The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 18, 2013, 05:59 AM   #26
Sarge

I started mine on either a Single Six or H&R Sportsman. Neither left anything to be desired as a training gun.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:34 AM   #27
model18

S&W model 34 or 63 with a 4 in. barrel.
Old October 18, 2013, 07:56 AM   #28
buck460XVR

Quote:
my 9year old boy would like to start shooting real guns. What would be your choice as first gun? A .22lr revolver maybe?

If this is indeed a "first" gun and not just a first handgun, I think a .22 rifle is better than any handgun. Rifles are easier to handle for young children and easy to be successful with. Immediate success promotes continued participation for young kids.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:12 AM   #29
jimbob86

Quote:
If this is indeed a "first" gun and not just a first handgun, I think a .22 rifle is better than any handgun. Rifles are easier to handle for young children and easy to be successful with. Immediate success promotes continued participation for young kids.
I would concur, except for the fact that the OP asked this in the handgun forum.

All my kiddoes' first guns were .22 youth single shots. They picked them out, saved for them, and (all but the youngest) took 4-H Shooting Sports with them. They still have them.

They chose a Marlin 15Y, a Savage Cub, another 15Y, a 15YS, and the youngest has not made up her mind yet......
Old October 18, 2013, 08:35 AM   #30
hornetguy

Lots of good suggestions here. My first thought would be a single action .22 rimfire, but I wouldn't be against a good semi-auto, either. There are ways to be cautious and safe with an autoloader with kids... load only one, or two rounds at the most, etc...
The Ruger MkII is a great handgun, but it's a little heavy for smaller kids. I was going to recommend the Buckmark (and still do), but Ruger has come out with a "lite" version of the 22/45 which would probably be at least as good as the Buckmark, possibly better.
Once they have burned up a couple of bricks of .22 ammo, I'd ease them into a downloaded centerfire... preferrably a revolver. Smith model 10? GP100? Something along those lines, with wadcutter ammo.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:40 AM   #31
tlm225

I have started my 9 YOA grandson out with a S&W mdl 34. The advantage of starting with a DA revolver is that you have both a DA and SA in one gun.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:28 AM   #32
rockinrandy

I might be a little younger and still remember how I started shooting. The parenthesis are approximate age. The first was a BB/Pellet gun(7), then upgraded to a 22lr rifle(8), then to 30-30(11), then muzzleloader(12), and 30-06(15). Pistols though are a little different but I started with a 22lr Colt target (10), 38 special (hammerless don't remember model but snubbier) (10 later in the year), 357 Mag GP100 (11), and pretty much by 13 could shoot anything I could fit my hand around. But for a first gun I would lean towards semi-auto (I think this is what more tend to shoot). I would say it's like anything though buy what's comfortable and falls into your price range.
Old October 18, 2013, 12:17 PM   #33
buck460XVR

Quote:
I would concur, except for the fact that the OP asked this in the handgun forum.

Yeah, I know, but in his OP he asked about "first gun". Sometimes we as dads and grandpas want our kids and grandkids to run before they walk. While my 7 yr old granddaughter has shot my Buckmark and my 686 with mild .38s, her first gun was still a cricket .22 rifle and the one she shoots the most. If the young boy already has a .22 rifle, then Kudos to dad.
Old October 18, 2013, 12:58 PM   #34
FireCop203

I started mine with a single action .22 revolver. I originally tried with a semi auto .22, but the fist thing they tried to do was empty it as fast as they could pull the trigger. The single action made them take the time to cock the gun and aim.
Old October 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

A few years ago I started my friend's 8 or 9 year old on my Hi Standard Sentinel 6".

It was NOT a success, as the gun was far too muzzle heavy for him to aim effectively for more than a few seconds.

The same with my Browning Buckmark, just too unbalanced for him.

I actually had to switch him to my .32 Regulation Police with light wadcutter loads.

A few years later and I had picked up a 4" Model 18 with the heavy barrel, and he had grown a little bit. He was able to handle that gun, and liked it so much, that I had to frisk him to make sure he wasn't trying to pocket it and take it home to Iowa.

My point is, don't worry quite so much about the type of action you're going to be buying right now. You can teach around things like the desire to empty the magazine as fast as he can (by controlling the number of rounds in the magazine).

Worry about getting a gun that your son can handle right now.

That will make the teaching process a LOT easier, cut down on frustration, and make it a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 18, 2013, 01:21 PM   #36
Pahoo

Teaching Evolution and History.

I see an interesting observation on teaching young folks. I guess one has to ask what the expectations are. If it's a semi-auto with a RedDot, so be it. For me, that would be part of it but the bigger picture is teaching a kid about the history and evolution of firearms. Before I work my Grandsons into handguns, I make sure they have a good working knowledge of long guns. In fact, I started mine out, on SideLocks and that didn't go over very well or last long. Then I progressed to a long-guns and then, handguns. They see that firearms are all connected...

