The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2021, 07:55 AM   #51
CajunBass

For pure fun at the range, a gun that the majority of people can handle with no trouble, and a certain amount of "flair" I highly recommend the Smith and Wesson, Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece," in 38 Special.

It's a K-frame Smith and Wesson, with a 4" slightly tapered barrel, with adjustable sights, in 38 Special. This one also has the optional target hammer and trigger, highly recommended if you have a choice, as are the target stocks. They are a joy to shoot, Smith and Wesson didn't call them "Masterpiece" for no reason.

They're light enough to carry if you really wanted to. I don't but I'm lazy, preferring a modern plastic semi for that job. But for something most everyone , men, women, boys and girls of all ages can and will enjoy shooting...it's hard to beat a Model 15.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; March 7, 2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old March 7, 2021, 06:41 PM   #52
dgludwig

For a mostly carry revolver (as opposed to a mostly range revolver), the relatively new Colt King Cobra, a s/s revolver chambered in .357 Magnum and having a 3" long barrel, would be a good choice. This gun has also an excellent da trigger pull.
Old March 9, 2021, 01:53 PM   #53
Reloadron

Quote:
I was set on 4" but:
At least one person whose post I have read opined that 4" was a bit long for carrying in/drawing from a belt holster.
Jerry Miculek won the IDPA Nationals Overall one year with a 3" barrel.
Yes, quite true but you need what works for you. General range use and training grandchildren I prefer the 4" or longer barreled revolvers. I am not Jerry Miculek so tend to go with what works for me and not someone else. While I carry a semi-auto if I were to carry a revolver my choice would be my 2" S&W Model 10.

Worst case if I only had one it would be a 4" which I could adjust myself for carry. While I do not have a 686 I do have a 586 but with a 5.5" barrel, hardly a carry gun. The 586 or 686 is an excellent revolver.

Ron
Old March 9, 2021, 02:00 PM   #54
Reloadron

Quote:
For pure fun at the range, a gun that the majority of people can handle with no trouble, and a certain amount of "flair" I highly recommend the Smith and Wesson, Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece," in 38 Special.

It's a K-frame Smith and Wesson, with a 4" slightly tapered barrel, with adjustable sights, in 38 Special. This one also has the optional target hammer and trigger, highly recommended if you have a choice, as are the target stocks. They are a joy to shoot, Smith and Wesson didn't call them "Masterpiece" for no reason

They're light enough to carry if you really wanted to. I don't but I'm lazy, preferring a modern plastic semi for that job. But for something most everyone , men, women, boys and girls of all ages can and will enjoy shooting...it's hard to beat a Model 15..
Gave a Model 15 to my son-in-law for Christmas several years ago.

He really enjoys the gun as does my daughter. I think of the Model 15 as a Model 10 but with great adjustable sights.

Ron
Old March 9, 2021, 03:43 PM   #55
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Have not owned a gun since college days' ROTC pistol team a loooong time ago.

Shopping an S&W 686+, but not holding my breath until I find one.

Meanwhile, to while away the hours, I am obsessing over barrel length.

Intended use right now is range/social: grandson shoots, son-in-law shoots, family friend and her husband shoot...

But who knows? Maybe some day I will want to carry it. And, besides, smaller is generally more convenient.

OTOH, I would like at least the chance to outshoot the guy next to me once in a while.

I was set on 4" but:
  • At least one person whose post I have read opined that 4" was a bit long for carrying in/drawing from a belt holster.
  • Jerry Miculek won the IDPA Nationals Overall one year with a 3" barrel.

So: would I be foolish to go for a 3" 686+?
I have a 4" revolver, a S&W 19-4. For what it is, a 6 shot medium power gun, it's huge.

For carry, go with 3".

Just my 2/ten-millionths of a bitcoin.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 10, 2021, 04:25 PM   #56
Ruger45LC

I like 3" revolvers, they don't give up much speed at all to a 4" and they carry better