The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 4, 2000, 12:58 PM   #1
mongrel66

can the gas spindle valve be used to make my rifle single shot(no ejected round), or will the pressure behind the bullet be too much?
Old February 4, 2000, 07:01 PM   #2
Mouse Gun

You should be just fine, I only use this method to check fired brass dimensions. I've never experienced any exessive pressure signs from my fired brass using this.

Mouse Gun
Old February 5, 2000, 01:39 AM   #3
Wallew

I don't have my field manual here in front of me, but with the gcv spindle turned one way (vertical I believe), the rifle functions as semi-auto. With it turned the other way (horizontal) the rifle was used to fire grenades, and it was a single shot that did not eject the casings. And those spindle turns could be reversed. Jim
Old February 5, 2000, 01:51 PM   #4
Mouse Gun

There's one important point I left out; If the gun has match accurizing mods you may not be able to turn the spindle valve and wouldn't want to force it either. In some gas cyl/front band unitizing mods the spindle valve will not turn due to screws going into the gas cyl. at or near the spindle valve. This mod keeps the front band stationary. If its not a Springfield NM or Super Match it probably doesn't have it. If te gun is used you can check by removing and looking at the front band for screws or some are welded. Bottom line, if the front band moves side to side its not NM. You get the picture. Good Luck

Mouse Gun