The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 4, 2017, 12:53 AM   #1
Metal god

Visiting Montana in mid Septermber , is there hunting there at that time ?

Good evening , first time poster in this sub forum .

Going to visit family for two weeks in September . Not sure exactly where they live but I'm flying into missoula so I assume somewhere close to that area .

Anyways , I've never hunted and have always wanted to give it a try . The fact this would be my first time means I'd like some guldens as to what to hunt . I'm a meat eater so dear or pig sounds good . I have a light weight 308 rifle to use and feel I could hit anything out to 200yds in any position except standing unsupported , that would need to be 100yds or less .

Down side is that I'm a big guy in not to good a shape . 6'3" at 275lbs and pushing fifty years old . I just can't lug this body around like I used to . I work in the construction field so I can and do move around and lift things all day every day meaning I don't have a sediment life style but at the same time I'm not in the kind of shape that could do a two or three day hike into the wilderness . I don't know maybe I could if it was not heavy terrain .

So what are the options for a chunky , kinda out of shape new hunter to hunt in Montana during the month of September ?

Also how would I go about getting a Lic or tag/s or what ever is needed ?

Thanks Metal

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 4, 2017, 01:01 AM   #2
Metal god

I was just looking at the hunting dates . I may be reading it wrong but it appears only bow hunting is aloud during the time I'll be there . can somebody confirm this ? thanks

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 4, 2017, 03:56 AM   #3
Blindstitch

That's what it means. During September if you want to hunt with a gun you're stuck with a variety of birds and prairie dogs are considered pests so you can shoot them without a license.
Old July 4, 2017, 07:01 AM   #4
Mobuck

Mostly to hunt big game you needed to apply for a non-resident license last spring.
Old July 4, 2017, 11:43 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

Prarie dogs are fun to shoot and you dont need to dress em out..leave em for the buzzards..
Old July 4, 2017, 11:54 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

You may want to look into Montana non-resident hunting licence costs. A non-resident general deer(only) licence runs $602 with just 4600 available.
You must have proof of passing a Hunter's Safety course from anywhere. Bow hunting licence requires a National Bowhunter Education Foundation course too. Or any prior year’s bow hunting/archery stamp, tag, permit, or license from any state or province.
http://fwp.mt.gov/
Missoula is in Region 2. Apparently, there is a great deal of UP in Region 2. It's not strength you need. It's stamina at altitude. And a non-resident usually requires a guide in most places. Suspect you may be too late to get any of that done before September.
Old July 4, 2017, 03:09 PM   #7
burrhead

All things considered your best bet is trout.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old July 4, 2017, 03:44 PM   #8
ZeroJunk

As of right now they have 272 surplus nonresident elk combos left.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/b...ntSurplus.html
Old July 4, 2017, 05:06 PM   #9
FITASC

Kinda silly for a flatlander who has never hunted before to suggest an expensive elk hunt. That involves mountain hunting, guides, horses, and a LOT of going up at altitude......

Grouse and partridge season opens Sept.1; otherwise trout fly dishing sounds like a great thing to do.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 4, 2017, 05:30 PM   #10
Metal god

Yep , hunting does not seem to be in the cards . How ever i've fished my whole life so trout fishing sounds like a great idea . I figure we'll take a couple of my Nice shimano reels and some gear . Then buy a couple poles at walmart when we get there . No way am i checking my nice poles onto the plane .

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited by Metal god; July 6, 2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelling OMG that was bad
Old July 6, 2017, 05:57 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
All things considered your best bet is trout.
This.

An out of state, first time hunter, I agree that fishing is a better option.