The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2022, 04:48 PM   #1
Skarekrow88

"Saiga 12" Pattern Magazines

Recently picked up a SDS Imports Lynx 12 that came with a 5rd box magazine that is kind of junky. It functions but I dont know how long its going to hold up. First range session the metal feed lips that are clamped on to the body tried to come off. I have to pop them back into place after every reload. Dad has a Kalashnikov USA KS-12T that came with a seemingly solid 10rd magazine but the feed lip design is the same as the 5rd my Lynx-12 came with so I'm thinking it might be susceptible to having the same issue.

I'm looking to acquire us some better magazines and decided that the CSSPECS all metal magazines would be a good option but they arent in stock anywhere. Also dad wants a drum but I'm only seeing SGM Tactical and Promags which I've read and heard mixed things about. Does anybody have any recommendations on solid box and/or drum magazines for the platform?
Old January 1, 2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Mike38

The SGM mags for my Saiga 223 have worked flawlessly for many years. They do not have steel feed lips as you describe, but maybe that's required on the shotgun version.
Old January 1, 2022, 10:36 PM   #3
Skarekrow88

I dont believe the Saiga 12 SGM mags have steel reinforcements or feed lips, or at least they dont appear to. I'm sure they're reliable enough as I've read but I wonder how well they hold up or if they could be relied on for more than range duty. If your 223 mags have lasted you years though then thats a good sign.

Thanks for the reply.
Old January 2, 2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Butzbach

I have an IZHMASH and a Lynx. Promag 12 drums are good to go (I have 4). Promag 20s are not. MD Arms 20 drums are good to go. I have one. I bought 4 SGM 8 rounders but have not function checked them yet. They have no metal feed lips. Good luck with your shopping and shooting.
Old January 3, 2022, 07:38 AM   #5
Skarekrow88

Quote:
Promag 12 drums are good to go…Promag 20s are not.
That’s pretty much the consensus in what I’ve read and watched so far. Thanks

Quote:
MD Arms 20 drums are good to go.
Can’t find these in stock anywhere. I don’t believe they’re being made anymore.

Quote:
I bought 4 SGM 8 rounders
I guess I’m just going to buy some of these, maybe a 10rd and 12rd too. Where did you get yours?
Old January 3, 2022, 11:06 AM   #6
Butzbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrow88 View Post
That’s pretty much the consensus in what I’ve read and watched so far. Thanks

Can’t find these in stock anywhere. I don’t believe they’re being made anymore.

I guess I’m just going to buy some of these, maybe a 10rd and 12rd too. Where did you get yours?
MD Arms 20 drum mags come up on gun broker from time to time. You are correct, they are no longer being manufactured.

I bought my 8 rd SGMs here: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/sgm-tact...ssgmp1208.html