The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 9, 2021, 10:01 PM   #26
kenny53

My first plastic gun was a Glock 19 gen 2 I bought in the late 90's. Great gun and I kept it until last year. My daughter wanted a hand gun for protection with all the riots and the unknown of the pandemic, so I give it to her. I have other plastic guns that get carried more often then my old school guns, but I shoot a 1911 better then any plastic pistol I have ever shot.
Old February 9, 2021, 10:08 PM   #27
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny53 View Post
My first plastic gun was a Glock 19 gen 2 I bought in the late 90's. Great gun and I kept it until last year. My daughter wanted a hand gun for protection with all the riots and the unknown of the pandemic, so I give it to her. I have other plastic guns that get carried more often then my old school guns, but I shoot a 1911 better then any plastic pistol I have ever shot.
That's why I got back into guns and bought the Glock 26. Your daughter got good taste!!!

Yes, 1911 shoots better, I have a Gold Cup also. But for self defense ...... Ah.....no. Has to be something light, reliable and smaller.

What other polymer guns do you have?
Old February 10, 2021, 05:38 AM   #28
jetinteriorguy

I’ve owned quite a few polymer pistols but am down to just one for CC now. That’s my Lc9s and I actually feel it’s a beautiful little gun. I don’t consider myself to be an old curmudgeon and really love and shoot all my steel semi auto’s and revolvers and sometimes just like looking at them and admiring them but that little Ruger is a keeper.
Old February 10, 2021, 06:01 AM   #29
Alan0354

I am thinking about buying another polymer gun, Ruger LC is on my list. Too bad I can't get new LCR that is even lighter. I have two Rugers, they both build like tanks. Not the lightest in the world.
Old February 10, 2021, 08:01 AM   #30
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I guess my personal taste is Polymer!!! I was out of shooting for 30 year, the polymer is the final straw that got me back into it now. Just bought a Glock 26, feel like buying more.

Funny people have been trashing Glock about the angle of the grip, that it's too angle. I was taking out my old guns, I notice my 22LR Ruger Mark II bull barrel that was very popular as a target gun, the grip is every bit as angled as the Glock. That was a popular gun for target. Nobody complain about it then, people still love it(including me).
I have never owned Glock so I will never post a negative/postive comment about them. My only reason for never owning one was simply as a lefty, for me the magazine release button extended to far out and the sharp edges would cut my finger and release the magazine upon recoil. So I never looked at them again. I know now that the magazine release on the newer models are interchangeable but by than I had shifted my focus to 1911's and revolvers. I do own a couple of polymer guns but my main caches is what I posted.
Old February 10, 2021, 05:47 PM   #31
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I have never owned Glock so I will never post a negative/postive comment about them. My only reason for never owning one was simply as a lefty, for me the magazine release button extended to far out and the sharp edges would cut my finger and release the magazine upon recoil. So I never looked at them again. I know now that the magazine release on the newer models are interchangeable but by than I had shifted my focus to 1911's and revolvers. I do own a couple of polymer guns but my main caches is what I posted.
I am not pro Glock at this point, I need to shoot it first before I make the judgement, I won't get it until Friday. It just happened Glock came out when I almost quit shooting in the late 80s, I always want a Glock since. So my first gun this time is a Glock. I am looking at other polymer guns also.

I am a true believer of polymer frame guns. It is stronger and lighter than aluminum frame. With steel rails, it's going to be a lot more durable than aluminum frames.

One thing about me, I might be old, but I don't reminisce the good old days, be it music, cars or anything. As an owner of a Colt Gold Cup, 1911 is OLD!!! there is nothing to reminisce that at all. It's single action, I would never want to have a round in the chamber and cocked & lock.

Yes, with SA, trigger got to be better for accurate shooting, that's why they are good competition guns. But for me, self defense is the most important, 1911 just doesn't fit the bill. My experience of my Gold Cup is it's not that reliable even after I work on it, it won't feed CCI Blazer hollow point reliably. There's only so much you can polish and rounding the corners of the feed ramp before you start compromise the safety. It's just not meant to be. I will never buy another 1911 period.

Regarding the looks...............Who cares!!!!

Last edited by Alan0354; February 10, 2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old February 11, 2021, 12:01 PM   #32
Lavan

okay,,
Old February 11, 2021, 12:49 PM   #33
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, pretty revolvers include:

Colt Diamondback. Not as polished as the Python but it is smaller framed (lighter) with beautiful lines. I wish I was TOLD back in the '70s to buy a 4" in 22 LR and 38 Special.

1950s S&Ws - before my time, but what beauties.

Rugers SS - never pretty but toughest revolvers ever. They could take more abuse than either Colt or S&W and keep working. It would be my choice for a woods gun.
Old February 11, 2021, 02:34 PM   #34
Alan0354

Ruger revolvers are built like a tank. I owned a (I think) SS Speed 6 or something bought in 84, it was beefy. From my memory, the frame is designed different from S&W and Colt. Both S&W and Colt have a side plate that you can remove to access the internal parts. This means there only one side of the frame to take on the stress of firing. From what I remember, Ruger have both sides that take on the stress.

