old January 13, 2020, 02:57 PM   #8
SIGSHR

Perhaps a set of Jordans ?
Old January 13, 2020, 05:00 PM   #9
Paul105

If it is a round butt, then the Hogue 500 X Frame Tamers should work. This is the grip used on the S&W 500 and it has a covered back strap. Here's a link

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-gri...wesson/xzframe

Here's a picture mounted on my 66-8 round butt.

If those don't work, you'll probably have to go custom -- Herrett Jordan Troupers maybe.

Paul
Old January 14, 2020, 09:10 AM   #10
rodfac

In the pic in the previous post, note the intersection of the trigger guard and the grip's support for the 2nd finger. The grip blends in with the rear of the trigger guard and prevents knuckle rap. It's the fix you're looking for if it's knuckle rap you're having trouble with.

Smith and Wesson K Frame factory vintage target wood grips will do nothing to prevent knuckle rap...as they intersect too far up the frame, creating a 90 degree angle between the rear of the trigger guard and the grip, which is perfect for hammering your 2nd finger.

Eagle & Altamont offer good looking grips that may work out for you. Both, to me, are smaller than the Smith Target Grips of current and long ago make, but do offer a grip/trigger guard radius that helps with knuckle rap...with really big hands however, either may be smaller than what you need.

Those X-frame Tamer types, for a "K" framed, M66, would be my #1 choice....fugly, but a good shooting grip! Be sure to check if you've got a round butt or a square butt before ordering. Current S&W production is all round butt to my knowledge in their revamped M66.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. We owe them and our children, the best that we can do.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73

Last edited by rodfac; January 14, 2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old January 14, 2020, 06:37 PM   #11
gwpercle

If you truly have large hands...palming a basketball size , then check out Herrett's Bill Jordan Trooper Stocks . Get an order form and trace you hand on it...Herrett's will custom make the grips for your hand...no better fit can be had .
Herrett's calls them "stocks" , others call them grips but they do a great job.
Gary
Old January 15, 2020, 12:40 PM   #12
RickB

Herrett's does, or did, make a set that covered the backstrap rather than the front, to move the hand away from the trigger guard.
Old January 15, 2020, 03:18 PM   #13
jglsprings

Not so great for concealed carry... but much easier to shoot...

Wish I could remember where I got them...

Commas save lives...
Old January 21, 2020, 11:03 PM   #14
dufous

thanks for the advice

The Hogue Frame Tamers (thanks Paul)
proved to be perfect. I bought them at Amazon (for easy returns) for only $29. Comfortable to shoot and position my hand perfectly.
Old January 22, 2020, 08:52 PM   #15
Paul105

Glad they worked out for you. Good shooting.

Paul
Old January 22, 2020, 11:32 PM   #16
Ibmikey

Altamont currently makes grips for S&W, I have their target grip on one of my older 66’s and it is quite comfortable. They run about $60 bucks.
Old January 23, 2020, 06:27 AM   #17
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufous View Post
The Hogue Frame Tamers (thanks Paul)
proved to be perfect. I bought them at Amazon (for easy returns) for only $29. Comfortable to shoot and position my hand perfectly.
I have large hands too and I've been very pleased with Hogue grips. I have them on both of my S&W revolvers and my M1911.

The only handgun I have that Hogue grips didn't make better is my Ruger Super Blackhawk. They didn't work for me at all on this revolver.

Tony
Old February 1, 2020, 01:08 AM   #18
zoo

Can't help but wonder if the S&W "coke bottle" style stocks from the fifties and sixties wouldn't have worked better with your huge paws.

Altamont still makes a version they claim to be true to the originals. I put a set on my S&W model 15 and although I don't possess huge monkey hands I like them a lot.

On the other hand, I have some pachmeyers (without those horrible finger grooves) from decades ago on my 586 (L frame although K frame grips fit them fine as well) and I like them quite a lot too.