The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2011, 11:50 PM   #1
whitewolf08

winchester 1897

Hello looking for some possible help on a winchester 1897 i purchased today i purchased it solely as a shooter due to the fact that it has mismatched serial #'s the reciever serial number traces to 1904 whereas the number on the takedown extension traces to 1905 yet the barrel has a last patent date of 1910 does this mean that the barrel is newer than the rest of the gun i would imagine that a barrel made in 1905 wouldn't possibly have a 1910 patent date so im guessing the barrel was probably replaced either way i could care less what the gun is worth just interested in whether or not i may have the most cobbled up 1897 in history. Thanks in advance for any help. one more thing the barrel has the W over P in an oval proof mark but ive been unable to find out if this means the barrel was factory installed originally or if it was ordered later by a gunsmith and installed

Last edited by whitewolf08; March 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old March 5, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2
macsters

there is only one thing i know about them. if you have an original action, do not, i repeat, DO NOT use hot 2 3/4 loads.
Old March 5, 2011, 12:42 AM   #3
hickstick_10

WP means "Winchester proof".

While I'm not usually a grammar and spelling nazi (I'm guilty of it enough myself), your post is nearly impossible to read. Consider adding periods, apostrophes and paragraphs.
Old March 5, 2011, 01:02 AM   #4
HiBC

I think lot of 97's ended up basket cases.They are complex to assemble/disassemble,and as they get old,maybe 40 years of crud makes them not work so well.Before cowboy action shooting,for many folks they were an old shotgun that was not worth much attention.
With the demand created by cowboy shooting,plus his fondness for the '97,a buddy of mine has resurrected a lot of "semi-complete cigar box '97 receivers"
He knows how to make a good '97 out of parts,and he had,or made,a lot of parts.I would consider one of his resurrections to be a better shooter than many of the 80.90,100 year old ones that just have honest wear in original condition.
Don't let the family tree on it bother you much,if it works good.