The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 22, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
LowStandards

H-S Precision Remington 700 Fitment Issue...

Hello everyone!

I hate for my first post to be a plea for help, but it is! I'll go ahead and say that working with bolt actions rifles is fairly new to me, so please, bear with me!

I purchased the gun in question, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308, about a year ago. I loved everything about the rifle, but the factory hogue stock. Today, I thought I was finally going to change that! I purchased a H-S Precision stock from a local individual. It had been on one of his rifles (Supposedly), but he had since parted with the barrel, and no longer needed the stock. I am unsure of the model, I was just told it would fit a 700 SA BDL.

Everything seemed to go smoothly, until i went to put the floor plate back into place and realized the trigger group was a little too close to one side of the stock.

The bolt holes all lined up, so I'm sure it was in the stock straight. Everything fit fine when I put it back in the hogue.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Old February 23, 2013, 01:30 AM   #2
Scorch

Looks like something is hanging up in the inletting. Check to make sure your recoil lug is vertical and that your safety lever is not hanging up on the inside of the stock. Those are very common interferences.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:54 AM   #3
hoghunting

Since this stock was on someone else's rifle, is there any bedding compound around the recoil lug or action?
Old February 24, 2013, 11:54 AM   #4
HiBC

I believe the H-S Precision stock has an aluminum bedding block.That will be CNC machined and should be a drop in fit for a factory spec Rem 700.

Some interference points have been mentioned,such as a safety.Good advice.I would think of you have the stock Rem trigger,the stock should have clearance.

I suppose there may be a variant of the H-S stock that is not aluminum bedded,but if someone has decided to do a glass bed over the aluminum(I have seen that mentioned in a post on tfl) they may have botched it.

I'd be leary if it looks glassed over.

Look to see you do not have a trigger pin or something walked out ,protruding.

There is a product,Prussian Blue,maybe your NAPA Auto parts will have it.Its about the consistancy of cold cream.and it is an indigo blue.Its purpose in life is to show when two parts touch.If one part has blue on it,it will transfer to the other part.

If you use an acid brush or pipe cleaner to apply a thin coat of prussian blue to your bbl/reciever,assemble it to the stock,and remove it,you will be able to read the spots and see what touches.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Easier that prussian blue is a kerosene lamp. Smoke the trigger and the area immediately around it. Then try to install the action. Where the smoke has been rubbed off is where it is bearing against the stock.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:08 PM   #6
AR15barrels

Did you actually screw in the screws and find the trigger was STILL over to the side?

These stocks are inletted in such a way that you can actually rotate the action quite a bit before the screws are installed.

The recoil lug does NOT touch the stock on the sides or the bottom.
It only seats against the rear face.

What I do when installing an action into one of these stocks with normal BDL bottom metal is to un-latch the baseplate of the bottom metal, flip the barreled action upside down on the bench, install the mzine box, lower the stock on to the barreled action (just like in your picture above), and visually center the trigger in the inletting.
THEN I set the bottom metal into the inletting, checking for proper fit of the magazine box into the bottom metal before I install the action screws.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:06 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, my first thought was that the action was rotated in the stock rather than that the stock is not properly inletted. I would check that first before starting to cut on the stock.

Jim
Old February 28, 2013, 12:38 PM   #8
mikikanazawa

The HS Precision bedding blocks are extruded, and not very precise in my opinion. It does not surprise me that your trigger doesn't appear centered.

The trouble is that the receiver will find a nominal center in the vertex of the V-shaped bedding block, but this has little to do with the direction the barrel, barrel channel, and most of the rest of the gun are pointing.

Most of your $200 stocks with bedding blocks exhibit this trait to some degree. You just got extra unlucky with the fit.

Personally, I don't view any separately-purchased stock with a bedding block to be 100% ready to go "out of the box" without some type of fitting or customization.

If I really had my druthers I'd avoid buying a pre-bedded stock at all, instead opting for a less expensive gunsmith-fit stock and spend the difference on professional hand fitting.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:44 PM   #9
eldermike

I just finished my remington SPS project. I used the same stock as yours and had the very same issue. I used a small file on the inside of the bottom metal and made room for the Timney trigger I used. The end result is you can't see it and it works great.