The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 25, 2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Aguila mini shells ( 12 ga ) for home defense ???

So... I have a thread here...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=299800

but curious also to your guys thoughts of this lever shottie, & either the mini slugs, or buck shot ???
Old June 26, 2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Rifleman 173

I've tested the Aguila shotgun shells. I would only use them to shoot snakes and not for home defense or personal protection. For HD or PP I would definitely want a full size 12 guage shotgun shell to stop a bad guy. I consider the Aguila shotgun shells to be more of a novelty or specialty round rather than practical defense load.
Old June 26, 2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the reply... ( I was beginning to think my typing stunk or something )

I noticed the velocity seemed pretty low on the published data on Midaways site... but think a 3/4 ounce slug at that velocity, might still carry the energy of a 44 special or 45 acp ???

buck shot only held like 11 shot pellets, but ( not totally sure of the diameter of single 0 buck )... but should have about the power of several 22 rf rounds fired at the same time ???
Old June 26, 2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Creature

They are plenty potent for very close range (<15yrds) SD situations. Still, the reliable feeding if these rounds would my major concern IRT SD/HD.
Old June 26, 2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

since this gun is kind of a fun "toy" right now, I'm going to try a couple boxes of mini's... I might decide to alter the lift forks as described in the listing on Midway ( if needed... currently the action seems to favor shorter shells, so it might work just fine as is ??? )... at this point, I'd even consider permanently reworking the action specifically for the minis, if the gun will hold an extra round or two, & if the penitration tests I'll do show them to be of sufficient power for in home self defense

the front adjustable sight post I'm adding, could be either fiber optic, or tritium, if this gun turned out to be a good "house gun" ???
Old June 26, 2008, 10:30 AM   #6
MortalWombat

Quote:
I noticed the velocity seemed pretty low on the published data on Midaways site... but think a 3/4 ounce slug at that velocity, might still carry the energy of a 44 special or 45 acp ???
Midway lists it at 381 ft/sec, but it appears that they put the wrong units in. According to the Aguila website, it's 381 meters/sec, or 1250 ft/sec. For a 382 grain slug (7/8 ounce), that's about 1300 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.
Old June 26, 2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

MORTAL... thanks for clairifying... I had thought those published energy / velocities were higher when I researched them earlier... maybe I had been on the Aguila site earlier???

anyway... at those levels, I'd think it would make a fine "house gun" provided they cycled in the gun 100%
Old June 26, 2008, 10:42 AM   #8
MortalWombat

Yeah, you need to make sure they cycle reliably in your lever action. I wouldn't hesitate using them in my Baikal SxS shotgun. No issues with feeding in a break-open shotgun.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:16 PM   #9
LanceOregon

The buckshot version of this cartridge has plenty of power for self-defense.

The main drawback to this ammo is the reliability of feeding. Most pump actions have issues feeding them. In fact, according to Aguila, just about every pump gun other than the Winchester 1300 Defender and Winchester 97 will need to have a gunsmith work on them, in order to feed these cartridges reliably.

See:

http://www.aguilaammo.com/minishells_shotgun_mods.htm
Old June 30, 2008, 05:54 PM   #10
seeker_two

I've tried them in my Stoeger Coach Gun. Good idea....but very dirty cartridge and hard to handle under stress.....

I'll stick with the 2 3/4" loads....