The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 12, 2012, 06:55 PM   #1
jetjim

A Sig P250 and EWL (Extreme Weapons Lubricant)

I was in a gun store today, and the guy told me that I should use EWL on the outside of my Sig P250 about every 2 weeks, and that it would protect it and penetrate to the inside.

What are your thoughts about that? The instructions on the bottle of EWL do not mention using it on the outside of the gun. Thanks.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Technosavant

I don't think it's necessary.

The P250, like most dark colored current production Sigs, has the Nitron coating. That's more or less similar to the Glock Tennifer (if I remember right)- a nitride that itself penetrates the metal and is extremely corrosion resistant.

Of the three P250 top ends I have (two complete guns, one conversion kit), not one has yet to show any kind of corrosion. I will wipe them down with Break Free when I clean them, but I don't worry about rust or anything else with them.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:07 PM   #3
jetjim

Thank you. So Break Free is good to wipe the P250 down with?
Old July 13, 2012, 11:18 AM   #4
RC20

I don't wipe the exterior down on mine at all. The coating is just fine. Not like a blued gun.

Inside gets the lubricant that came with the gun (EWL).

I do drop some break free down into the trigger mechanism as grease will not get in there.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:24 AM   #5
jetjim

Thanks. I am kinda new at this, for last time I owned a semi was over 10 years ago, and I need to refresh myself on maintenance (cleaning, lubricating, etc.)
Old July 13, 2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Skadoosh

Quote:
the guy told me that I should use EWL on the outside of my Sig P250 about every 2 weeks, and that it would protect it and penetrate to the inside
That is an amazing claim! It will penetrate...a few microns into the finish surface, but not clean through to the inside.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:53 AM   #7
KyJim

On my nitride finished or cerakoted guns, I'll wipe the outside down lightly with a rag with some CLP and then wipe it dry. That's mostly just to clean any powder or other gunk off.
Old July 13, 2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

As a rule of thumb, I try and avoid products with the word "Extreme" in the name or description.
Old July 14, 2012, 07:59 PM   #9
sakata8242

"Penetrate to the inside?" what is that supposed to mean?

No lube will penetrate through the metal, if that's what he meant, and I'd be hesitant to put a significant amount of lube that seeps into every nook and cranny on a slide, as it could find its way inside the firing pin channel.

A lightly oiled cloth or patch is sufficient for an exterior wipedown, or one of those silicon gun cloths. SIG slides are stainless steel, and typically don't require a lot of maintenance other than keeping them clean.
Old July 14, 2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Noreaster

Sig classic series are wet guns and require internal lube. Most poly guns require much less. Check your owner's manual. My PD carried Sigs for twenty years and some guys wiped down the outside with oil and some didn't. Really couldn't tell the difference after ten years. One guy wiped it down with WD40 and it looked like junk, it showed every scratch / mark.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Misssissippi Dave

The slide and trigger assembly are both stainless steel. It doesn't take much of anything to keep rust away from the P250. The springs could possibly corrode in extreme conditions. I use a light gun oil on the outside of mine and the same for the contacts of any moving parts of the trigger assembly. A light coating of Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite for the rails and the outside of the barrel and it is good for several hundred rounds in a single range trip (still fine after 400 rounds).

The main reason for using oil on the outside of the slide for me it try to keep it clean. It also removes any execess grease I might have put on the rails. The P250 doesn't need as much lubrication as the other P series Sig pistols do because it is a polymer. I only have 2 P250s. I do have several kits for them.
Old July 15, 2012, 01:41 PM   #12
RC20

Oil may protect from rust, but a polymer is no different than an all metal or metal alloy gun in that the moving parts all have a metal to metal sliding interface.

Slide rails and trigger, hammer.

So the lubrication for function is the same.

My instructions for lubrication are the same as any gun.