The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2013, 01:33 AM   #1
ccwnut

Gen 4 Glocks and +P or +P+ ammo.

Given Glock's reputation of happily digesting practically everything they're fed, this is probably a moot point. But how do Glocks (specifically the Gen 4's) stand up to +P and +P+ ammo? I recently bought a Gen 4 G26 and a Gen 4 G19 as my ccw and home defense weapons. Do I have anything to worry about from non-standard pressure ammunition through these guns?
Old September 8, 2013, 01:44 AM   #2
RsqVet

I would not worry about it but then I don't feel the need for such ammo in most applications.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Theohazard

+P is fine in Glocks. +P+ is usually fine, but it depends on the manufacturer. Since +P+ 9mm isn't rated by SAAMI, you don't always know if you're getting ammo that's just a little hotter than +P or if it's crazy hot submachine-gun ammo, so make sure to pick +P+ loads from well-known manufacturers. I've shot plenty of Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ in my Glock 19 and 26 and it worked fine and had barely more recoil than Ranger 124 gr. +P.

Though keep in mind that you'll put a little more wear on your gun if you regularly shoot +P or +P+ through it.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:50 AM   #4
RBid

They'll run just fine on it, but it's not necessary. Polygonal barreling gives the benefit of slightly higher velocity than standard rifling. The difference isn't tremendous, but the difference between standard pressure and +P is rarely huge, either. IIRC, Speer Gold Dot 124gr and 124gr +P are only about 50fps different at the muzzle. Firint that 124gr out of the Glock 19 is going to get similar velocity to what you'll get firing 124gr +P out of a standard 4" barrel.

Tags
9mm ammo , glock gen4 , glock kaboom!