The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 23, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Single Action Hammers

As a matter of interest, here is an assortment of hammers from different single action revovlers:

These are two Uberti revovlers, the one on the left has the Uberti hammer block safety, the one on the right has the base pin type hammer block, or, in some cases, no safety at all, the Colt is similar.

Here are two Rugers, the left one a three-screw model, the one on the right a New Model with transfer bar:

And, here on the left again is a New Model Ruger with transfer bar, and the Hy Hunter/Hawes/Great Western hammer with Christy type firing pin. This Great Western revovlers ca. 1955 era, not the current ones.

And, a view of the Christy type firing pin:

Hope someone will find this of benefit.

Bob Wright
Old November 23, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Duke City Six

Bob,

I always enjoy your threads on single actions. Lots of nice photos, too. I've learned a number of things from you.

Last edited by Duke City Six; November 23, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Hawg

Gotta love those hammer mounted firing pins.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:05 PM   #4
gak

Another good post as usual Bob. It's always interesting to watch the old movies and TV shows (of the 50s/60s) for the telltale hammer to see whether a SAA or GW...though the latter sometimes was/could be fitted with a SAA hammer (I think as a GW option, or t least easy aftermarket replacement). Also, regardless of hammer type, funny how many of the actors would have a gun drawn on someone with the hammer down. You sit there saying "dummy, make a move, grab his gun it's not even cocked!" (Oh yeah, it's all make believe!)
Old November 27, 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Rainbow Demon

I a few older westerns when it shows someone fanning the hammer if you look closely you'll see that a double action revolver with ejector rod has been substuted for the SAA shown earlier.
One foreign made film used what looked to be the cheap German made western style .38 that resebled the SAA if you didn't look too closely.

Some inaccuracies in westerns are due to concern for safety. Some studios would not allow any actor to open the loading gate of a SAA much less let them load it themselves.

Now days some smaller film companies don't allow even blank firing guns. They use inert props or airsoft replicas and add muzzle blast and report using CGI and audio sound effects.
This reduces insurance costs and delays due to Fire Marshal approval for pyro-technics. Also fewer actors and crew are subject to hearing loss.

PS
For my older Single Six I'm making a chamber adapter to sleeve one chamber down from .22 mag to .22 LR.
I don't expect to use the LR cartridge much if any, but it will prevent accidentally loading a Mag round in that chamber.
I'll then mark the cylinder on each side of that chamber with indentations filled with red paint. These will be visble signs that the hammer is on the empty LR chamber when carrying with five beans in the wheel.

When/if I decide to fire a .22 LR or CB cap in the sleeved chamber I won't be carrying with the other chambers loaded.

Last edited by Rainbow Demon; November 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Rainbow Demon said:
Quote:
PS
For my older Single Six I'm making a chamber adapter to sleeve one chamber down from .22 mag to .22 LR.
I don't expect to use the LR cartridge much if any, but it will prevent accidentally loading a Mag round in that chamber.
I'll then mark the cylinder on each side of that chamber with indentations filled with red paint. These will be visble signs that the hammer is on the empty LR chamber when carrying with five beans in the wheel.

When/if I decide to fire a .22 LR or CB cap in the sleeved chamber I won't be carrying with the other chambers loaded.
Would you explain why this much trouble, rather than having an extra cylinder?

Bob Wright