The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 12, 2019, 02:58 PM   #26
jimbob86

Quote:
There isn't a huge gap in shootability between an 8lb FWT rifle with optics and a 10lb Super Grade in .30-06. However, there is a huge difference in the way they handle the FWT will come up faster, point easier, and track the target better. A person can learn to shoot a light rifle with more than acceptable accuracy from the bench and field positions. However, you can't make a heavy rifle handle any better in hunting situations unless you lighten it up.
Given the limited amount of trigger time I have in a given year, I spend as much of it as possible with one rifle ..... when it comes to crunch time, your rifle should be as familiar to you as your own hands, or as close as possible.

Quote:
However, you can't make a heavy rifle handle any better in hunting situations unless you lighten it up.
"Heavy" is subjective. If you are used to handling a 10 pound rig, it ain't heavy.
Old December 12, 2019, 04:40 PM   #27
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
"Heavy" is subjective. If you are used to handling a 10 pound rig, it ain't heavy.
Heavy isn't subjective, if you're used to a 10lb rifle a 8lb rifle is lighter and handles faster. If you can handle a 10lb rifle why can't you enjoy an 8lb rifle?
Old December 12, 2019, 04:43 PM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
Heavy isn't subjective, if you're used to a 10lb rifle a 8lb rifle is lighter and handles faster. If you can handle a 10lb rifle why can't you enjoy an 8lb rifle?
Because the 10 pound one is the one my hands are familiar with.
Old December 12, 2019, 05:01 PM   #29
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
8 is nice.
Old December 12, 2019, 07:01 PM   #30
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
Because the 10 pound one is the one my hands are familiar with.
Now you're just being cantankerous! There is nothing wrong with using a rifle you're familiar with. I just choose to be a little more open with my thinking towards rifle weights.
Old December 12, 2019, 07:08 PM   #31
skywag

Go to:https://www.gunsinternational.com/

and type in "pre 64 model 70 custom"
Old December 12, 2019, 09:10 PM   #32
Pathfinder45

I don't know how anyone can feel pride of ownership in a plastic stocked rifle; or sports cars either, for that matter.... But that's just my view.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:23 PM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
I just choose to be a little more open with my thinking towards rifle weights.
I am open with all my opinions ..... there are places for light rifles ...... and someone that has near unlimited time and money to shoot many rifles might have the the liberty to have one for each purpose or day of the week ...... but I have found that I, (and the vast majority of people) don't have enough time and money to become familiar enough with just one rifle, let alone "a battery of rifles" ...... add in the time taken to set up rifles and loads for my kids and nephews, and help them in their shooting and hunting ..... there just ain't enough time .... Don't get me wrong, I have a safe full of rifles (most are Military surplus relics) ..... but only hunt with one anymore.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:28 PM   #34
jimbob86

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can feel pride of ownership in a plastic stocked rifle
While "pretty is as pretty does" makes sense to me, I won't be putting a plastic stock on mine, even knowing it would probably make it more inherently accurate, and make the cheek riser unnecessary ..... I love that old piece of walnut and steel ..... it's familiar.
Old December 13, 2019, 05:42 AM   #35
Tony Z

At 67, I'm firmly in the walnut (satin/oiled) and blued (deep, high gloss) styling. But, I've gotten a few laminated stocked, matte-blued rifles, and a couple of "plastic" stocked, "painted" barreled rifles.

Though I much prefer the former, I don't rule out the latter! They shoot! (well, unless you squeeze the buffalo so tightly, that the firearm is one that should be turned in for more than you paid for it!).
Old December 13, 2019, 02:24 PM   #36
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
While "pretty is as pretty does" makes sense to me, I won't be putting a plastic stock on mine, even knowing it would probably make it more inherently accurate, and make the cheek riser unnecessary ..... I love that old piece of walnut and steel ..... it's familiar.
I cant enjoy pretty rifles. I relegate them to safe queens and wall hangers.
Old December 14, 2019, 01:35 PM   #37
Picher

I've looked at Model 70's many times and though I've shot well with them, I could never bring myself to buy one. I don't care for the "controlled round feed" because I shoot from the bench a lot and it's a pain.

