The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1
The Kid

Plastic Ring Mount Replacements?

So I've got this Ruger 10/22. Nothing special, just your typical Ruger 10/22 with a Simmons .22 Mag 3-9 32x. It was given to me probably about 13 Christmases ago by my father. Any way, I've gotten a little more serious about shooting, and I just noticed that it has plastic ringmounts

I'm thinking if I want this rifle to be accurate enough to hunt squirrels effectively, these have gots to go? Am I right?

If so, what can you guys recommend to replace them?

Thank you for your help.
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf." -- Leader of a group of horsemen to the kid and Sproule in Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Old September 13, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
zoomie

I've got a DNZ Game Reaper on mine and I like it a lot. Super easy to mount and very sturdy.

PM sent.
Old September 13, 2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

I put the Kwik-Site see-thru rings on mine so I can use both scope and iron sights. Sometimes with a .22 I just don't want/need a scope, so I like having both options.
Old September 13, 2009, 07:28 PM   #4
LHB1

Quote: "I put the Kwik-Site see-thru rings on mine so I can use both scope and iron sights. Sometimes with a .22 I just don't want/need a scope, so I like having both options. "

Be aware that see-thru rings force the scope to be mounted higher and thus it is more difficult to get a good cheek weld and find the sight line of scope. It also increases the distance between barrel/bore line and scope sight line which can cause problems at closer ranges. Some people like them and some don't. It helps if you can try a gun with them before buying a set or else be prepared to throw them away if you don't like them. With all due respect to Dr. Strangelove, I can't stand the things.
Old September 13, 2009, 07:45 PM   #5
The Kid

I'm not going to worry about the see through rings...It'd make it impossible to fit my rifle into my case
"When the lambs is lost in the mountain, he said. They is cry. Sometime come the mother. Sometime the wolf." -- Leader of a group of horsemen to the kid and Sproule in Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Old September 13, 2009, 08:04 PM   #6
sholling

You can buy a factory replacement combination 22/Weaver mount for your 10/22 for about $10 and a set of 1" steel rings from Walmart ren $12-20 and will be fine. I wouldn't spend more unless you plan to buy a good scope.
Old September 13, 2009, 08:23 PM   #7
The Kid

Hah! I didn't know my scope was a "bad" scope? What makes it "not good?"
Old September 13, 2009, 09:10 PM   #8
sholling

The low cost end of Simmons' product line doesn't have a great reputation for quality. If you're happy with it then it's good enough, but don't mistake it for a Weaver or Leupold rimfire scope. Those are what I mean by good scopes. But my actual point was I wouldn't put a $60 set of rings on a $50 scope.
Old September 13, 2009, 09:25 PM   #9
The Kid

Yeah, I understand that these scopes are better, but is that only in relation to the optics...obviously higher optics are going to yield a more clear field of view, but what about the accuracy of the scopes? Can you comment on this?
Old September 13, 2009, 10:10 PM   #10
sholling

Your Simmons will probably be fine. The things most likely to go wrong with a low cost scope are losing zero, probably not going to be a problem, and tracking. A shift in the point of impact as you zoom the scope. For now I wouldn't worry about it. See how well it works. Realistically a stock 10/22 using bulk pack ammo is capable of 2" groups at 50yds. That's not counting the occasional flier. That's plenty good enough for what you want to do with it. 22s are very picky about ammo and each individual barrel will have a favorite. Try a few good brands like CCI Minimag and see what yours likes best and you'll tighen that up some. FWIW I'm a huge 10/22 fan so don't take those expectations as a slight. I only own 6 custom 10/22s.
Old September 13, 2009, 10:18 PM   #11
The Kid

Thanks Sholling,

Yeah, I honestly just need to go out and shoot it and see what it can do.

Do you have any pictures of your customs?
Old September 14, 2009, 10:01 AM   #12
sholling

Actually I forgot 1 so 7 but one is a factory custom. Anyway I don't have pictures of all but here are some of them.

Old September 14, 2009, 10:03 PM   #13
The Kid

That first one is just down right sexxy

what kind of groupings do you get w/ that bad boy? Also, what kind of scope is that?
Old September 15, 2009, 02:16 AM   #14
sholling

The 1st one is a limited production factory custom called a USST-2 and it's actually the least accurate in my collection. The scope is a Mueller Eradicator and not a bad scope but I like Weaver's V-series a lot better. Numbers 2 & 3 have Weavers, number 4 is being rebuilt into a benchrest rifle and will eventually get a Weaver V24.

This is 10rds from number 3 at 50m. The rifle can do better but the shooter still needs work.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:52 AM   #15
gotorightway123

hi
i just put the Kwik-Site see-thru rings on mine so I can use both scope and iron sights. Sometimes with a .22 I just don't want/need a scope, so I like having both options.
Old September 15, 2009, 04:36 AM   #16
rbb50

I have never put a scope on a 22 rifle I have ever owned in my entire life

Once when I was ten years old I was plinking away at a target at 25 yards at a rifle range in my home town

I could see I just had a few more shots before the white was all gone out of the center of the bull’s-eye

My dad had gone to the car to get the cooler so we could have something to drink

Some old man approached where I was shooting and as I was taking a break and he grabbed my arm and raised it then shouted WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

I was like HUHHH????

My dad came back and ask what was going on

The guy thought I was shooting in the junior competition that day and had just showed him the winning target LOL

As I looked down the line where all the other junior competitors were I wondered how that could be when they had all of them fancy 22 rifles some of which had fancy scopes on them

Told my dad and that guy it could be them scopes were getting in the way of them seeing the target and they had a good laugh about it all.

Of course the shooting club wanted me to join the competitions and I declined knowing I would never have time to do that and my regular chores along with it would cost money to get into those things

Last time I shot my Remington target master at 100 yards I could hit a little 2 inch square every shot in a 10mph cross wind and a friend shooting it also could do the same with much surprise he said as to how accurate it is

Why even spend money to put a scope on it when it will do that and even better with no wind I have to surmise.

Some people get them fancy dandy expensive 22s with the best scopes available on the market and I see them at the range sometimes.

Sure does seem to make them mad they spent all of that money when I sit next to them with my 1930 Remington target master in perfect condition and I can get the same groups and sometimes better groups than they do LOL

Oh well I can’t help it if I only paid $25 for that gun a long time ago LOL