The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 31, 2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Death-Ninja

Is Colt Still Producing Pistols/Revolvers???

I'm curious if anyone has even seen a recent manufacture Colt 1911, or revolver??? By recent I mean post pandemic onset? I haven't seen any evidence they are even trying to manufacture either or, I have seen rifles popping up here and there, but nary a whisper of 1911's, or the newly revived snake guns... I am starting to seriously believe this is it for Colt, for real!
Old December 31, 2020, 06:18 PM   #2
dgludwig

Nope, just because you see Colt handguns at almost any gun store and read about them in every gun magazine and peruse them in every firearm forum doesn't mean they actually exist. The pandemic killed them all. For real.
Old December 31, 2020, 08:31 PM   #3
burrhead

I read on Twitter that Remington bought Colt then lost it in a poker game.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old December 31, 2020, 08:41 PM   #4
KyJim

I bought a new-model Colt Python not long ago---well after the pandemic began. So, they are out there.
Old December 31, 2020, 08:52 PM   #5
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death-Ninja View Post
I'm curious if anyone has even seen a recent manufacture Colt 1911, or revolver??? By recent I mean post pandemic onset? I haven't seen any evidence they are even trying to manufacture either or, I have seen rifles popping up here and there, but nary a whisper of 1911's, or the newly revived snake guns... I am starting to seriously believe this is it for Colt, for real!
How are we supposed to know? Ask Colt. https://colt.com/contact
Old December 31, 2020, 09:55 PM   #6
KyJim

Go to Gunbroker and search for:

"Colt 2020 Python"
"Colt new King Cobra"
"Colt new 1911"

You will see several of each. You may not like the prices, but there are some out there.
Old January 1, 2021, 02:39 AM   #7
RickB

A local store had three Pythons in stock, a month or so, ago.
Old January 2, 2021, 08:01 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

And, they are excellent revolvers in my experience.
Old January 2, 2021, 12:35 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
By recent I mean post pandemic onset?
I read this as asking if pistols have been produced in the Colt factory since "pandemic onset" (what date do you choose for that??? March? April?? another date??) and not what is on dealers shelves right now.

The people who know the answer to that are not here on TFL they are in the Colt factory. (or not, if its closed...)

You need to ask them, directly.
Old January 2, 2021, 01:15 PM   #10
imp

According to the gunbroker email I just got, the Colt Python was the #1 revolver sold on gunbroker in December.
Old January 3, 2021, 11:02 AM   #11
sevt_chevelle

One of my local stores just got in a 6" Python, priced at right around 1500 bucks.
Old January 8, 2021, 05:39 PM   #12
CajunBass

I bought the 6" one just before the pandemic started. The 4.2" just after.

Don't know if that answers the question or not, but it was a chance to show off a bit.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 8, 2021, 07:17 PM   #13
shurshot

Those are amazing! Very nice!!!!
Old January 12, 2021, 09:39 AM   #14
Radny97

CZ just announced they are buying Colt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 13, 2021, 10:04 PM   #15
KyJim

Quote:
CZ just announced they are buying Colt
I understand it is not final and they have set the end of the month to complete their due diligence. If it goes through, it will be good news for the Colt brand. CZ makes good guns and their Dan Wessons are top notch.
Old January 14, 2021, 02:00 PM   #16
Death-Ninja

Generally, they do not answer their phones, you might call them and verify that...
Old January 14, 2021, 02:07 PM   #17
Death-Ninja

Quote:
Go to Gunbroker and search for:

"Colt 2020 Python"
"Colt new King Cobra"
"Colt new 1911"

You will see several of each. You may not like the prices, but there are some out there
I see much confusion, and several outright snarky comments from folks who definitely do not possess any insight into OP. I've seen those guns, none of them, have been produced since onset of the pandemic, new older stock is not representative of current manufacture, so just because we see some here and there, does not complete the argument that they are building guns! One other thing, and its important, the rifles Colt has seemingly released, virtually all of them are "sourced" weapons, meaning Colt had little if anything to do with their manufacture! I do not see Colt's surviving much longer, it would be very nice if CZ were to buy the brand, but I do not underestimate Colts ability to sink that possibility, and swiftly!
Old January 14, 2021, 03:00 PM   #18
Ernest T Bass

serial number look-up?

Is there any way to determine the date a 2020 Python was manufactured by using the serial number? My 2020 Python is serial number PY0268XX. I just bought it this week. I highly doubt that it is "new old stock" and has been sitting around on the dealer's shelf since last March. I bet it was made in the past few months, if not sooner. But I have no way of proving that.
Old January 14, 2021, 03:15 PM   #19
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death-Ninja View Post
I've seen those guns, none of them, have been produced since onset of the pandemic, new older stock is not representative of current manufacture, so just because we see some here and there, does not complete the argument that they are building guns! One other thing, and its important, the rifles Colt has seemingly released, virtually all of them are "sourced" weapons, meaning Colt had little if anything to do with their manufacture!
How do you know which month a Colt was produced? Which rifles is Colt outsourcing? I know their .22 lr guns are just branded as Colts but I've never heard that about their centerfire guns.
Old January 14, 2021, 10:51 PM   #20
Two Shanks

Quote:
One of my local stores just got in a 6" Python, priced at right around 1500 bucks.
Nice to see at least one dealer is not gouging.
Old January 15, 2021, 01:35 AM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81
I know their .22 lr guns are just branded as Colts but I've never heard that about their centerfire guns.
Yes, Colt does outsource their centerfire AR-15s -- from Colt.

I've been to the Colt factory in West Hartford, CT, three times. Unless things have changed recently, the setup is that there are two companies operating in the same building, and there's a chain link barrier between them that goes all the way to the underside of the roof. One side is Colt's Manufacturing, LLC. That's the civilian side. The other side is Colt's Defense -- that's the side that makes guns for the military. Colt's Manufacturing doesn't make any AR-15s -- the AR-15s are made by Colt's Defense, transferred internally to Colt's manufacturing, and then sold on the civilian market.
Jeepaholic
Old January 19, 2021, 12:08 PM   #22
Death-Ninja

Quote:
How do you know which month a Colt was produced? Which rifles is Colt outsourcing? I know their .22 lr guns are just branded as Colts but I've never heard that about their centerfire guns.
Chris Bartucci(my apologies if misspelled)of small arms solutions did an entire vlog dealing with Colt's apparent 180 on selling AR's to the American public, specifically how they first shut it all down, then mysteriously turned about and began selling them again. He examined the new rifles and concluded that none on the parts were Colt manufacture, barrels, lowers, uppers, all sourced! This was last summer and it is what caught my attention, it indicated to me that they had become desperate to generate sales, of anything, but were still not making their own stuff!

I last purchased a Colt Combat Commander "Elite" .45 ACP in 2019, which was ordered from the distributor, it was in such poor condition that Colt actually replaced it, with I think a hand picked sample, since that time the only samples of that model are all 9mm, no .45's seen, this indicates they have stopped manufacture of them altogether! They are not making guns at this time, or if they are, just in very limited quantity. Regionally you may see more of their stuff along the eastern seaboard, but there is none in the midwest that I can see.
Old January 25, 2021, 09:49 PM   #23
MagDiddy

Colt Python is still sold new so I assume they're still manufacturing.
Old January 31, 2021, 02:35 PM   #24
Sanch

Last I heard, Colt is making Easy Bake Ovens for Kenner with a 98% failure rate.
Old February 18, 2021, 08:22 PM   #25
tipoc

Quote:
Yes they are. Why do you ask?

CZ just bought them, so they will continue and likely improve.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.