Everything is thicker on Ruger. S&W is particular thin, look at the part where the barrel screw onto the frame on J frame, it is scary thin. I would be nervous shooting the air weight J frame snuby with 38.

But that Speed Six was over 31oz!!!
Old February 12, 2021, 12:34 AM   #35
Pathfinder45

Quote:
There’s nothing quite as beautiful-- and satisfying to hold, handle and shoot--as a highly polished blued steel S&W K frame or comparable Colt revolver; even a slick 1911, High Power or pre-war Luger semi-auto. Mechanical works of art all; a joy to admire and exercise the smooth actions.
Colt Woodsman, anyone?
Old February 12, 2021, 08:59 PM   #36
larryf1952

I used to be a member in good standing of the anti-polymer, Glock hate fan club. Only nice, shiny, well finished metal for me! Whatever...

Then, I decided to try a Kahr CW9. I wanted something small and light, without any safeties or extra doodads hanging off the side of it, to use as a home defense gun. It was the start of a beautiful relationship.

Long story short, I've added a BUNCH of polymer framed guns to my stash since then. I even bought my first Glock, a Gen 3 G19. I actually loved the grip. I have long, slender hands, and the grip actually felt good to me. I found that I could shoot the proverbial lights out with that gun at 10 yards.

I added more metal revolvers and 1911's to my collection, too, but I lost my fear and loathing for the polymer framed handgun. There are some darn fine guns with plastic lowers out there. If I dismissed them out of hand, I'd be missing out on enjoying a whole lot of really nice guns, and, at age 68, I'd just be a closed minded old FUDD.
Old February 19, 2021, 05:30 AM   #37
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
I used to be a member in good standing of the anti-polymer, Glock hate fan club. Only nice, shiny, well finished metal for me! Whatever...

Then, I decided to try a Kahr CW9. I wanted something small and light, without any safeties or extra doodads hanging off the side of it, to use as a home defense gun. It was the start of a beautiful relationship.

Long story short, I've added a BUNCH of polymer framed guns to my stash since then. I even bought my first Glock, a Gen 3 G19. I actually loved the grip. I have long, slender hands, and the grip actually felt good to me. I found that I could shoot the proverbial lights out with that gun at 10 yards.

I added more metal revolvers and 1911's to my collection, too, but I lost my fear and loathing for the polymer framed handgun. There are some darn fine guns with plastic lowers out there. If I dismissed them out of hand, I'd be missing out on enjoying a whole lot of really nice guns, and, at age 68, I'd just be a closed minded old FUDD.
I won't even buy any 1911 or metal semi anymore. I like the polymer ones a lot better, they are much lighter than steel, more durable than the aluminum. What not to like? Too bad they don't have any polymer revolvers. I think it's going to be hard to make the revolver frame with polymer as they do flex. The strong point of polymer is even they flex, they bounce back rather than crack like aluminum alloy. It doesn't matter for semi auto, but I don't think it works for revolver as the barrel screw directly onto the frame. You have to have perfect alignment between the barrel and the cylinder, any flex of the frame will throw the alignment off.
Old February 19, 2021, 05:38 AM   #38
SIGSHR

No polymer frames for this member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man, don't bother with aluminum or exotic materials either.
Old February 19, 2021, 01:53 PM   #39
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSHR View Post
No polymer frames for this member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man, don't bother with aluminum or exotic materials either.
If you don't mind the extra weight, steel frame is the best. I would not ever let my S&W 659 go particular I have the 14 rounds mags and one 20 rounds mag legally.

I still keeping my all steel James Bond gun( Walther PPKS).
Old February 19, 2021, 10:39 PM   #40
skywag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
Colt Woodsman, anyone?
Old February 20, 2021, 12:42 AM   #41
Pathfinder45

So nice!
Old February 20, 2021, 01:24 AM   #42
rc

Let's hope our right to own classics and new models are not Gone with the Wind soon.
Old February 21, 2021, 03:45 AM   #43
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc View Post
Let's hope our right to own classics and new models are not Gone with the Wind soon.
That's why I am buying now even it's inflated price. Just waiting for the 30 days period is up and I'll buy another one. Have a few in mind, Ruger LC380 that can be converted to LC9 easily. I am even thinking about .40S&W gun. All polymer ones. Too bad I don't have spare ammo to even try out my Glock 26, if it is good, I won't even rule out Glock 19. The Glock 19 just fit my hands. Today I went to my stepson's home, he has a Glock 19, I just fell in love when I held it in my hands. I had to get the 26 because it's smaller which is important if I ever need to carry it out. But now that I have it already, I really like the 19.