Lately I mostly teach M/L's and start with the Flintlocks to the percussion and the progression to the center fired metal cartridge. I show them the neat 45/70 package. Our classes would be much shorter and simpler, if I just taught them how to load and shoot an In-Line. I not capable of teaching this way. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 18, 2013, 02:25 PM   #37
Closing The Gap

My boys started with a single six, sr22, 1911-22 around age 8, and now have graduated up to a Beretta 92fs(my 10yo) and a Glock 22(my 13 yo). I'm proud and ashamed to say that my 13 yo shoots the Glock far more accurately than me. They both love breaking out the .22s for impromptu shooting gallery fun with the wife and I.
Old October 18, 2013, 03:17 PM   #38
bt380

Bolt action 22 rifle. But only when you are with him. When he has proven himself safe, then work into a 22 single action revolver. Have him take a gun safety class from a legitimate gun range. Also the both of you join a gun club that meets at a gun range. Keep the guns in a safe that he doesn't know the combo. Despite his responsibility and your trust in him. He is still a 9 year old boy. They do not have their lobes developed as yet and their reasoning skills is highly influenced by sugar and the batman comic books.
Old October 18, 2013, 03:25 PM   #39
pilpens

My choice would be:
1st. SA cowboy gun - Ruger Single six or like.
2nd. DA/SA revolver
3rd. Semi-Auto pistol - Ruger SR22, etc.
===========
Of course all these assumes that the .22 handgun fits the child's hand.
===========
I have always started out children with a .22 rifle then move to .22 handgun when they feel ready.
Old October 18, 2013, 04:05 PM   #40
Chuck Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin

...far too muzzle heavy...

...just too unbalanced for him...
Thanks, Mr. Irwin!

I bought the 6" tapered barrel Ruger MkII and regretted that taper from the beginning. None of the kids, even the smallest, has ever shown the slightest sign of difficulty with it. Guess there is always a flip side.

Last edited by Chuck Dye; October 19, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old October 18, 2013, 07:41 PM   #41
stu925

Another vote for the Ruger Bearcat, this would be great for a kid. I had a Single Six Convertible that I traded for a S&W M36 so eventually I'll have to pick up a .22 revolver for my boys to learn on too. I think the Single Six might be just a bit to large for a kid but I guess it depends on the kid.

Stu
Old October 18, 2013, 08:22 PM   #42
Bob Wright

The progression I used for my grandson was

1. .22 Ruger Single Six

2. .22 Colt Diamondback

3. Ruger 22/45 Auto

4. Ruger .357 Blackhawk (.38s before .357s)

5. S&W Model 586

I made sure he started out on 6" dia. targets before going to the 2" dia. and 1" dia. And used those Birckwood-Casey "Shoot-N-See targets for better visibility of his shots.

I started him on paper targets, as "near misses" with cans, popsicle sticks, etc. get to be too much fun.

Bob Wright
Old October 19, 2013, 10:01 AM   #43
BOBA FETT

smith and wesson .500 with 2 inch barrel...
Old October 19, 2013, 12:33 PM   #44
Bob Wright

BOBBA FETT said:
Quote:
smith and wesson .500 with 2 inch barrel...

And?

Bob Wright
Old October 21, 2013, 02:03 PM   #45
Para Bellum

Thanks

Folks!

It's been a while for me and I really enjoy being back here. Thank you so much for your time and thought. Great suggestions, good advice. Good to know, you are out there.

Have a good evening,
PB
Old October 21, 2013, 07:32 PM   #46
wayneinFL

I agree with the guys with 22 single action revolvers. My youngest two are starting out with a Heritage Arms, but a Ruger Bearcat would probably fit their hands a little better.

They shot 22 semi autos as well. And occasionally, my youngest (9) will shoot my Star 380- the one that looks like a little 1911 without a grip safety. Fits his hands pretty well, not a whole lot of recoil, and a short single action trigger pull.
Old October 21, 2013, 08:59 PM   #47
k511

Ruger...Bearcat, single six, single ten....my first was a ruger single six with 22lr and 22mag cylinders....i still have it.
Old October 23, 2013, 03:17 PM   #48
Para Bellum

A friend offered an interesting rifle: He won a Marlin 882L in .22 Mag in an IPSC competiton. The rifle hasn't fired 20 shots yet and looks like this one:

not really a handgun, but anyway great to start with, isn't it?
Old October 23, 2013, 11:31 PM   #49
Doc TH

Question was about a handgun.
Safest option would be a single action revolver, best choice for reliability, longevity, and quality would be Ruger Single Six.
For older kids, with some experience in handling handguns, a Ruger MKII or MK III woud be a good choice. For my two sons, the Ruger Single Six was the choice.
Old October 24, 2013, 02:13 AM   #50
Chowder

Of course it depends on teaching style. But I have to say my brothers SR22 would be a great beginning gun. As other have said the bear cat is a great choice also. The reason I say the SR22 is that it is small enough for small shooters, but with the back straps it can grow. Load one round in the mag for training but that will all be up to the training style. One they are grown and punching holes in 10 rings its still a fun plinker.