Although Remington 700s have been subject to trigger recalls, I really like the action and after doing a pillar-bedding job on them, they do what I want them to do and don't weigh a ton. Triggers have always been better to adjust than Winchester's and the lock-time seems faster. Since the great Rem. trigger controversy, about all my 700s have Timneys and they are the "cats meow"!!! That said, some close friends have had great success with their Winchester Featherweights.
Old December 14, 2019, 01:48 PM   #38
T. O'Heir

1,200px is too big.
"...read a lot of Jack O’Connor stuff and it clearly influenced him..." Capstick has that effect too. It's his fault I have a desperate need for a double rifle. Doesn't have to be a .470 Capstick though.
"...the super grade..." That one if your budget allows it. Neither is ever going to be a collector piece, but if you're spending a pile of money anyway, it might as well be on the higher end rifle. Difference in MSRP is about $400. It should probably be a .270 Win as well.
Old December 14, 2019, 03:33 PM   #39
RaySendero

Wife and I were going into the store.
Asked her if we needed a cart;
She said no, wanted a few things.
So we go thru the produce section and she picks up a 10# bag of potatoes.
I offered to carry it - She said no, she had it.
We finished shopped for 25 mins.
she never put that bag of potatoes down till we get to the check out stand.
I asked her if it had gotten heavier - She said no.

So if a 115# older lady can carry 10# without it "getting heavy", I can too!!!
Old December 20, 2019, 10:54 PM   #40
jrothWA

May I muddy the waters??
Locate a Sears "Ted Williams Model U73", it a contract M70 made for SEARs.
Mostly is 3006, some in .270W.
but a true M70 with a Maple stock. Think of it as a M670 /M770.
You can swap barrels to different calibers as the 06 case head is common to the .243 7-08 rounds.
Old December 31, 2019, 10:13 PM   #41
gw44

I have three model 70 Winchesters two pre-64 and one 1976 xtr they are all great rifles they will all give me 1" groups at 100yds they are 270win-257Roberts-30-06Rem !!!
Old January 1, 2020, 06:46 AM   #42
fourbore

I have one of the recent deluxe featherweight 30-06. I forget the exact wording on the floor plate. It is heavier than my earlier push feed featherweight. All steel. I have this strictly for shooting at the club and for the fancy walnut and hi-grade blue. Contrary to other views this an heirloom gun and IMHO a fine choice for so-called pride of ownership. We can nit pick the words but people should understand the phrase without making an argument. If those are not the right words then tell me how I am supposed to say that and not have to read a post about how a person can be proud of any old beater. We are simply trying to communicate here.

Hunting is a whole different story and if a person is really serious he should be looking beyond the old war horse. With out getting into those choices, I did recently see a really excellent woods rifle in a model 70. This was a push feed era Carbine. That had a thin 20" barrel and had look and feel of birch. I absolutely have no need for another 'deer' rifle and yet almost purchased this one. The gun did look good compared to what most companies offer today. I bet if reintroduced these would sell today. I dont think this should be hard to locate another one if someone was determined to carry a M70 all day long hunting.

I think the best gun is infinitely more important than nit picking caliber choices. You could take one of these carbines in any caliber and be fine.

I know the OP wants something a little higher grade than this carbine and has got some good advise on the featherweight vs anything heavier for hunting. I'll toss the old carbine in the mix- FWIW.
Old January 1, 2020, 07:09 AM   #43
fourbore

Ok, I found an M70 carbine in what appears to be a better grade of wood than I remember. The perspective on the photo is misleading. The barrel is short. The description says 1980's M70 carbine in 243 with 20" barrel. Also mentions the gun is very light. Not expensive either. A lot less than any comparable new gun. It may not sound manly but a 243 will kill deer size game all day long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M70_carbine.jpg (57.3 KB, 13 views)
Old January 1, 2020, 12:57 PM   #44
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Don't have one. (70} All my Rem bolt rifles are shooters nothing intended to bequeath in new or lightly used condition to others. Overtime they too may do the same with such antiquated tool and that is a "Shame on them!!" My rifles are to shoot and make use of ~ not to admire hanging on a wall a century later.

Staying on subject:
Those bolt rifles I have are all light-weight versions. All have wimpy skinny barrel's and all target surprisingly well. If you're a weekend bench rest shooter? buy a Super Grade. If you're a woodsy liking hunter individual? You'll appreciate in time how sweet it is to tote a lightweight by days end.
Tip: You're paying the freight on that new rifle. "Buy something practical for you." Not some other.
Old January 2, 2020, 03:59 PM   #45
agtman

Quote:
I have a couple of South Carolina made M70's, one a super grade in 30-06 * * * The super weighs in at 9 lbs, 3 oz scoped.
Good gawd, man. I've got a couple of M1 Garands that weigh less than that.

Quote:
In carrying the rifles, there is a very noticeable difference in weight between the super grade and the featherweights.
No doubt.