The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Texshooter

Beretta officially gone?

Sorry if posted already, but an article on "Opposing Views.com" by Dabney Bailey makes it sound as if Beretta has officially announce they are "outta here!"

Have not read anywhere else.

Anyone?
Old April 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
zincwarrior

out of where?
Old April 4, 2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Texshooter

Maryland.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

If you follow the links to the articles Mr. Bailey cites as sources, they say Beretta has threatened to leave Maryland if the new legislation in that state were to pass. There's nothing except his opinion to support the idea that the decision to leave has been made.

(Bloggers... )
Old April 4, 2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Dan F

Vanya... I was at the MD House Judiciary hearing last month. I got to listen to a Beretta spokesman say that they were "seriously considering relocation", as a matter of both commerce and principle. They felt it would seriously and negatively affect their manufacturing and sales, and they really didn't like feeling they were "unwelcome" in MD and that their customers were being treated as "second-class citizens".

It was heartening (although it now seems ultimately to no effect) to hear that Beretta supports us, and to hear the cheers ring through the building when the spokesman concluded his statement.

Of course, any statement of consideration does not equal a commitment to act. Honestly, though... I sure hope they do move. I want as much ammunition as we can gather to make sure O'Malley regrets this idiocy in a very, very long retirement.

Damn politicians.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I get the feeling that the anti politicians are locked into an ideological position as compared to an economic evaluation.

Let's say your state was known for producing the vilest dirty pictures. Despite Supreme Court decisions on the matter, your state legislature decides to ban such vile dirty pictures. The dirty picture industry in your state says you will lose X dollars as they will move. You don't care as you are doing a moral good.

That's the kind of evaluation that's going on.

Now, I do think the companies should move as a moral position but I don't think the antis care one bit. In fact, it reinforces their belief in their righteous views.

A reality check would be losing elections and primary challenges. Unless you can do that - they don't care.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Kimio

Sadly, I feel what Glenn said is the truth of the matter. The fact that these "evil gun manufacturers" are leaving their state, it's more of a vindication for their actions rather than a rebuke.

Only when they are voted out of office because of such actions will they then care about what has/yet to pass.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Texshooter

My hope is both would happen.
Old April 5, 2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Only when they are voted out of office because of such actions will they then care about what has/yet to pass.
I agree, however voting them out of office is easier said then done, after all we still have Obama.
I think it's great that firearms and ammunition manufactures would relocate to states that support 2A.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 5, 2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Pilot

They will benefit from another state giving them a large incentive package to move which will be a huge windfall. There plant and equipment are nearing the end of their useful life. They will get grants and low interest loans for new equipment, lland and buildings, job training money, tax abatements, etc. Remember, also that Gov. O'Malley recently was able to raise taxes AGAIN. MD is a very high cost place to do business.

Beretta may say this is purely an ideological move, but it is probably mostly just economic. I applaud Beretta none the less for doing the PR however.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #11
dajowi

As far as anti-gun, anti-2nd amendment politicians and citizens are concerned any gun related business that moves from their state is a win.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Water-Man

Many of the politicians in the Blue States feel that, because of their state's voting persuasion, they will get re-elected no matter what they do and say regarding the gun issues.

I fervently hope they are proven wrong next year.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Robk

Beretta may be doing has has been suggested by Glenn E. Meyer. Not just from a moral stand point but also from a financial one also. It would be correct to state that nothing will change until these politicians are voted out. They may feel safe due to there demograhpic political makeup, but they may be short sighted. If Beretta does leave, so do jobs, money from the local economy and from the state coffers. Beretta's stance may not make an impact, but someone who is out of work due to the current policies of his/her state will remember who did it to them.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Patriot86

Quote:
Beretta's stance may not make an impact, but someone who is out of work due to the current policies of his/her state will remember who did it to them.
Until the media blames the job losses on gun companies forced to move after being put under pressure from "Right wing extremists such as the tea party and NRA". Most of US here would see through that, the problem is the media is a powerful tool. If they choose to cover the story of the many gun companies that will be moving out of these anti gun states I am sure it will be in the light of "The evil NRA made them move, the NRA extremists are why you no longer have a job"
Old April 5, 2013, 10:45 AM   #15
Evan Thomas

Given that much of the NRA's funding comes from gun companies, it would be hard to make that claim. The power of the purse generally works in the other direction.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:50 AM   #16
Patriot86

I am not saying its the truth, I am not saying it makes sense I am saying the headlines will be "NRA Pressures Beretta into moving out of MD"

On the topic of firearms businesses moving, anyone know if Magpul has made it official where they are moving?

Last edited by Patriot86; April 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM.