The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 15, 2013, 10:56 PM   #1
.38Catt

Ruger Bearcat

Any experience with this gun? I want this as a first gun/heirloom for my young daughter. I would hope it hits close to point-of-aim, is fairly accurite to 50' (groups under 2.5", again, shooting to point-of-aim) and reliable.

The single six/ten maybe more appealing, but for now, I'm focusing on the Bearcat.

Regards,

.38Catt
Old July 16, 2013, 05:45 AM   #2
CajunBass

I would say the Single-Six is a better all around gun. The Bearcat is a great gun, but is somewhat hard to shoot. It has small grips that make it hard for ME to grip consistently. The trigger pull, stock out of the box, is somewhat heavy. The short sight radius and it's old fashioned, "hog trough" sights are far from precise. The gun itself is capable of accuracy to rival or exceed the Single-Six. It's just harder to shoot.

Having said all that, I love the Bearcat. I don't have one anymore, but still love them. They are the perfect gun to carry for bumming around in the woods, when I don't want to carry a gun. It's about the perfect size for a child, whereas a Single-Six might be too large. Get a holster from Ruger and you have a package that is just "cute."

I say get both.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 16, 2013, 09:10 AM   #3
PetahW

I've had several BearCats & Super BearCats over the years, all Old Models, and the only issue I ever had was that one or two were so tight-chambered that not all ammunition brands would easily chamber/extract.

That issue solved itself by switching ammo until a brand was found that chambered/extracted easily.

I mounted a set of Elkhorn Stag grips on my current ca. 1969 BC.

Old July 16, 2013, 06:02 PM   #4
rep1954

I've owned a couple of the newer Bearcats that never impressed me to much. This Old Model Bearcat is a great shooter. I have small hands and it fits just fine. With decent running ammo it will just keep hitting 1 1/2" off hand at 50' all day.

Old July 16, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I have a vintage (1970s) Super Bearcat - it's a nice little SA and fun to shoot. My wife (who never showed much interest in shooting) likes it so I've sort of saved it as "her gun".

I've heard of some with tight chambers - this isn't a big deal as you can either change brands (if you can find any 22 ammo) or you can polish the chambers which seems to take care of the problem.

Accuracy? I would say it's going to be about like any 22 SA. But, like any SA, you need to learn the individual gun and how it shoots. I've shot SA for many, many years - BP and cartridge - and for those who are used to the "fancy" sights like a lot of the DAs have, you need to learn the quirks of the gun, how it sights and maybe add a little "Kentucky windage" in to the scenario - which isn't a bad thing to know.

I have no idea of how the new Bearcats are - the ones I've looked at are O.K. but as far as I'm concerned, too pricey. I own Colts, Rugers, S & Ws, Sigs, etc. and I ended up picking up a Heritage Rough Rider with a 4 3/4" barrel for a "knock around gun" on the farm. No, it's not a Colt, Ruger or a S & W but it's nice shooting little gun and plenty accurate (at least mine was out of the box). You might think about something like that to start her out with and if she likes it and continues to want to shoot, then upgrade to either a Bearcat or maybe a Single Six as she gets bigger.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 17, 2013, 02:03 AM   #6
Bill Siegle

The Bearcat is just a simple fun gun! I love the two I have. Both are plenty accurate for pop cans, clays or squirrels. I don't recall ever actually shooting paper with mine but I have called my shots on the caps of Mt Dew bottles at around 30 or 40ft. Also they make great guns for the kids hands.
Old July 18, 2013, 01:32 AM   #7
RsqVet

The bearcat is great though I will say it is not an easy beginners gun as
Others have mentioned. Most need their chambers polished.

Regardless Of what other gun / guns I may have with me the bearcat usually comes on most trips with me packed somewhere handy.

Their new compact "storekeeper" bearcat is even handier.
Old July 18, 2013, 03:09 PM   #8
PUPP86

My son's first handgun was a Ruger Bearcat (newer model). Never had an issue and fairly accurate.
Old July 20, 2013, 12:55 AM   #9
engineer88

Bought my wife one a few years back. It is her favorite gun. To be fair she only has three that are her guns, but it is the one that always comes to the range. The chambers aren't tight, but after 40-50 rounds through it, the wax builds up and you gotta clean it out. Other then that it has been great. As accurate as it needs to be for a plinker and yes it is best for small hands. I highly recommend them.
Old July 21, 2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Gaucho Gringo

The Bearcats grip frame is shaped more like the old Remington SA revolvers, the Single Six more like the Colt SA revolver. Just like the old Colt vs Remington arguments, it really boils down to what fits you better.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old July 21, 2013, 03:09 PM   #11
bamaranger

haters

Not seen it yet on this post, but there seem to be a lot of Bearcat haters. Most of it seems to stem from its diminutive size and dinky sights.

Well, they are small, noticeably smaller than a Single-6. Which is what I like about them. I can carry a Bearcat easily (safely 5 rds loaded) in a pants pocket. I cannot do that with a Single 6. And...it was the first handgun bamaboy shot at a ripe young age for the same reason, not too heavy or bulky.

Mine is minute of coke can accurate, as long as I pay attention to those tiny sights and they are tiny too, and don't mash the trigger. I don't ask much of it past 15 yds or so.

Won't be getting rid of mine.
Old July 21, 2013, 03:23 PM   #12
mk70ss

Love my new Shopkeeper version.

Old July 22, 2013, 01:24 AM   #13
Buzzcook

For a young girl the Bearcat should be a good choice.

2 1/2" groups might be a bit too much to expect though.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:35 AM   #14
newfrontier45

Quote:
...there seem to be a lot of Bearcat haters.
Probably lots of opinions from people who never even shot one.

They are great little sixguns. They easily fit in the pocket and come in at 9-10oz less than a Single Six with aluminum grip frame. I found it to be a challenge to shoot them accurately for the first few hundred rounds but once I was able to do my part, they give up very little to a Single Six in a comparable barrel length. The sights are better than most fixed sight single actions because the front blade is sufficiently wide but also square. The rear notch is not only the proper width but the top strap is also flat. A tin can at 50yds is not a big challenge.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:16 PM   #15
mattamuskeet

I think they are neat guns, but the one I bought had some cylinder timing issues or something. It would misfire because the firing pin would fail to line up with the rim of the cartridge. Instead of sending it back to Ruger, I got rid of it and got something else; since I was not all that enamored with it anyway...