The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1
red caddy

.410 bore rifling?

I've got a ,410 shotgun barrel that I want to cut rifling in, to hopefully improve performance with slugs. Yes, I know I can buy a barrel already rifled, but this particular piece has a great deal of sentimental value to me and the barrel cannot be easily replaced or sleeved.

Any good leads to somebody that can do this kind of modification?

Thanks, Paul.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:02 PM   #2
zippy13

The only one that comes to mind is Jess Briley's shop, their top of the line Skeet tubes are rifled. Perhaps they could do your gun. The only rub is they are straight rifled, and I assume you want some twist.

Typically, twist rifled slug barrels are intended to be used with sabots, but I'm not familiar with any .410-bore sabots. Do you intend to make your own .410 sabots, or what? You may be crossing the vague line between a rifled shotgun and a true rifle.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
olddrum1

My guess, in that you only mentioned "barrel", the cost of the work would greatly exceed the value of the gun.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Doyle

You can't "add" rifling to the length of the barrel. Rifled barrels start out life with thick walls into which the groves are cut. Your shotgun already has a thin barrel and there is nothing left to cut.
Old February 10, 2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Certainly, rifling can be added. It can't be deep-but then that not really the object.
Old February 10, 2010, 06:29 PM   #6
red caddy

I don't need the grooves to be deep, I'm shooting multiple .36 caliber soft lead balls in a plastic wad/ shot cup. A single pass with a broach would likely be enough to achieve my goals. I believe a 1 in 20 twist is about as fast a twist rate as the plastic wad would accept. I fired this load combination in my Saiga, with a rifled choke tube, and shreded the wad, without any noticible change to the pattern. Thanks for the replies, keep 'em comming. Paul.
Old February 10, 2010, 06:56 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

That would be handy!
Old February 12, 2010, 11:15 PM   #8
brandx

"this particular piece has a great deal of sentimental value to me and the barrel cannot be easily replaced or sleeved."
Then why do you want to modify the barrel and make it unsuitable for shot shells
Old February 13, 2010, 04:12 AM   #9
zippy13

Ah hah, so you are shooting sabots of a sort. Shooting multiple balls from modern cartridges is nothing new. I have an old re-loading manual that lists a few double ball loads for revolver and pistol cartridges. They mentioned that dual balls are a definite possibility, but a single bullet gave significantly better accuracy.
Old February 13, 2010, 04:17 AM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Yeah- that's the ticket!